opening PayPal account in Thailand ?

tethered goat

Tried and failed previously as my credit cards are registered in UK, didn't bother me at the time but more often these days PayPal is the only option.I do not want to go through the bother of getting Thai credit card.I only have a "be first" debit card from Bangkok Bank has anyone tried successfully to use this to join PP or are there any other ways of registering with PP. Thankyou

2 hours ago, DLock said:

Why do you need a credit card for PayPal? Just open a PayPal account and link it to your Bangkok Bank account and use the card to access money in the account.

Do not really understand your reply. The only reason i need a PP account is to pay for things online, i am unable to open a PP account because i live in Thailand and my credit cards are from a UK bank.This seems to be very much a PP rule ,you must live in the same country as your credit card in order to even complete the initial form.Are you suggesting that i can link my Thai savings account somehow to PP, if this is the case please could you explain a little bit more as the online form to register with PP does not let me past the first page once it compares my address and bank.Thankyou.

I am surprised UK banks allow addresses outside of the union if you are living in Thailand. My PayPal account uses a Spanish bank account (not credit card) with a Spanish address I sold 10 years back because I never got to changing it. I have a PP account with an address different to my bank address.

You'll have to open a new paypal account, (from Thailand) and link it to a Thai bank account,, If I remember correctly, the email used in the new PayPal account, needs to be from Thailand also,, but I could be wrong, it's been awhile since I did it,,, 

• Like 1

I have a Thai Pay Pal account as well as one in Aust.

Linked it to Krungthai debit card easy but could not use same email address as for Aust account. Opened a second Gmail account and have been using now for 2 or 3 years with no problems.

Not sure why you can't use your BKK debit card for purchases online. You may have to go to your bank and have them set up the card for those purchases. Not a big deal.

The key for opening a PayPal account is to have a new email address (not associated with another PayPal account) and a TH bank account. You can then associate your PayPal account with your BKK Bank debit card and then you can make purchases online at sites such as eBay which only accept PayPal for payments.

Actually quite an easy thing to accomplish.

BTW, you can get a Be 1st card with VISA if you bitch and complain enough with the BKK Bank. They told me it was not available but then relented when I complained. Good luck.

I had an Australian PayPal account for many years and I wanted to keep it so had to open new one here with a new email addy as others have said. I linked it to my BBL Be 1st savings account but PayPal will not pay some items without a "backup" account. I just transferred cash from my Australian PayPal account to the Thai one and used the balance as primary payment with the BBL card as backup. Now I have a Thai credit card so it is the backup.

49 minutes ago, Adeeos said:

If I remember correctly, the email used in the new PayPal account, needs to be from Thailand also,, but I could be wrong, it's been awhile since I did it,,, 

Not correct. I used my very old hotmail address for my Thai PayPal account.

You don’t mention what items you want to buy .. I have a kasikorn K-Cyber and a PayPal.TH - I earn a living from th e web and get paid from PP. I don’t remember if the account is linked to my card or bank a/c.

i think from memory, a lot of things in the thread are true, I remember opening an account at .TH and using a different email, wether that’s necessary, there is also a step of confirming your address - PayPal put some small credits into your account - we can’t do this as the banking system isn’t set up for the additional notes on your statement.

Last month, I had an issue and thought I had $5000 taken from my PP account, I called a Bangkok number, and spoke to PayPal customer service. Honestly, the best phone service I had ever had in 10 years of living here - I asked the guy, why he wasn’t earning a living training phone operatives - he replied, he was in Malaysia. He then credited me $10 as a New Years gift.

Anyway, what I’m saying, if you have any issues, speak to PayPal. 

Edited by recom273

8 minutes ago, recom273 said:

i think from memory, a lot of things in the thread are true, I remember opening an account at .TH and using a different email, wether that’s necessary, there is also a step of confirming your address - PayPal put some small credits into your account - we can’t do this as the banking system isn’t set up for the additional notes on your statement.

I did this for both my savings account and credit Card through Bangkok Bank. In fact I had not received my first CC statement with the code and I phoned them to obtain a statement so I could see the code but the guy I talked to understood what I meant and gave me the code over the phone. I have now received my statement and the code is listed. in the form of "PP*1111CODE"

2 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

I did this for both my savings account and credit Card through Bangkok Bank. In fact I had not received my first CC statement with the code and I phoned them to obtain a statement so I could see the code but the guy I talked to understood what I meant and gave me the code over the phone. I have now received my statement and the code is listed. in the form of "PP*1111CODE"

That’s rather strange because the issue why i was having with my account was that I hadn’t confirmed it, the guy explained that it wasn’t possible in SEA and sent me an email to send to the eBay seller explaining the situation, then they could un-check a box allowing me to purchase the item.

The point I was making was PP have a local telephone number to amazing helpline .. if the poster needs some info then call the infoline, but it seems like we have our own expert here already.

5 minutes ago, recom273 said:

That’s rather strange because the issue why i was having with my account was that I hadn’t confirmed it, the guy explained that it wasn’t possible in SEA and sent me an email to send to the eBay seller explaining the situation, then they could un-check a box allowing me to purchase the item.

