Just bought two ultrasound dog repellers....

beautifulthailand99

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, digger70 said:

You come across of a couple Mad dogs they won't stop for a toy like that ( They Don't Work on Real dogs) they Will take a piece out of you're ass before you know it.Sorry bud ,been tried and put in the Rubbish.

am off with the missus for a walk this afternoon in pussy Uk - no doubt the well behaved and softie UK dogs will respond - though as others have said Thai dogs are a whole different ball game. :saai:

The video wasn’t very convincing I must say.
I was bitten recently and am definitely looking for some protection, it’s easy to say not to show fear but not so easy in practice IMO .

I was thinking about the personal attack alarms ?
Was looking at one that is 143 decibels, that’s pretty damn loud, could hang it on the handlebars.

Anyone got any thoughts on these ?

( also thought that the nailed stick was just barbaric and hope it was some twisted joke )

8 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

The video wasn’t very convincing I must say.
I was bitten recently and am definitely looking for some protection, it’s easy to say not to show fear but not so easy in practice IMO .

I was thinking about the personal attack alarms ?
Was looking at one that is 143 decibels, that’s pretty damn loud, could hang it on the handlebars.

Anyone got any thoughts on these ?

( also thought that the nailed stick was just barbaric and hope it was some twisted joke )

Well that was just one model and I have two of an unbranded Amazon cheapie ! We shall see.  There doesn't seem to be a definitive answer just a mixture of diversion , treats and understanding canine psychology.  This is the one (two) that iv'e bought. An interesting comment under the video !

You just woke up a half-sleeping dog, that moved away to find a better place to sleep.The crucial point is if it works on an Angry Barking dog.Unfortunately we can't see that on this video.

Edited by beautifulthailand99

Well that was just one model and I have two of an unbranded Amazon cheapie ! We shall see.  There doesn't seem to be a definitive answer just a mixture of diversion , treats and understanding canine psychology.  This is the one (two) that iv'e bought.

The only way that's going to have any effect is if a nailed stick shoots out the end of it..

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Just now, lanng khao said:

The only way that's going to have any effect is if a nailed stick shoots out the end of it..

I think the consensus here is we are looking for vaguely Buddhist ways to have a safe walk / bike ride / stroll. I've heard Ko Chang can be a bit crazy out of season when the beach dogs don't have so much food given by the tourists so resort to going on the attack.

I think the consensus here is we are looking for vaguely Buddhist ways to have a safe walk / bike ride / stroll. I've heard Ko Chang can be a bit crazy out of season when the beach dogs don't have so much food given by the tourists so resort to going on the attack.
Of course mate, got carried away, you can always pray to bhuudda as your going through 3 weeks of rabies jabs in the hospital.

Well that was just one model and I have two of an unbranded Amazon cheapie ! We shall see.  There doesn't seem to be a definitive answer just a mixture of diversion , treats and understanding canine psychology.  This is the one (two) that iv'e bought. An interesting comment under the video !

You just woke up a half-sleeping dog, that moved away to find a better place to sleep.The crucial point is if it works on an Angry Barking dog.Unfortunately we can't see that on this video.    

Yes, the real test is on a dog that is angry or aggressive, but it does look interesting and worth a try.
Will be interested to hear how you make out with it .

19 hours ago, Air Smiles said:

You should read up on canine psychology its way more effective than any of these devices will be.

Have you ever seen how wild dogs/wolves etc hunt? ...running is the worst thing you can do!

You are right, so many people in this country are not even able to control dogs but dream that they could control Thai women.,,

Have just come back from a walk amongst the pampered English pooches of Kent - with the devices both hidden in my jacket pockets I sneakily zapped them on when passing any dogs. Maybe it was the traffic noise  , or the fact the devices were snuggled deep in my pockets but they appeared to have zero effect or at best they looked up barely distracted from their poo/wee seeking truffle noses. Maybe I should have just bought the one first.....still Thai dogs may be different.

16 hours ago, Fore Man said:

I’ve always carried a length of 1” diameter bamboo made into a hiking staff...so it’s light in weight and can inflict considerable pain. Certain dogs get surly with me but one menacing look and a couple of whoosh swings with that staff and they always back down. The one sure thing that frightens them is when I turn and pursue them. They always turn tail. The only thing a dog understands is strength and audacity. But having said that, I’ve also befriended dogs by handing out treats and gradually conditioning them to accept me as being no threat. The one cardinal rule here is...do not ever get bitten by a Thai dog as very few have had rabies shots. 

I tried your method in our neighborhood, the first time I raised the stick to ward off a mean dog, he just got meaner and still came after me, not only that but every other dog in the neighborhood heard the commotion and started after me as well. There was no way I could defend myself from all sides...it was scary. I have found that rocks are better, and sometimes all it takes is to bend over and act like I am picking up rocks. 

