Heater brand?

Captor

Hi

I am going to buy 2 heater and I wonder what brand to chose?

Panasonic seems to be the most known brand here in Bangkok but at Homepro they are promoting a lot for another brand that I not remember the name of.

Also there is a German brand name Stiebel Eltron.

Anyway, my question is what is the most reliable brand here in Thailand at the moment?

Thanks in advance

Captor

2 hours ago, Lamkyong said:

to heat what  ??might get a more advanced  reply

I am sure he is asking about on-demand hot water heaters

I am also building a house right now and I am not in Thailand right now to research the problem, Wife will be buying two On-demand hot water heaters but knows litle about these things, So I would also be interested to see some of the answers in this Thread.

Assuming you mean water heaters?

The answer is....depends on which part of Thailand you live in, if you live in the North and you want hot or at least warm water in the winter months when it's often quite cold, get the more powerful version of whatever brand rocks your boat. We've got three Siebel units in Chiang Mai and even on the highest setting, they won't heat the water during the really cold spells, that's a function of the wattage, not the brand..

I've had to replace a Stiebel multipoint because the replacement element contact which blew meant a new element which was too expensive.

Funny thing is I've given several old units replaced from condos to grandma, sis-in-law, and still have one old one. Thing is they are all names you wouldn't recognise, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were lower end, but they have all three run fault-free.

For multipoint I would probably still go Stiebel as they're a nice small box to hide away.

Hi again, yes sorry, I forgot to mention that it is water heating on demand for shower and for 2 wash beds in a hair salon of my gf. And the location is Bangkok as I wrote in the topic.

Panasonic seems to be the number 1 brand here. But also Stiebel and this other brand what I not remember. Not a noname but also not a well known name. But they said on homepro that many of the details inside are Panasonic parts and the little tank has only 1 welding instead of 2 in Panasonic and Stiebel. And also the tank is tested and certified which Panasonic and Stiebel not are. Price wise they are all in the same level. Maybe Stiebel is a little bit more expensive. But the price is not the most interesting. The quality is.

3 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Assuming you mean water heaters?

The answer is....depends on which part of Thailand you live in, if you live in the North and you want hot or at least warm water in the winter months when it's often quite cold, get the more powerful version of whatever brand rocks your boat. We've got three Siebel units in Chiang Mai and even on the highest setting, they won't heat the water during the really cold spells, that's a function of the wattage, not the brand..

Really? Wow! OK, that is nice to know. Most common seems to be 4500 W. Fpr multipoint it seems to be 6000-6500W. Maybe you should have a multipoint heater in Chiang Mai? Siebel has a nice one. Very small.

2 hours ago, Captor said:

Really? Wow! OK, that is nice to know. Most common seems to be 4500 W. Fpr multipoint it seems to be 6000-6500W. Maybe you should have a multipoint heater in Chiang Mai? Siebel has a nice one. Very small.

If you want warm water in the cold season, go for 6,000w or higher.

• Like 1

I have 2 Sharp 6000W heaters that are over 12 years old and still working.  You didn't say whether it is a new build or not and if it is already pre-wired.  You will have to insure that they are wired with the correct wire size.  Mine are wired with 4MM2 wire and 32A breakers.

1 hour ago, cheeryble said:

Depending on the water pressure of course......

U have pumps I believe Sirineou?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

The heaters will be for the new build in Khon Kaen, There will be a water tank and pump provided by the builder.  Is there a particular size pump required to insure sufficient flow for a 6,000W heater?

1 hour ago, wayned said:

I have 2 Sharp 6000W heaters that are over 12 years old and still working.  You didn't say whether it is a new build or not and if it is already pre-wired.  You will have to insure that they are wired with the correct wire size.  Mine are wired with 4MM2 wire and 32A breakers.

Good point concerning the wiring,

The house is being wired right now, I will ask about the size wiring  and breakers used for the heaters . 

10 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

I’m here in Chiang Mai... I retrofit install a 80 liter tank heater that I located in the attic space... it services the master bath and kitchen...

The nice thing about this is it’s onlt 2,000 Watts with a regular household plug... 

https://www.homepro.co.th/product/1080303

But that's not on demand from an electricity usage standpoint - how much is your electricity bill?

15 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

I’m here in Chiang Mai... I retrofit install a 80 liter tank heater that I located in the attic space... it services the master bath and kitchen...

The nice thing about this is it’s onlt 2,000 Watts with a regular household plug... 

https://www.homepro.co.th/product/1080303

There are advantages and disadvantages to such a system. 

I have a 50 gal tank in my Florida home in the US  ,  The problem with these heaters is that if you have too many people using the hot water , they can run out and then you have to wait until they make more hot water.

