Nissan X-Trail 4WD - Intial thoughts

Kinnock

The asking prices for used SUV's like X-Trail, CR-V and CX-5 all seem pretty close so I do not see any major Nissan disadvantage.  The new prices are also very close.  Honda seem to have lost a lot of the advantage they once had.

The PPV's definitely hold their value better but they are larger and more pick up like to drive.  

2 hours ago, Jitar said:

The asking prices for used SUV's like X-Trail, CR-V and CX-5 all seem pretty close so I do not see any major Nissan disadvantage.  The new prices are also very close.  Honda seem to have lost a lot of the advantage they once had.

The PPV's definitely hold their value better but they are larger and more pick up like to drive.  

Thanks.  That's good to hear.  You mention the CX5 - the face lifted model was at the show, but her view was interesting ..... "HR-V is small outside, and big inside, but CX-5 is big outside, small inside"

While I'm thinking about residuals, safety, handling, she's thinking about how many family members it can carry.?

5 hours ago, Jitar said:

You got me thinking about used values, as to be honest I hadn't actually checked my assumption.  Looking on ThaiCar.com, I can find some of the old model X-trails at similar prices to the same year old model CR-V's.  As you say, the prices don't seem to be as strong as Fortunas, but the mid sized SUV's seem to be around the same price on the used market.

Couple of examples from today:  2014 X-Trail (old model) asking 690,000.  2015 CR-V (old model) asking 690,000.

Of course they may fetch different prices in the end, but the difference is not as obvious as I thought it would be.

Edited by Kinnock

8 hours ago, bearpolar said:

thanks for the review,.. i really wanted to get an everest but this is steering me back to xtrail for our long 2000km trips.

Difficult choice.  Both good cars for long distance, both currently have 0% credit.  If it was just me driving and we didn't live in central Bangkok, I'd probably go for the Everest.  Diesel for torque and economy, traditional auto box, similar equipment levels, more airbags and only a little more costly.  But my partner was not confident driving the Everest in traffic, and for parking in city center malls and airports the extra length can be an issue.  Also - after our last two long drives, I do think the "car like" unibody design and more sophisticated suspension gives the X-Trail a significantly better ride than any truck based SUV.

The interior of the X-Trail also feels more spacious.  I think the chassis compromises interior space in truck based SUV's, so although the Everest is a bit taller, the interior has less space for driver and passenger than the X-Trail.  I'm 6 ft tall, and with seat set high I could still wear a top hat and drive the X-Trail (you never know when this capability may be essential), whereas in both the Fortuna and the Everest I need to set the seat low.

If you are used to the comfort of a mid sized saloon, and expect this or better in your SUV - go for the X-Trail.  If you're coming from a pick-up truck and would be happy with a slightly better ride - go for the Everest.

Thanks kin, Will probably just do that and get a depreciated ranger to haul stuff around/go to the beach.

Xtrail is easy to park? we live in phuket town so lots of traffic and small parking spots. HRV was perfect for this but a bit small inside for our needs(big family)

19 hours ago, bearpolar said:

Thanks kin, Will probably just do that and get a depreciated ranger to haul stuff around/go to the beach.

Xtrail is easy to park? we live in phuket town so lots of traffic and small parking spots. HRV was perfect for this but a bit small inside for our needs(big family)

Yes - X-Trail is easy to park.  It's the size of a mid sized sedan car, steering is light, lock is tight enough.  Visibility is decent, although the raised 'sweep' of the rear windows restricts rearward vision a little - but the excellent 360 degree camera system gives you a handy birds-eye view of the car and its surroundings to check on how you're doing.  I think the added height and large glass area makes parking easier than the HR-V, as you have better visibility, and I found the HR-V a bit 'closed in' at the back. 

And today I got to try the auto windscreen wipers - rain in January, very odd - but the wiper system works well.

On 09/01/2018 at 11:58 AM, Kinnock said:

Difficult choice.  Both good cars for long distance, both currently have 0% credit.  If it was just me driving and we didn't live in central Bangkok, I'd probably go for the Everest.  Diesel for torque and economy, traditional auto box, similar equipment levels, more airbags and only a little more costly.  But my partner was not confident driving the Everest in traffic, and for parking in city center malls and airports the extra length can be an issue.  Also - after our last two long drives, I do think the "car like" unibody design and more sophisticated suspension gives the X-Trail a significantly better ride than any truck based SUV.