The point I was making was PP have a local telephone number to amazing helpline .. if the poster needs some info then call the infoline, but it seems like we have our own expert here already.

Typical. I am not claiming to be an expert just stating FACTS as has happened to me that helps the OP and not I THINKS. You have helped the OP with your comments about the telephone number and I am just trying to help in others. Or maybe you are the self proclaimed expert and only what you say is correct.

And it is possible. I will send photo of my statement if you are so disbelieving.

Edited by Dazinoz

1 minute ago, Dazinoz said:

Typical. I am not claiming to be an expert just stating FACTS as has happened to me that helps the OP and not I THINKS.

And it is possible. I will send photo of my statement if you are so disbelieving.

Honestly mate, save yourself the time .. I have no interest I looking at your statement .. maybe you should concentrate upon the other threads where you constantly call people out, I’m off to enjoy my day. Ciao.

• Like 1

Just now, recom273 said:

Honestly mate, save yourself the time .. I have no interest I looking at your statement .. maybe you should concentrate upon the other threads where you constantly call people out, I’m off to enjoy my day. Ciao.

Have a great day.

I opened a Thai PayPal account using my Bangkok Bank ATM card because I was afraid that shippers on eBay would only ship to your "registered" PayPal address so I though necessary to have a Thai address in my profile 

Seems though that for the last two years I have used my US PayPal account and so far no one has refused to ship to Thailand and my payments are in dollars, not in Thai Baht , so I am ahead of the game 

You can open a Thai PayPal with a Bangkok bank savings Debit card. You won’t need a Thai email address, but you’ll need to use a different email address to the one you registered with your UK PayPal though. 

I set set mine up a few years ago with no real problems. Assume it’s all still the same. 

6 hours ago, Headgame said:

Not sure why you can't use your BKK debit card for purchases online. You may have to go to your bank and have them set up the card for those purchases. Not a big deal.

The key for opening a PayPal account is to have a new email address (not associated with another PayPal account) and a TH bank account. You can then associate your PayPal account with your BKK Bank debit card and then you can make purchases online at sites such as eBay which only accept PayPal for payments.

Actually quite an easy thing to accomplish.

BTW, you can get a Be 1st card with VISA if you bitch and complain enough with the BKK Bank. They told me it was not available but then relented when I complained. Good luck.

Correction eBay accepts payments by credit card, MasterCard or Visa Cards and from PayPal.

4 hours ago, Andy32 said:

You can open a Thai PayPal with a Bangkok bank savings Debit card. You won’t need a Thai email address, but you’ll need to use a different email address to the one you registered with your UK PayPal though. 

I set set mine up a few years ago with no real problems. Assume it’s all still the same. 

I set up mine just last year using my Bangkok bank savings debit card and it was fairly easy.  Couldn't process any online purchase at first so I called PayPal call center (that time it was still a Singapore number) and was told my account was set and the problem was with my bank. When I called Bangkok bank and explained about the PayPal issue, I was asked to set a maximum amount of payment per day. Did you have to set this amount before? I did this through their call center (had to key in my card number, pin, etc). Now everything works perfectly :smile:  

6 hours ago, lordblackader said:

Pro tip - if you have a gmail account you can add a virtual second address using the + sign.

For example, if your current gmail address is

[email protected]

You can use 

[email protected]

with all the emails coming into the original account. It's exactly what I did to set up my Thai Paypal account. 

Thanks for the tip.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2018 at 3:53 PM, tethered goat said:

The only reason i need a PP account is to pay for things online, i am unable to open a PP account because i live in Thailand and my credit cards are from a UK bank.T

You need to open a bank account in Thailand and then you will get a visa debit card number to shop with online. This number you can connect to a new paypal account in Thailand . I use Kasikorn bank myself but also Bangkok Bank will work . 

If your money is in a UK bank , just transfer them to your Thai bank account and your good to go . 

7 minutes ago, balo said:

You need to open a bank account in Thailand and then you will get a visa debit card number to shop with online. This number you can connect to a new paypal account in Thailand . I use Kasikorn bank myself but also Bangkok Bank will work . 

If your money is in a UK bank , just transfer them to your Thai bank account and your good to go . 

I use my AU CITI because my money is AU

I only use PayPal on foreign card

ATM is for Thai card. So depends where his money comes from. If UK no keep your UK and login to computer in UK register PayPal to easy

Just now, Media1 said:

I use my AU CITI because my money is AU

I only use PayPal on foreign card

ATM is for Thai card. So depends where his money comes from. If UK no keep your UK and login to computer in UK register PayPal to easy

No BKK BANK. Debt cards all over only stupid UNION PAY

• 5 months later...
No BKK BANK. Debt cards all over only stupid UNION PAY

You can certainly get a Visa debit card, good everywhere Visa is welcome, including online.
However, you have to push to get the bank to issue a Visa card. Just refuse the Union Pay card and demand a Visa card.
Worked for me a few months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk