visa re-entry stamp at the airport

Loaded

Has anyone recently obtained a re-entry stamp for a non-immigrant B visa at Chiang Mai airport before catching a flight?

I've been told it's possible but don't want to risk if it's not. I want to avoid visiting Immigration in the city.

If you obtained at the airport, any feedback?

Cheers

You can get a re-entry permit on the second floor, just after you pass through the final security screen before the Immigration podiums.  There is a counter to the left in the "no man's land" between the security screening stations and the Immigration podiums.  Once the Imm. officers stamp you out of the country, you've passed the point of no return.

This counter also processes overstay fines, so at times it can be a little "backed up".  Be sure to allow plenty of time if you're going to wait to get your re-entry permit at the airport.  

Unfortunately, you can't go out to the airport and get your re-entry permit well in advance of your flight.  You have to have checked-in and be ready to board and pass through the final security screen before you get to the counter to purchase a re-entry permit.

14 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO not worth the risk. I only found out where it is by asking as it's tucked away to the side and very easy to pass through the point of no return without seeing it.

I'd only do it there if I couldn't do it at Promenada.

Agree, not worth the risk unless you have plenty of time and know exactly where to go.

john

No one has ever reported not being able to get a recently permit at the airport... be prepared by bringing a completed TM8 form, 2 photos, copy of passport page and 1,000 baht...

Add an an extra hour at the airport to sort it out...

8 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

No one has ever reported not being able to get a recently permit at the airport... be prepared by bringing a completed TM8 form, 2 photos, copy of passport page and 1,000 baht...

Yes, I know some people who have "failed" to get a re-entry permit because they don't have enough time, don't have a photo and/or can't locate the counter and before they realize it, they're processed through the Imm. podiums and in the waiting area for their flight, unable to go back and get a re-entry permit.  Some naively think they can "re-instate" their retirement visa extensions once they return.  Back when I was president of CM Expats Club I had numerous conversations with members who had done exactly this, perplexed as to why they received a 30 day permission to stay stamp when they returned to Chiang Mai and asking for an easy fix.  (answer:  there isn't an "easy fix" at that point)

6 hours ago, NancyL said:

Yes, I know some people who have "failed" to get a re-entry permit because they don't have enough time, don't have a photo and/or can't locate the counter and before they realize it, they're processed through the Imm. podiums and in the waiting area for their flight, unable to go back and get a re-entry permit.  Some naively think they can "re-instate" their retirement visa extensions once they return.  Back when I was president of CM Expats Club I had numerous conversations with members who had done exactly this, perplexed as to why they received a 30 day permission to stay stamp when they returned to Chiang Mai and asking for an easy fix.  (answer:  there isn't an "easy fix" at that point)

Nancy you are very polite... But I think JW said it better...

7BEE1B40-5D5B-4B75-9F12-F8C458100EFA.jpeg

Edited by sfokevin

23 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO not worth the risk. I only found out where it is by asking as it's tucked away to the side and very easy to pass through the point of no return without seeing it.

Tucked away?... :saai:

6E400A1C-3C9B-46BD-B407-E29FFAF76DB6.jpeg

Edited by sfokevin

2 hours ago, sfokevin said:

Nancy you are very polite... But I think JW said it better...

7BEE1B40-5D5B-4B75-9F12-F8C458100EFA.jpeg

Let's be nice.  Traveling can be stressful, esp when you're elderly, frail, had to get up early, are running late, etc.  It's easy enough to overlook that counter, because everything is directing you to keep moving straight ahead and not look to your left or right.  

It can also be a problem for fairly new retirees, who arrived with an O-A visa and got used to using the multi-entry feature of that visa until it expired.  Many don't understand how they have to obtain a re-entry permit once the visa expires and they're here under the "permission to stay" stamp and not because of the expired visa.  Frankly, it doesn't help when some go to CM Imm. Prom. thinking they have to do a "renewal" at the time of expiration of their visa only to have the Imm. officer point to their more recent permission to stay stamp and tell them they "don't have to do anything but 90 day reports" or "only have to do 90 day reports" until the date of the expiration of the permission to stay stamp.   I've seen this done several times, but didn't dare say anything least it appear that I'm meddling in Immigration business.

54 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Let's be nice.  Traveling can be stressful, esp when you're elderly, frail, had to get up early, are running late, etc.  It's easy enough to overlook that counter, because everything is directing you to keep moving straight ahead and not look to your left or right.  

Respectfully, Nancy, you're making it out that the re-entry desk is easy to overlook (it absolutely isn't as one can see by the photograph posted above) and you're talking about a minority of people who....due to age, infirmity, incapacity, or simple ignorance...can't handle their own affairs. Those people probably need a handler to even get through the airport.

