Eleven Saudi princes detained following protest over utility bills

rooster59

Eleven Saudi princes detained following protest over utility bills

By Stephen Kalin and Aziz El Yaakoubi

RIYADH/DUBAI (Reuters) - Saudi Arabian authorities have detained 11 princes after they gathered at a royal palace in Riyadh in a rare protest against the government suspending payment of their utility bills, the public prosecutor said on Saturday.

Saudi Arabia, the world's top oil exporter, has introduced reforms that include reducing energy subsidies, introducing value-added tax and cutting some perks to royal family members to try to cope with a drop in crude prices that has caused a budget deficit estimated at 195 billion riyals (£38.4 billion) in 2018.

The princes had gathered on Thursday at Qasr al-Hokm palace demanding the cancellation of a recent decree that halted state payment of water and electricity bills for royal family members and seeking compensation for a death sentence implemented in 2016 against one of their cousins, Prince Turki bin Saud al-Kabeer.

"Despite being informed that their demands are not lawful, the 11 princes refused to leave the area, disrupting public peace and order. Members of a security services stepped in to restore order and the princes were arrested," the public prosecutor's statement said, without identifying the princes.

"Following their arrest, they have been charged on a number of counts in relation to these offences. They are detained at Al-Hayer prison south of the capital pending their trial."

News website Sabq earlier identified the leader of the group of princes by the initials S.A.S. The Saud al-Kabeer branch of the House of Saud descend from a cousin of late King Abdulaziz, who founded the modern kingdom.

The meteoric rise of 32-year-old Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, the king's favoured son, and his ambitious, sometimes aggressive, policies have caused rare tensions within the royal family, which for decades favoured rule by consensus.

Dozens of prices, high officials and senior businessmen were rounded up in November in a crackdown on graft that has boosted Prince Mohammed's power.

They have been held at the five-star Ritz-Carlton hotel in Riyadh while government officials negotiate financial settlements, asking them to hand over assets and cash in return for their freedom.

The round-up followed a meticulously planned palace coup in June through which Prince Mohammed ousted his elder cousin Prince Mohammed bin Nayef as heir to the throne.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-01-07

Yeah, of course. You can´t protest against a bill. All bills are supposed to be honoured and respected.

Just look at the US, and "The Bill of Rights" That´s a big bill, so don´t come here and complain you little cry babies! :cheesy:

59 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

The princes had gathered on Thursday at Qasr al-Hokm palace demanding the cancellation of a recent decree that halted state payment of water and electricity bills for royal family members

Welcome to the real world, boys. 

Took a look at belw website which gives cost of living in Saudi Arabia in any currency...I set it to baht...see below snapshot as to what the average utilities cost is for a 915 sq/ft apartment...answer is Bt1,389.    But I do realize the palaces these princes live in are probably a little bigger than 915 sq/ft....expect the closet in each palace room is that big.  Poor princes....maybe they should start a GoFundMe page.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_result.jsp?country=Saudi+Arabia&displayCurrency=THB

Capture.JPG.17689be280c628748bfa19f2457a43c3.JPG

Good job then!

Those Royals have been living the high life ever since oil money started to flow and think they can do anything.

I stayed in a "guest palace" that was built for a palace but never used, so it was given to a hotel chain to use. I couldn't believe the grandeur of the place, and that the palace itself would obviously have been grander by several degrees of magnitude.

Meanwhile, the people that build the palaces and work as servants in the kingdom are treated badly and exploited.

Shame on the royals and I hope they are all taken down by several pegs.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

It doesn't sound too harsh to expect wealthy Saudis to pay their own electric and water bills.

They simply have to train their several wives and ex-wives to switch off lights and flush less.

LOL. 

They usually have up to but no more than 4 current wives, each of which has to have her own palace to live in. The ex wives also have to have a palace to live in.

Given by the number of servants they seem to have I doubt they even know what a light switch is.

10 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Oh the poor, Rich people. I thought living in a deser was paradise.

I feel poor everytime I go to the desert of Las Vegas, so would also

feel poor in the Arabian desert I guess. Pay your bills you Guys!

Geezer

LOL. Princes don't live in the desert since they were able to desalinate seawater. Their palaces are in cities with loads of trees.