Non immigrant 0 1 year multiple entry visa

I Just got a 1 year non immigrant o multiple entry visa issued from the Thai embassy in London in the UK.

For being married to a Thai citizen, they didn't explain the requirements.

Could someone please clarify if I need to leave the country every 90 days? And if going to Lao from Nakhon phanom is an acceptable way of doing this.

Thanks Martin 

Each time you enter the country you can stay a maximum of 90 days. You must leave on or before the 90th day or apply for an extension of stay.

Any 90 day entry can be extended, once, by 60 days at your local immigration office for 1,900 baht.

Any 90 day entry can be extended by 1 year if you can meet the financial requirements of 40K income per month or 400K in the bank.

Yes it’s acceptable to exit/re-enter at the Laos border crossings. You must enter Laos before turning around and re-entering Thailand.

Edited by elviajero

Many thanks for your detailed responce, so I can potentially leave and enter 3-4 times in a year?

And renew in Bangkok before the year expires?

Just to also ask if me and my wife set up a business and it is in joint names 51% in her name and 49% in mine can I get a longer visa without 90 day runs?

Thanks there is very little info out there regarding these things

3 hours ago, Mart266 said:

Many thanks for your detailed responce, so I can potentially leave and enter 3-4 times in a year?

On entry you will be given 'permission to stay' for 90 days.

You can extend that permission to stay by 60 days at Immigration (1,900 baht).

You therefore wouldn't have to exit/re-enter for 5 months (then repeat).

If you exit/re-enter just before the 'enter before' date on your Visa, you will be given permission to stay for another 90 days, which again you can extend for 60 days.

If used correctly you can stay for almost 17 months, only exiting/re-entry 3 times.

You cannot renew your Visa in Bangkok.

Within the last 30 days of your 'permission to stay' you can apply for an extension based on marriage to a Thai at Immigration. (1,900 baht)

Your Visa has now expired, they extend your 'permission to stay' for 1 year.(A permit).

You can now make 90 day reports at your local Immigration office (instead of leaving the Country).

Unlike your Visa, this permit 'to stay' does not allow any exit/entries to the Country.

If for any reason you wish to leave during this 1 year period you must purchase a 're-entry permit' which will keep any remaining permission to stay valid on your return. (Single entry 1,000 baht - Multiple re-entry 3,800 baht).

To apply for an 'extension of stay' based on marriage to a Thai, you must be able to meet the financial requirement, which is;

400,000 baht deposit in a Thai bank for 2 months prior to the date of application, OR

proof of an income of 40,000 baht per month.

Working and opening a business in Thailand in another issue that I'll leave to someone more knowledgeable than myself. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mart266 said:

Presumably you do live within the catchment area of the Chaengwattana Immigration Office, do you?

If so, then, as already advised, you can apply for an annual extension of stay there.

Otherwise you will need to apply for an extension at the immigration office in whose catchment area your abode lies.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mart266 said:

Yes. 

9 hours ago, Mart266 said:

You can't get another Multiple Entry 'O' Visa in Bangkok. You would have to apply at an embassy/consulate outside of Thailand. The consulate in Savannakhet, Laos is the best place to apply in the region. 

You can only apply for extensions of stay at immigration offices inside the country.

10 hours ago, Mart266 said:

Just to also ask if me and my wife set up a business and it is in joint names 51% in her name and 49% in mine can I get a longer visa without 90 day runs?

No and there's no need. You are married so you don't need to link your permission to stay with any job or business. It is best to keep them separate, and it's never a good idea to set up a business just to get permission to stay.

You can own 49% of a business with any kind of visa entry/permit to stay. If you want to work for the business you will need to be employed and be issued with a work permit. As you are married you can apply for that work permit as long as you have a ME 'O' visa (90 day) entry, or a 1 year extension of stay based on marriage.

Extensions of stay based on marriage or employment are both limited to 1 year, and can be renewed inside Thailand at the end of each year. All the time you're using an ME 'O' visa to stay you'll need to leave every 90/150 days. The only way to avoid "90 day runs" is to extend your stay by 1 year. Once you have an extension of stay you need to report to immigration every 90 days, which can be done online, in person, by proxy, or by post.

If you are planning on living in Thailand full time it is best to get a 1 year extension of stay based on marriage as soon as possible, and renew it inside Thailand each year.

I really appreciate you all taking the time to respond to my posts.

My house in the UK is sold but going through solicitor process so hope it's all done by next month.

So yes it's a permanent move, we have not been able to have children and have been married 11 years.

Looking to adopt from a family member and the baby is due next month.

So to cut out visa runs I can extend for 60 days, or best option seems to be to apply for a 1 year marriage extension permit with proof of funds from house sale.

Does this need to be done in Bangkok immigration as will be living in Nakhon phanom area.

Thanks again elviajero and tanoshi and lite beer

13 minutes ago, Mart266 said:

So to cut out visa runs I can extend for 60 days, or best option seems to be to apply for a 1 year marriage extension permit with proof of funds from house sale.