But, for people who know they need a re-entry permit at the airport,  they actually might ask themselves the question ahead of time as to what documents (passport copies, TM8, and photograph) would be needed.  For all those people, it's a breeze.  

I've gotten a few re-entry permits at the airport and I don't think it's ever taken me more than 5 minutes to get one.  I've also gotten re-entry permits at the old Immigration office and at Promenada but that's always involved a lot more time and hassle.

8 minutes ago, CMBob said:

Respectfully, Nancy, you're making it out that the re-entry desk is easy to overlook (it absolutely isn't as one can see by the photograph posted above) and you're talking about a minority of people who....due to age, infirmity, incapacity, or simple ignorance...can't handle their own affairs. Those people probably need a handler to even get through the airport.

But, for people who know they need a re-entry permit at the airport,  they actually might ask themselves the question ahead of time as to what documents (passport copies, TM8, and photograph) would be needed.  For all those people, it's a breeze.  

I've gotten a few re-entry permits at the airport and I don't think it's ever taken me more than 5 minutes to get one.  I've also gotten re-entry permits at the old Immigration office and at Promenada but that's always involved a lot more time and hassle.

Oh, you're absolutely right as you "respectfully" wrote "Those people probably need a handler to even get through the airport."  Many of them have requested wheelchair service from the airline and the wheelchair attendant just breezes right by the re-entry permit counter to get them through the Imm. podiums and to the gate waiting area where their responsibility ends.

Again, you're talking about a small minority of people who need major assistance to do a lot of things....to even know they need a re-entry permit, to know they need to get an extension, do a 90-day report, whatever.  

But....for anybody having some ability and cognizance that they need a re-entry permit (which likely includes almost everyone who actually reads ThaiVisa and can understand the English language)....it's easy to do. 

The OP certainly has enough capability to get it done easily at the airport and that's what he asked.  So long as he's leaving on an international flight at CNX, the re-entry desk will be open.  And he should download and fill out the TM8 form, paste a photo where indicated, and take the necessary passport copies (OP....there's a pinned topic to tell you what documents are needed).  For a single re-entry permit, it's 1,000 baht and it's 3,800 for a multiple re-entry permit.  And, presuming he's upstairs 30-60 minutes prior to his flight, he'll have more than enough time. 

Also for those of you reading this post to try to understand the reentry permit process - It is important to note that obtaining the reentry permit is only the first step - When you return to Thailand you MUST put the reentry permit number on your arrival card in the space that ask for your visa number... If you fail to do this the immigration officer will just stamp you in for a standard 30 days... and you join the ranks of Nancy's lost souls... ;-)

Even if you put the number on the card they have been known to forget (It happened to me)... I always make a point to look at the dates on the stamp right after being stamped in... and if incorrect walk right back to the officer and politely point out the error...

I have also been taking a photo of my arrival card, reentry visa and flight boarding pass together with my cellphone once I have filled out the arrival card in the plane on the flight back...

3 hours ago, CMBob said:

Again, you're talking about a small minority of people who need major assistance to do a lot of things....to even know they need a re-entry permit, to know they need to get an extension, do a 90-day report, whatever.  

But....for anybody having some ability and cognizance that they need a re-entry permit (which likely includes almost everyone who actually reads ThaiVisa and can understand the English language)....it's easy to do. 

The OP certainly has enough capability to get it done easily at the airport and that's what he asked.  So long as he's leaving on an international flight at CNX, the re-entry desk will be open.  And he should download and fill out the TM8 form, paste a photo where indicated, and take the necessary passport copies (OP....there's a pinned topic to tell you what documents are needed).  For a single re-entry permit, it's 1,000 baht and it's 3,800 for a multiple re-entry permit.  And, presuming he's upstairs 30-60 minutes prior to his flight, he'll have more than enough time. 

You seem to believe that if people are not as clever as you it's their own fault they missed the desk. I did, and only saw it when I asked at the emigration desk. I could easily have missed it entirely.

This forum is for everyone, even those with disabilities and not particularly observant.

On 1/10/2018 at 7:55 PM, CMBob said:

I agree. If you know enough to know that you need a re-entry permit, one would think you would know that you need to get it before you actually exit the country (i.e. pass through immigration)!

1 hour ago, Dante99 said:

Did you ever ever drive, ride, run or walk past the place you wanted to go and have to turn around and go back to it?  

How is that relevant? If you find yourself standing in front of the immigration checkpoint and you haven't yet obtained your re-entry passport, you'd have to be completely dumb to walk through that checkpoint (please note, they don't let you drive, ride or run through passport control in this or any other country). We aren't talking about missing a turning or walking past a shop, you have to get your passport out and show it to an immigration official. Are you trying to tell me that you could do that without realising what you were doing?

