Anyone Know The Nam Som Area? (udon)

scooterboy

Sorry to bother you well-informed guys - a lot of you seem to know an amazing

amount of info - very impressive and excellent comments!

I'm planning to go to the "Nam Som" (NS) area in 2007 (April, May?) for a while

and it would be a great help to know something about the place

beforehand (don't seem to be able to find much info on the internet - not even a

detailed map of the town). NS is sorta between Udon and Nongkhai.

Maybe some of you already live there, or know the area.

Apologies for what may be considered "stoopid" questions or if I've placed this

in the wrong forum....

1. Is NS mainly a farming community or is there any development happening there?

I'm wondering if NS is more than just a crossroads and that the place is perhaps

expanding - houses & businesses being built.

2. What roughly is the population and any (many?) farangs live in NS ?

3. Is there a fresh food & veg market in or around NS, daily or weekly ?

4. Got cable-tv in NS ?

5. Any supermarkets and 7-11 stores (or the equivalent) in NS?

6. Got bars or pubs there?

7. Any farang-type of restaurants or places that serve some western food in NS?

Especially breakfast (like bacon, eggs, toast & coffee) - ain't always easy eating

rice first thing in the morning!

8. Got any hotels or guest houses in NS ?

9. Got banks and ATMs there ?

More crazy questions will no doubt follow, depending on the replies - so

gonna pester you nice folks for a while - heh heh!

Sure would appreciate just about ANY info on the place, seeing as I know absolutely

zilch about NS - thanks for reading this and even more thanks for replying.

I haven't been to Nam Som but I lived in Udon Thani for a year and am familiar with some of the small towns around there.

I asked my wife about Nam Som and she said a friend of hers worked at the hospital there for a while. For a start you need to know that Nam Som is about as poor and remote as you can get in Thailand, government workers posted there get remote living allowance as compensation otherwise nobody would go. The roads are difficult and there are no buses, just taxi trucks.

My comments are based on her comparing Nam Som with her hometown to give me an idea.

1. Is NS mainly a farming community or is there any development happening there?
Definitely a farming area. As for development you probably need to turn the clock back a few decades.

You might not meet any, and if you did they are likely to be far gone native.

Of course, it's not as if people can go to a supermarket.
4. Got cable-tv in NS ?

Unlikely.

I thought every Thai town has a 7-11 but I'm reliably informed this is not the case.

Not a chance.

Especially breakfast (like bacon, eggs, toast & coffee) - ain't always easy eating

You’ve got to be kidding, and considering the alternatives you are likely to be happy with a bowl of plain rice for breakfast..

I suppose travellors must sleep somewhere but nothing you’d recognize as a hotel.

Should do, it’s not like it’s easy for people to get to the city.

The other thing to consider is April is the hottest month in an area of extreme temperatures. Expect temperatures in the 40’s (Celsius) and air conditioning hard to come by.

I hope I haven’t painted a negative picture. Expect the people to be lovely and to get more an authentic taste of Thailand than any hilltribe excursion.

Seems to be a reasonable size (about 17,000). Suggest you take a look at www.udonmap.com, and ask the same questions there. It is a forum specifically for Udon Thani.

Also look here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?ac...ost&id=7143 for a map. Find Udon Thani, and follow a line at about 10.00 o'clock ( ie north west). You should be able to see Nam Som easily.

Good luck

jack

Scooterboy. I once spent some time in Namsom teaching at various schools. If you want some more info, visit www.travel-to-teach.org. I'm not giving you the link in the hope that you will end up teaching with them, just that their website will have some information on the town. It wasnt for me, and was a very quiet town, although I made some great life long friends there.

beforehand (don't seem to be able to find much info on the internet - not even a

in the wrong forum....

I'm wondering if NS is more than just a crossroads and that the place is perhaps

4. Got cable-tv in NS ?

Sure would appreciate just about ANY info on the place, seeing as I know absolutely

I haven't been to Nam Som but I lived in Udon Thani for a year and am familiar with some of the small towns around there.

I asked my wife about Nam Som and she said a friend of hers worked at the hospital there for a while. For a start you need to know that Nam Som is about as poor and remote as you can get in Thailand, government workers posted there get remote living allowance as compensation otherwise nobody would go. The roads are difficult and there are no buses, just taxi trucks.

My comments are based on her comparing Nam Som with her hometown to give me an idea.

Definitely a farming area. As for development you probably need to turn the clock back a few decades.
You might not meet any, and if you did they are likely to be far gone native.
Of course, it's not as if people can go to a supermarket.
4. Got cable-tv in NS ?
Unlikely.
I thought every Thai town has a 7-11 but I'm reliably informed this is not the case.
Not a chance.

You've got to be kidding, and considering the alternatives you are likely to be happy with a bowl of plain rice for breakfast..
I suppose travellors must sleep somewhere but nothing you'd recognize as a hotel.

Should do, it's not like it's easy for people to get to the city.

The other thing to consider is April is the hottest month in an area of extreme temperatures. Expect temperatures in the 40's (Celsius) and air conditioning hard to come by.

I hope I haven't painted a negative picture. Expect the people to be lovely and to get more an authentic taste of Thailand than any hilltribe excursion.

