Just bought two ultrasound dog repellers....

beautifulthailand99

.....for our forthcoming two month stay in the LOS. Bought two just to make sure if one fails then the second can hopefully save me. Have spent too many trips in the past running at full pelt when going on one of my strolls as packs of wild dogs tried to take lumps out of me. They were 10 quid each off Amazon and on a walkabout in the Uk today a couple of large red setters looked perturbed as I secretly set it off when walking past me. Will keep folk informed as to how they fare under the more extreme Thai conditions. Not this model btw....

Edited by beautifulthailand99

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Have spent too many trips in the past running at full pelt when going on one of my strolls as packs of wild dogs tried to take lumps out of me.

You should read up on canine psychology its way more effective than any of these devices will be.

Have you ever seen how wild dogs/wolves etc hunt? ...running is the worst thing you can do!

10 minutes ago, Air Smiles said:

You should read up on canine psychology its way more effective than any of these devices will be.

Have you ever seen how wild dogs/wolves etc hunt? ...running is the worst thing you can do!

thanks for that. I like to wander off the beaten track and I've been thwarted in Thailand more times than I care for. Maybe the device will give me the courage to stand my ground.

1. Don't make direct eye contact, and remember that sunglasses look like large unblinking eyes.
  2. Don't smile (it bares your teeth, which can be similarly threatening).
  3. Don't approach it, and don't make sudden moves or shout at them.
  4. Do keep an eye on it, and you can try calmly talking.

Oh and carry a stick and dog treats...

https://outdoors.stackexchange.com/questions/9674/should-i-run-if-i-see-wild-dogs

Edited by beautifulthailand99

I have also had a couple of bad experiences of aggressive dogs in Thailand and so sympathise with the OP. 

If I did go for a walk off the beaten track as the OP likes to I agree with him that you feel very vulnerable especially when wearing very little clothing in this hot Thailand weather.

I have no experience of the ultrasound whistles but i tend to think that they would have very limited effect against an aggressive dog that is pumped up into attack mode. I've never heard of criminals using them against security or police dogs.

I have concluded that if I do walk off the beaten track I would hate to be defenceless so for peace of mind I would carry:-

1. a retractable batten

2. a used "washing up liquid" container full of slightly diluted vinegar, one that will squirt quite a distance when squeezed.

I have never used either but in the past when I had nothing I was walking along a path by the side of a road and a very aggressive dog appeared in front of me. I stopped walking, I think I acted calmly but inside I was scared. I crossed the road. The dam thing followed me across the road but was eventually stopped by the  continuous traffic. I think the drivers could see my problem.

At that time if I had the above I would not have been afraid.

I would be interested if anyone has comments concerning the vinegar. I would only ever use it if a dog was obviously directly aggressive to me with a real danger of being bitten.

I watched successive, suggested videos after the one above.  Did seem to be a general correlation to pushing the button and the dog(s) body language and reaction.  Ears and/or body twitch was noticeable with several of them.  Some stopped moving and took notice, others seem to melt away, others not so much. 

But it is marketed like a cheap gadget, along the lines of the sales pitch and demonstration I observed in the middle east/Gulf years ago by those cheeky bomb detector guys.   What was it called - GT2000, or something like that. 

I built a powerful ultrasonic device to encourage our neighbor's dog not to sit next to our driveway and bark every time we drive in or out or a car drove by in the street and it worked. It looked like a radar gun and ran off 4 AA batteries. 

You could adjust just the frequency and sweep modulation. Just above my hearing range with 10-20 hz sweep worked best. 

The dog's ears went down and he went back in his own yard. 

They'll to avoid it but I don't think it would prevent a dog in attack mode. 

I’ve always carried a length of 1” diameter bamboo made into a hiking staff...so it’s light in weight and can inflict considerable pain. Certain dogs get surly with me but one menacing look and a couple of whoosh swings with that staff and they always back down. The one sure thing that frightens them is when I turn and pursue them. They always turn tail. The only thing a dog understands is strength and audacity. But having said that, I’ve also befriended dogs by handing out treats and gradually conditioning them to accept me as being no threat. The one cardinal rule here is...do not ever get bitten by a Thai dog as very few have had rabies shots. 