44 minutes ago, Mark1066 said:

How is that relevant? If you find yourself standing in front of the immigration checkpoint and you haven't yet obtained your re-entry passport, you'd have to be completely dumb to walk through that checkpoint (please note, they don't let you drive, ride or run through passport control in this or any other country). We aren't talking about missing a turning or walking past a shop, you have to get your passport out and show it to an immigration official. Are you trying to tell me that you could do that without realising what you were doing?

Many people have walked thru having forgotten to get their re-entry and are not completely dumb. I and many others have driven and rode through passport control in numerous countries without even getting out of or off our vehicles.  But you may be right about running through.

Your post is offensive and tells more about you than is pleasant.  Don't you realize what you are doing?

1 hour ago, Mark1066 said:

Yes, you certainly can since you already have your passport and boarding pass in your hand in order to pass through security.

It's especially possible if you've requested wheelchair service because you find it difficult to walk long distances and the wheelchair attendant has asked you for your passport and boarding pass.  Next thing you know, the attendant is asking if you want to sit in the wheelchair or a regular chair in the boarding area, because he's already processed you through the Immigration podium.

How can you fail to understand the relevance?

Sent from my iPod touch using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I would highly recommend that one get a single re-entry permit at the same time one does their annual extension - The permit is valid for the entire year of the extension and if not used your only out 1,000 bath which is a lot less than the cost of get a new visa due to forgetfulness... :coffee1:

15 hours ago, NancyL said:

Yes, you certainly can since you already have your passport and boarding pass in your hand in order to pass through security.

It's especially possible if you've requested wheelchair service because you find it difficult to walk long distances and the wheelchair attendant has asked you for your passport and boarding pass.  Next thing you know, the attendant is asking if you want to sit in the wheelchair or a regular chair in the boarding area, because he's already processed you through the Immigration podium.

People who need wheelchairs had already been 'put aside' in this debate - if you read the posts above mine you could see that.

And frankly, if you find yourself standing somewhere like this:

departure_inter_03_1_1%281%29.jpg

and you are unaware that you are at passport control, you probably shouldn't be travelling without a helper.

Edited by Mark1066

15 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Many people have walked thru having forgotten to get their re-entry and are not completely dumb. I and many others have driven and rode through passport control in numerous countries without even getting out of or off our vehicles.  But you may be right about running through.

Your post is offensive and tells more about you than is pleasant.  Don't you realize what you are doing?

Again, completely irrelevant. You've driven through passport control in 'many countries' - so what?. We are talking about Thailand, are we not, and specifically Chiang Mai airport. How many times have you driven through passport control at Chiang Mai airport??

I'm not interested whether you find my post offensive; try sticking to the topic, which is re-entry permits in Chiang Mai, not in whatever other countries you happened to have stayed in. Please refer to the original post in this thread if you are still confused.

Edited by Mark1066

4 hours ago, Mark1066 said:

Again, completely irrelevant. You've driven through passport control in 'many countries' - so what?. We are talking about Thailand, are we not, and specifically Chiang Mai airport. How many times have you driven through passport control at Chiang Mai airport??

I'm not interested whether you find my post offensive; try sticking to the topic, which is re-entry permits in Chiang Mai, not in whatever other countries you happened to have stayed in. Please refer to the original post in this thread if you are still confused.

Please refer to your own post #20 where you yourself introduce other countries to the thread and the idea of riding through passport control.  Review your own posts since you are confused about who added those topics to the thread because it was you.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/01/2018 at 9:45 AM, sfokevin said:

Last time my wife did it (a couple of weeks ago) there was no problem apart from them wanting a copy of ALL passport pages. This was done at the  post office downstairs.

Is this standard?

45 minutes ago, stuartd1 said:

Last time my wife did it (a couple of weeks ago) there was no problem apart from them wanting a copy of ALL passport pages. This was done at the  post office downstairs.

Is this standard?

Nope, it's not.....never heard of that trick for only getting a re-entry permit .  I've only had to provide a copy of all used passport pages twice - once a few years ago when obtaining an annual extension based on retirement and once last year when transferring stamps to a new passport.

Typically, all that's required for the re-entry permit is:

1.  TM7 form completed and signed (sometimes they want your name and email address neatly printed somewhere near your signature line).

2.  Photo - 4cm by 6cm (on rare occasion they hassle somebody if the photo doesn't have a medium blue background).

3.  Copies of passport pages (all signed):  Photo page, current visa (or extension) page, entry date page, and departure card (departure card technically is just an attachment and not a passport page).

4.  Original passport and fees (1000 baht for a single, 3,900 baht for a multi).