They are well insulated so when the water reaches the desire temperature it takes very litle power to maintain it. but if the point of use is too far from the tank it takes a litle while for hot water to reach you.  and if the pipe leading to the point of use is not insulated you lose heat to the walls.  An advantage is that it draws less power.  In our FL home the Hot water tank is located in the laundry room which is ground level but we still have a pan under it (it is code) with a drain pipe leading outside to catch any leak. With yours being in the attic and the potential for water damage being greater . if you have not done already. I suggest that you do.

When designing the house in Thailand , I thought and considered such a system , but for our lifestyle, ( we will be splitting our time between the US, Europe and Thailand)  an ondemand system would be easier to manage IMO. 

4 minutes ago, sirineou said:

There are advantages and disadvantages to such a system. 

I have a 50 gal tank in my Florida home in the US  ,  The problem with these heaters is that if you have too many people using the hot water , they can run out and then you have to wait until they make more hot water.

They are well insulated so when the water reaches the desire temperature it takes very litle power to maintain it. but if the point of use is too far from the tank it takes a litle while for hot water to reach you.  and if the pipe leading to the point of use is not insulated you lose heat to the walls.  An advantage is that it draws less power.  In our FL home the Hot water tank is located in the laundry room which is ground level but we still have a pan under it (it is code) with a drain pipe leading outside to catch any leak. With yours being in the attic and the potential for water damage being greater . if you have not done already. I suggest that you do.

When designing the house in Thailand , I thought and considered such a system , but for our lifestyle, ( we will be splitting our time between the US, Europe and Thailand)  an ondemand system would be easier to manage IMO. 

We Brits have this thing about putting large tanks of water above our heads in the living space of our homes, we've been doing it for decades, it's one of our quirks. Pans and drains .....we don't need no stinking pans! :shock1:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, simoh1490 said:

We Brits have this thing about putting large tanks of water above our heads in the living space of our homes, we've been doing it for decades, it's one of our quirks. Pans and drains .....we don't need no stinking pans! :shock1:

For  Brits it's no problem  because they always carry umbrellas and wear bolo hats . :tongue:

I have seen it in the movies from where I get all of my information LOL

• Like 2

In fact we Brits have the water heating cistern on the top living floor and cold water tank in the loft to fill it......oh and except for Simoh we dont live in the attic [emoji33]

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I should add the hot water cistern in most British homes (probably not new homes with the advent of combi boilers whcih need no cold or hot storage) is typically on the floor of something callled the airing cupboardwhich has slatted shelves above the cistern where dry laundry stores cosy and warm and socks can be dried quickly on any bits of hot pipe.
A comforting feature of British homes it will be sad to lose.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 1/9/2018 at 2:57 AM, simoh1490 said:

If you want warm water in the cold season, go for 6,000w or higher.

Yes.

Our shower heaters are 3,500 W and over the last month we have to set them to full with the water flow turned right down to get hot water.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 1/11/2018 at 5:36 PM, sirineou said:

The heaters will be for the new build in Khon Kaen, There will be a water tank and pump provided by the builder.  Is there a particular size pump required to insure sufficient flow for a 6,000W heater?

Almost any pump pump will give sufficient flow. Personally I've just installed a Grundfos SCALA 2 bought in Khon Kaen and the benefit is that we never have a drop in flow when another tap (or 3) or shower is turned on

On 1/11/2018 at 5:36 PM, sirineou said:

Good point concerning the wiring,

The house is being wired right now, I will ask about the size wiring  and breakers used for the heaters . 

Do make sure you insist on 4 mm2 wiring, because depending on your shower fitting you may even want an 8000 watt unit, specially if you want a large rain shower.

Currently if we have the AC on, set for a low temperature then our 6000 watt rain showers are only just able to get the water temperature warm enough. If we get larger rain shower heads we might have to lower the shower flow rate.

In our other house, no AC, original shower head, 4,500W 10 year old unit, we have no problem getting a comfortable, to too high, temperatures 

My old 3.5kW Sharp heater recently started leaking after nearly 20 years of use. Rather than take risks I decided to replace it with the current 3.5kW model from Sharp. It cost just over 3000B, fitted.
It provides as much warm water as I need in my shower in Jomtien.

Running cables in parallel is common in high-power installations, 3 x 50mm2 cables (about 12mm diameter each) are much less of a wrestle and have a smaller bending radius than 1 x 150mm2 cable (about 20mm diameter).

One wouldn't normally do it in small sizes but it's certainly not hazardous.

I used 4 x 2.5mm2 for my AVR installation as I couldn't get 10mm2 THW-F (flexible) locally and regular THW was way too stiff to get into the available space.