Yes.

14 minutes ago, Mart266 said:

Does this need to be done in Bangkok immigration as will be living in Nakhon phanom area.

You need to apply at the immigration office that covers the catchment area of your address, which in your case would be the immigration office in Nakhon Phanom town.

Thanks again, so not to look to forward but again it's a permanent plan, does the 1 year marriage permit need to be renewed each year with proof of funds? And how long before i could potentially get citizenship?

Thank you

2 minutes ago, Mart266 said:

Thanks again, so not to look to forward but again it's a permanent plan, does the 1 year marriage permit need to be renewed each year with proof of funds?

You have to apply for a new extension every year and meet the financial requirements.

2 minutes ago, Mart266 said:

And how long before i could potentially get citizenship?

Three years if you are working  with a work permit and have paid taxes for those 3 years.

1 hour ago, Mart266 said:

does the 1 year marriage permit need to be renewed each year with proof of funds?

Yes, it is effectively a new application every year. So you have to provide the same documents, plus any new requirements that may have been added during the year, each year. Once you've done it the first time, and familiarised yourself with the procedure, it's very easy.

2 hours ago, Mart266 said:

Now you've better explained your situation, you have a second choice to avoid border runs.

If the funds from the sale of your house will be in your UK bank at the time of your move, you could apply for just the single entry Non Imm O Visa, which would give you an entry of 90 days.

Open a bank account and transfer sufficient funds.

When the funds have been in your Thai bank for 2 months you can apply immediately for the 1 year extension of stay based on marriage.

You can then make your 90 day reports at the local Immigration office in Nakhon Phanom and dispense with any border runs.

You can still extend the 90 day entry by 60 days = 150 days if you required more time.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

And how long before i could potentially get citizenship?

Three years if you are working  with a work permit and have paid taxes for those 3 years.

Well, that's when he would qualify to Begin The Process to become a citizen - but should expect years of paperwork, interviews, etc after that, before he would "get citizenship," if accepted. 
OP - read this thread on that topic for an idea:

Thanks so much guys, we have a bank account with Bangkok Bank in my wife's name, do I need to be added to the bank account to qualify for the 1 year marriage permit? Also I won't need to work for the first year, but have 7 acres of farmland we plan to generate future income, is it better to keep in my wife's name or joint?

Is renewing the marriage permit every year a way to get citizenship? 

Finally not related I have driven rental cars various times, we want to buy a car, does that need to be solely in my wife's name and how long can I use my UK driving license?

Thanks ever so much

Nobody has asked how old you are....if 50 or over you can change your visa to a retirement visa when in Thailand, this way you will only have to report to immigration every 90 days and never leave the Kingdom, easy to find what is needed by searching the forum....

good luck with your move, you will definitely need it (without going off topic)  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

35 minutes ago, Mart266 said:

Thanks so much guys, we have a bank account with Bangkok Bank in my wife's name, do I need to be added to the bank account to qualify for the 1 year marriage permit? Also I won't need to work for the first year, but have 7 acres of farmland we plan to generate future income, is it better to keep in my wife's name or joint?

Is renewing the marriage permit every year a way to get citizenship? 

Finally not related I have driven rental cars various times, we want to buy a car, does that need to be solely in my wife's name and how long can I use my UK driving license?

Thanks ever so much

• The 400K needs to be in an account in your sole name.
  • You can't own land. It will have to stay in your wife's name.
  • You need to have renewed your extension of stay (for whatever reason it's been granted) for at least 3 consecutive years.
  • You can buy a car in your name.
  • You should get a Thai drivers licence asap. Not sure, but I think officially you can use your UK licence with an International Driving Permit for about 6 months. But if you're living in the country you really should use a Thai licence. It's good for ID if nothing else.

Also I won't need to work for the first year, but have 7 acres of farmland we plan to generate future income, is it better to keep in my wife's name or joint?

Foreigners need a work permit to work and farming is prohibited.

Just keep it quite and never mention it to Immigration

You can grow vegetables for your own consumption on your own land though   :wink:

Thanks again for all comments all info helps, I am 36 years old so retirement visa is not an option.

Is it easy to get a Thai driving license?

Also what is required for a work permit?

It sounds easy to slip up if yourvnot aware of the rules, all your replies are much appreciated.

3 hours ago, Mart266 said:

Thanks again for all comments all info helps, I am 36 years old so retirement visa is not an option.

Is it easy to get a Thai driving license?

Also what is required for a work permit?

It sounds easy to slip up if yourvnot aware of the rules, all your replies are much appreciated.

• Yes it's easy to get a drivers licence from your local Land transport Office. You'll need to get a health certificate (standard) from a hospital/clinic, and an address certificate from your embassy/local Amphoe (district office)/immigration office. On the day you apply you take a few eye and reflex tests.
  • To get a work permit you need to be employed by a company. It could be your own company (49%) or a partnership with your wife. The requirements vary and they will only issue a work permit for certain jobs. As pointed out above, farming wouldn't be one. 