20 hours ago, Keith5588 said:

I have also had a couple of bad experiences of aggressive dogs in Thailand and so sympathise with the OP. 

If I did go for a walk off the beaten track as the OP likes to I agree with him that you feel very vulnerable especially when wearing very little clothing in this hot Thailand weather.

I have no experience of the ultrasound whistles but i tend to think that they would have very limited effect against an aggressive dog that is pumped up into attack mode. I've never heard of criminals using them against security or police dogs.

I have concluded that if I do walk off the beaten track I would hate to be defenceless so for peace of mind I would carry:-

1. a retractable batten

2. a used "washing up liquid" container full of slightly diluted vinegar, one that will squirt quite a distance when squeezed.

I have never used either but in the past when I had nothing I was walking along a path by the side of a road and a very aggressive dog appeared in front of me. I stopped walking, I think I acted calmly but inside I was scared. I crossed the road. The dam thing followed me across the road but was eventually stopped by the  continuous traffic. I think the drivers could see my problem.

At that time if I had the above I would not have been afraid.

I would be interested if anyone has comments concerning the vinegar. I would only ever use it if a dog was obviously directly aggressive to me with a real danger of being bitten.

Cleaning ammonia and water 50/50 or a bamboo switch work too if common dog psychology fails.

Edited by The Deerhunter

15 hours ago, hugh2121 said:

So it is you who is encroaching on their territory and you are surprised that they protect their own area.

LOL pure nonsense! Are you telling me a soi belongs to a dog? SMH this world does not belong to the dogs bud I would bet you're a dog lover and that's awesome. But a soi dog or even an unruly one should know its place. Protecting the home is fine but extending its territory is a no go. I have had big dogs all my life and would not think twice to educating one that thought I was in it's territory.

To the OP, I reckon your ultrasound devices will work to a certain extent, but not as advertised.

They will likely boost your self confidence while dealing with the dogs you encounter, but that's it. And sometimes that is all that is needed.

If someone can show me these things working successfully on a security dog or attack dog then I might start believing.

Personal opinion of course..........:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, chrisinth said:

To the OP, I reckon your ultrasound devices will work to a certain extent, but not as advertised.

They will likely boost your self confidence while dealing with the dogs you encounter, but that's it. And sometimes that is all that is needed.

If someone can show me these things working successfully on a security dog or attack dog then I might start believing.

Personal opinion of course..........:thumbsup:

Yes, self confidence is the only problem. Show to a dog that you are scared and he will attack you. Show that you have bigger balls than him and he will cry.

I have never needed anything even against big aggressive dogs.

On 1/7/2018 at 2:13 AM, beautifulthailand99 said:

....for our forthcoming two month stay in the LOS. Bought two just to make sure if one fails then the second can hopefully save me. Have spent too many trips in the past running at full pelt when going on one of my strolls as packs of wild dogs tried to take lumps out of me. They were 10 quid each off Amazon and on a walkabout in the Uk today a couple of large red setters looked perturbed as I secretly set it off when walking past me. Will keep folk informed as to how they fare under the more extreme Thai conditions. Not this model btw....

Probably a good thing that you steered clear of this particular model based on my mixed experiences of using it on the soi mutts round here. Some do run a mile but others just stand their ground and bark even more loudly than before.

Hope you have better luck here with the model which you have purchased.

i have bought a small taser from a shop on pattaya beach rd {not used it yet}  . i have noticed that the last dog that bit me, now has a muzzle...what a pity, i was dying to try the laser on it...i"m also a little concerned about how thais will react if they see me using it??

i have bought a small taser from a shop on pattaya beach rd {not used it yet}  . i have noticed that the last dog that bit me, now has a muzzle...what a pity, i was dying to try the laser on it...i"m also a little concerned about how thais will react if they see me using it??

Maybe not a good idea to use it on a dog if you suspect it might have an owner !

Youve got to remember that these dogs arnt the little lovable shitzus or dogs as we know them, these <deleted>@kers are almost wild, and when the pack mentality kicks in its everyman for himself, if I've got get the spray out or the snout tickler to save myself multiple injections and a 6000 baht bill, then that's what going to happen..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, lanng khao said:

Youve got to remember that these dogs arnt the little lovable shitzus or dogs as we know them, these <deleted>@kers are almost wild, and when the pack mentality kicks in its everyman for himself, if I've got get the spray out or the snout tickler to save myself multiple injections and a 6000 baht bill, then that's what going to happen..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Packs, I will generally drive off the most confident dog first, and the rest generally will follow or just stand there and bark. Most don't have the confidence to really act on an attack if they know they aren't backed up by the rest of the pack. I think that is where people get worried. They are fearful of just a bit of talking (or growling). That all it is most of the time, talking - 'we are so scared, please go away from us'. The problem is when people become more scared of the scared dog (fear bite). 

Edited by wildewillie89