The interior of the X-Trail also feels more spacious.  I think the chassis compromises interior space in truck based SUV's, so although the Everest is a bit taller, the interior has less space for driver and passenger than the X-Trail.  I'm 6 ft tall, and with seat set high I could still wear a top hat and drive the X-Trail (you never know when this capability may be essential), whereas in both the Fortuna and the Everest I need to set the seat low.

If you are used to the comfort of a mid sized saloon, and expect this or better in your SUV - go for the X-Trail.  If you're coming from a pick-up truck and would be happy with a slightly better ride - go for the Everest.

How long does the 0% credit last for? 

The whole duration or just for the first year or two? 

I also was today in a Nissan showroom to check the X-Trail.

My wife love especially the 360 degree bird view cameras. Which makes it much easier to park. And with the 2.0V Version you have almost every option which you can add in it.

I am also interested in the Honda HR-V or MG GS 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kinnock said:

0% is for the whole duration.  4 years.  I put 50% down, but could have gone as low as 20%

That sounds very reasonable by Thai standards

If you have the cash to buy it outright anyway, you might as well take the credit option and put your cash in a term deposit account you make interest on

Is there no downside? 

10 hours ago, speedtripler said:

That sounds very reasonable by Thai standards

If you have the cash to buy it outright anyway, you might as well take the credit option and put your cash in a term deposit account you make interest on

Is there no downside? 

Yes - I had the cash, but used the 0% for half the cost.  Only downside I can see, is that you don't get the car documents until end of the agreement, so you need to get a form from the local police station if you want t to take the car out of Thailand.

I may clear the loan early for that reason, but was planning to buy property, so the unexpected extra cash could be handy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

Yes - I had the cash, but used the 0% for half the cost.  Only downside I can see, is that you don't get the car documents until end of the agreement, so you need to get a form from the local police station if you want t to take the car out of Thailand.

I may clear the loan early for that reason, but was planning to buy property, so the unexpected extra cash could be handy.

Don't look a gift house in the mouth lol

Take the free credit for as long as you can 

Are other manufacturers doing this as well or just Nissan? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, speedtripler said:

Don't look a gift house in the mouth lol

Take the free credit for as long as you can 

Are other manufacturers doing this as well or just Nissan? 

Ford also offering 0%.  

I don't know how Tisco make any money on this free credit, unless Nissan/Ford pay them?  But I asked if they will give a bigger discount if I don't take the 0% deal, and they said it's the other way around - bigger discount if you do take the 0% deal.

31 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

Ford also offering 0%.  

I don't know how Tisco make any money on this free credit, unless Nissan/Ford pay them?  But I asked if they will give a bigger discount if I don't take the 0% deal, and they said it's the other way around - bigger discount if you do take the 0% deal.

Cool, that would offset the depreciation of on a new vehicle if you keep 80% of your money in a term deposit account and pay it off as slowly as possible 

As to why they do it, I can only guess that maybe it's the only way they can sell cars to thais who don't have  cash lying around to just buy it outright ... 

The business model probably wasn't designed for farangs who can throw down a couple of million on the desk and drive away happy they got "free credit" ... :smile:

• Like 1

On 1/9/2018 at 3:28 PM, Kinnock said:

The X-Trail interior is remarkable spacious considering the external size.  It is a good around town.

The Everest is larger but most of the extra internal space is in the 3rd row seats or cargo area.  I prefer the Everest on the highway because road noise is much less than the X-Trail.  The Everest steering is better at high speed IMO.   

My experience is based on the 2.5L X-Trail and 3.2L Everest Titanium.  

Fuel consumption of the X-Trail 10L/km, Everest 9km/L.  Both in similar conditions.  The extra efficiency of the diesel Everest off set by the extra 500kg is has to drag around.  Neither of these would win any drag races but the X-Trail CVT does a good job of keeping the engine responsive.  The Everest feels more gutsy to drive though. 