Many trades of work are prohibited to foreigners.

Being an expert in a particular field, or teaching English language in schools are probably the most common offering work opportunities to foreigners. Without the necessary qualifications or experience your not likely to be well paid or get a work permit.

At 36, have you really thought this move through.

No free medical, no benefits system and salaries a fraction of the UK average.

Even at retirement age you'd only be entitled to 20/35th of a UK state pension.

I can perfectly understand you want to live the dream, but reality can soon set in here.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mart266 said:

Also I won't need to work for the first year, but have 7 acres of farmland we plan to generate future income, is it better to keep in my wife's name or joint?

Do Not Invest Any Funds in Thailand which you cannot afford to lose.  This would fall into that category.  At the least, if you are paying for this land, get a ufstruct (long-term lease), so you have 100% full-rights to use it.  This isn't because I assume your wife isn't trustworthy or doesn't love you (I am married to a Thai woman, whom I trust) - it is because the laws of this country and cultural-norms make it necessary to prevent perverse-incentives from being created. 

You need to play cultural-chess here.  Do not assume her family see you at all in the same way that in-laws in the West would.  Make sure that your presence in your wife's life, as her husband, is the only path by which her family can gain any benefit from your existence.  Expect that they may be very cruel to her, to take wealth from you, because from their perspective, she "owes" them everything you have, in exchange for her existence.  Protecting yourself is also protecting her from emotional-blackmail, and your relationship from any incentive to break it.

On the matter of work - one reason to work, is to get health-insurance.  If you get a job, you can get state-medical for a very small fee, which can be paid monthly even after the job ends.  Other health-insurance here is cheaper than many Western countries (much cheaper), but will become difficult to keep as you get older. 

If planning on staying long-term, you should definitely get into the health-care system ASAP - even if it means teaching a year for no other reason.  This might be a good idea to do your first year, even if you don't "have to" work - and to prevent spending your home-sale capital-gains on existence-costs - capital you should try to hold onto, independently, forever, IMO.

• Like 1

I see exactly what your all saying and thanks for looking out for me, this is not a decision we have taken lightly.

I don't see my family over here, my wife is registered disabled and I left my job with the royal mail after 17 years to become her carer 18 months ago. We have no contact with anyone here, the money we get barely covers living costs, they also want us to pay back any payments towards our mortgage interest from April plus interest, we will probably end up in a council house, stuck in a rut so we see this as our only viable option, we may not have another chance. I have been to Thailand 10 times and am fully aware of who we can trust/ but in saying that we know you can' t trust anyone, we only paid 70,000 baht for 7 acres of farmland so it was a no brainer.

I have 20 years of governent pension and 15 years of private pension I can access from 55, will keep most money in savings account to accrue inteest, need to get a car and rent for a year while we get a house built.

New start new beginning, no where near tourist areas so lower costs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2018 at 8:55 PM, Tanoshi said:

On entry you will be given 'permission to stay' for 90 days.

You can extend that permission to stay by 60 days at Immigration (1,900 baht).

You therefore wouldn't have to exit/re-enter for 5 months (then repeat).

If you exit/re-enter just before the 'enter before' date on your Visa, you will be given permission to stay for another 90 days, which again you can extend for 60 days.

If used correctly you can stay for almost 17 months, only exiting/re-entry 3 times.

You cannot renew your Visa in Bangkok.

Within the last 30 days of your 'permission to stay' you can apply for an extension based on marriage to a Thai at Immigration. (1,900 baht)

Your Visa has now expired, they extend your 'permission to stay' for 1 year.(A permit).

You can now make 90 day reports at your local Immigration office (instead of leaving the Country).

Unlike your Visa, this permit 'to stay' does not allow any exit/entries to the Country.

If for any reason you wish to leave during this 1 year period you must purchase a 're-entry permit' which will keep any remaining permission to stay valid on your return. (Single entry 1,000 baht - Multiple re-entry 3,800 baht).

To apply for an 'extension of stay' based on marriage to a Thai, you must be able to meet the financial requirement, which is;

400,000 baht deposit in a Thai bank for 2 months prior to the date of application, OR

proof of an income of 40,000 baht per month.

Working and opening a business in Thailand in another issue that I'll leave to someone more knowledgeable than myself. 

with regards the bold underlined phrase (keep any remaining permission to stay valid on your return), does this mean the umber of days still left on the permission to stay when I leave are added to the date I return or that the date when the permission to stay is still in effect when I return?

5 minutes ago, thaibook said:

with regards the bold underlined phrase (keep any remaining permission to stay valid on your return), does this mean the umber of days still left on the permission to stay when I leave are added to the date I return or that the date when the permission to stay is still in effect when I return?

Days are not added. You are protecting the remaining days of your existing permit to stay.