11 minutes ago, KhunMhee said:

Just remember that that mangy and sickly soi dog can turn out to be a prized family pet if it's hurt. Then the hand comes out for xxx compensation.

Precisely...that’s why I learn to recognize which ones are pets; yes, allowed to run free on the streets which irks me, but we have to keep the peace with our neighbors. In these instances a dog treat or two works better than the stick.  You have to carefully pick your battles...

Edited by Fore Man
Typo

Best thing is 1 meter piece of stainless steel twisted wire with not on the end for grip, it will role up and fit in pocket easy to carry and extract when needed.

they carn't see it so don't now whats happening, wont injure dog but the sting shocks them, next time when they see you cumming they disappear. 

11 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

thanks for that. I like to wander off the beaten track and I've been thwarted in Thailand more times than I care for. Maybe the device will give me the courage to stand my ground.

1. Don't make direct eye contact, and remember that sunglasses look like large unblinking eyes.
  2. Don't smile (it bares your teeth, which can be similarly threatening).
  3. Don't approach it, and don't make sudden moves or shout at them.
  4. Do keep an eye on it, and you can try calmly talking.

Oh and carry a stick and dog treats...

https://outdoors.stackexchange.com/questions/9674/should-i-run-if-i-see-wild-dogs

So it is you who is encroaching on their territory and you are surprised that they protect their own area.

33 minutes ago, hugh2121 said:

So it is you who is encroaching on their territory and you are surprised that they protect their own area.

...............their territory??.............thats ridiculous.......... if they come near me snarling, they get the stick, or a squirt of ammonia with hot pepper............somtimes a Dazer II does not work. 

The one sure thing that frightens them is when I turn and pursue them

This..

If you have the 'balls' to do this, I find it works every time. I used to do this when cycling or jogging in Phuket.

If a dog even 'thought' of giving me an aggressive look, I'd give them a 'Hey you! YES YOU!! Are you looking at me Jimmy??' and go after them at full pace.

I once chased a petrified dog right into some Thai's house.....

Suffice to say, all the local dogs AND all the local Thais decided that I was completely mad, and steered well clear of me. I was able to cycle and jog in peace, (with the exception of my mad ex-wife who didn't understand Billy Connelly slang and empathised with my mad outbursts).

And why is it that all the street dogs in Myanmar are scared of people? They run away when they see me. Did some Thai warn them? Edited by simon43

11 hours ago, ezzra said:

I wonder if it will work on human, there are some people I wish

that they keep away from me...

Nope...not only are human ears vastly inferior, but most of them don't listen anyway! :vampire:

2 hours ago, hugh2121 said:

yes you're right - but I come in peace - maybe the treats are the best defence and not being scared. Easier said than done - most scary experience to date was when walking by the side of the road (a scary thing in it's own right) on the road out of Hua Hin towards 'Venice' shopping mall and I spotted an abandoned soapy massage parlour entertainment complex by the side of the road. Thought it might be interesting to have a look around - after 60 seconds a whole pack was running at pace towards me - just about managed to get over the fence to safety. Maybe the rule in Thailand is stay out of things that don't concern you , don't be curious and stick to the straight and narrow if you want to be safe. 

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

This..

If you have the 'balls' to do this, I find it works every time. I used to do this when cycling or jogging in Phuket.

If a dog even 'thought' of giving me an aggressive look, I'd give them a 'Hey you! YES YOU!! Are you looking at me Jimmy??' and go after them at full pace.

I once chased a petrified dog right into some Thai's house.....

Suffice to say, all the local dogs AND all the local Thais decided that I was completely mad, and steered well clear of me. I was able to cycle and jog in peace, (with the exception of my mad ex-wife who didn't understand Billy Connelly slang and empathised with my mad outbursts).

And why is it that all the street dogs in Myanmar are scared of people? They run away when they see me. Did some Thai warn them?

we're all scared of jocks on the rampage !

zvcvyb53uf9252xibz4ea44a82b828d_mel-gibson-y-compania-en-braveheart-culos-a-tutiplen-xd.jpg?w=389&h=327