What i like about the xtrail is the seat and ride comfort, the 2.0 engine is reasonably refined and its just so practical. Also the engine is nice and easy to check, everything is accessable when you open the hood

The look of the xtrail kind of remind me of Land Rovers

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Thanks for the review, we've been looking for an SUV for my Thai wife and the X-Trail is currently leading the pack, mainly because of it's looks and it really was extremely comfortable to drive, seems to have very good build quality too. Very spacious car. Only let down is the stereo, it's a bit old-school. (Also discovered it's called the Nissan Rogue in the USA and is one of the world's biggest selling SUV's)

We looked at the CR-V - I think Honda has lost some of their quality, I also hear there are major issues with their engines, there was a massive recall in China and the regulators even got involved and stopped them selling them for a while.

Toyota's RAV4 is also a bit long in the tooth, the interior design is a bit messy, another brand living off past reputation. 

I'd prefer a larger car, but I think for my wife it's just too much effort driving a Pajero Sport/Fortuner around the city which is 95% of her driving. Plus the short trips aren't good for diesel engines apparently

Edited by kiwisr
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kiwisr said:

Thanks for the review, we've been looking for an SUV for my Thai wife and the X-Trail is currently leading the pack, mainly because of it's looks and it really was extremely comfortable to drive, seems to have very good build quality too. Very spacious car. Only let down is the stereo, it's a bit old-school. (Also discovered it's called the Nissan Rogue in the USA and is one of the world's biggest selling SUV's)

We looked at the CR-V - I think Honda has lost some of their quality, I also hear there are major issues with their engines, there was a massive recall in China and the regulators even got involved and stopped them selling them for a while.

Toyota's RAV4 is also a bit long in the tooth, the interior design is a bit messy, another brand living off past reputation. 

I'd prefer a larger car, but I think for my wife it's just too much effort driving a Pajero Sport/Fortuner around the city which is 95% of her driving. Plus the short trips aren't good for diesel engines apparently

Try the Mazda CX5 - you would be surprised how good it is compared to X-Trail

1 hour ago, kiwisr said:

If your wife is in Thailand, the Rav 4 is not sold.  
The X-Trail is very comfortable, spacious and easy to drive but not particularly sporty. 

The CX-5 is smaller but more sporty.

I found the CR-V to be in between these two but I have only rented them a few times for work.  

The PPV's in Thailand do not have DPF so short trips are not a problem.  They are more cumbersome to drive around town though.  

• 1 month later...

Kinnock

Enjoyed your excellent lengthy review and subsequent comments.

After weeks of deliberation, trips to car showrooms and BITEC car show twice we're currently thinking of getting a x-trail but undecided on 2L 2wd or 4wd. So knowing what you know about the 2L 4wd version, if you were to buy TODAY, would you still go for the 4wd or would you go for the 2wd?

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 1:04 PM, Bredbury Blue said:

Kinnock

Enjoyed your excellent lengthy review and subsequent comments.

After weeks of deliberation, trips to car showrooms and BITEC car show twice we're currently thinking of getting a x-trail but undecided on 2L 2wd or 4wd. So knowing what you know about the 2L 4wd version, if you were to buy TODAY, would you still go for the 4wd or would you go for the 2wd?

That's a good question.  We've only used 4WD once since buying it, and that was due to a spectacular failure of Google Maps that led us into a muddy track up a steep hill.  We also left it in 'Auto' mode once on a long trip, and it had a major impact on the fuel consumption - so 2WD mode is it standard state for 99.9% of its use.

I also think the 2WD X-Trail is spectacular value for money.

But having said all that - I'd still go for 4WD again if I was buying today (and I'd also still go for an X-Trail as there's still nothing in the sector to beat it in my view). Why 4WD?  Well I could say that it was very useful the one time we really needed the extra traction - but I'm pretty sure 2WD would have been OK with a bit of sliding and wheel spinning.  The real reason is that the 4WD just makes it a 'proper' SUV in my mind.  Not logical, there's cost and weight implications, but I just like to know it's there if I really needed it.  I also think resale may be better.