Hello everybody. : )

i live in Namsom. i dont know how do u know Namsom.

but i live here now. I love here. it s very ncie weather and have

some mountains here and alot of tree : ) yes alot of farms here

and people here re friendly and like to help each other.

and we never had flood or bad situation by nature. good food.

bcos i love Thai food but NO bar or pub here. we got some karaoke places for singing song and drinks. But it s not like bar or plub that

has gals. and here it s easy to go Nongkhai and Loei province.

In Namsom ,always have food and resorts if u wanna saty here

and nice weather bcos near mountain :o And if u wanna help students to learn more english. u can help too:D

if u want more info.u can email me.

[email protected]

in the wrong forum....

4. Got cable-tv in NS ?

Hi, Im english and live in Namsom, there is a 24hr convenice store and 2 ATMs, 7 day week market, food clothing ect, BBQ pub with draught thai beer, 2 strong for me, i drink heinieken, avalable at many shops, daily air con bus service to BK, regular servive to Udon, to get some farang stuff from Tesco Lotus, no, you wont get any western food here, eggs and tomatoes ok, but as for bacon, definitely no go!! have motel here, about 2500bht a week, cofee, plenty of, cable tv, yes, hospital, clinic, and farming is big here, there main income, hope this helps a little, Alex,

Hi,

Thanks for the good info! You got a motel there? Where is it and what's the name of the motel?

Nobody is painting a "negative" picture of Nam Som - which is good. But I already know that NS is a quiet place - this is no problem. It sounds like NS is getting bigger, anyway.

Thanks

Scooterboy

Hi,

Thanks for the good info! You got a motel there? Where is it and what's the name of the motel?

Nobody is painting a "negative" picture of Nam Som - which is good. But I already know that NS is a quiet place - this is no problem. It sounds like NS is getting bigger, anyway.

Thanks

Scooterboy

I dont know name of motel, my good lady told me, but cant put in english letters, they never seem very busy there so getting a house should be easy, but dont worry about accomadation, my girls family have big houses here, and i have small house on our farm, are you coming here to meet a girl? or just want a break from civilisation? I see in previous replies that somebody did paint a poor picture of NS, for me its a well serviced small town, the shopkeepers are friendly and if you are with a local, there is no chance they will stitch you up, because they want you to come back, and dont want bad name, if you come in April, be prepared, its as hot as hel_l here, night and day, 40s in day might drop to 30 in night if you are lucky, ok, food for thought for you, stay in touch, Alex,,

• 2 weeks later...
Been offline for a while, sorry, but busy lately. No, not coming to NS to meet a girl (bringing my own with me!). Would luv to know how I reach that motel, as that would save traveling backwards & forwards to a bigger town.

If there's only one hotel in town everyone is going to know where it is.

Just tell a taxi-truck driver "bai rong riem", or point to the phrase in your phrasebook.

Weellll....Ain't no guarantee that the hotel is IN the town - might just be outside of town. Also - I'll (hopefully) be on a rented motorbike. Not too excited about showing up in the area with a bag and not being able to find a hotel or guest house. But - thanks - anyway for the suggestion.

Weellll....Ain't no guarantee that the hotel is IN the town - might just be outside of town. Also - I'll (hopefully) be on a rented motorbike. Not too excited about showing up in the area with a bag and not being able to find a hotel or guest house. But - thanks - anyway for the suggestion.

Sounds like you're a bit of an adventurer.

I'm sure you'll find the locals happy to point the strange traveller in the right direction.

Hopefully Lickey will chime in and give you an indication where in town it is, I'm not sure why you think it might be anywhere else, amongst the rice paddies?

Unless you're experienced in backpacking around asia i'd be more worried you might not find the hotel to your taste.

You can always carry on to Nongkhai as there are plenty of hotels there, but by then you'll probably be too hot and bothered from your travels to conteplate that.

Edited by Brucenkhamen

Sounds like you're a bit of an adventurer.

I'm sure you'll find the locals happy to point the strange traveller in the right direction.

Hopefully Lickey will chime in and give you an indication where in town it is, I'm not sure why you think it might be anywhere else, amongst the rice paddies?

Unless you're experienced in backpacking around asia i'd be more worried you might not find the hotel to your taste.

You can always carry on to Nongkhai as there are plenty of hotels there, but by then you'll probably be too hot and bothered from your travels to conteplate that.

Hi Scooterboy, I will tell you where motel is if you bring me some colemans mustard powder and rizzla blue fag papers, :o only joking but would be nice!!

if you are coming from Udon Thani,go out north torwards Nong khai, look for road number 2021 on your left, go through Ban Phu, look for road 2348 for Namsom, when you have done about 100 kilometers, you should be in Namsom, just before you get into NS, there is a really bumpy bad road, when bad road finish, over flat river bridge, turn right at big junction, about 300 meters on left is small sign Padow resort as far as i can make out, this is about 2 kilometer from town center and market, the small house is air condition, has TV, has shower, english toilet, but no food is available here, you have to go to town for this,from this place to market, about 40 bht for tuk tuk , Be prepared for Mossies, hot sun, humidity, hot spicy food,April mmm, perhaps start of heavy rain and no electric for some days, only drink botteled water, and wash any salad you eat with bottled water, I have a criteria, if we go to a resturant, i always check toilet 1st, if toilet is dirty and no paper or hand basin, kitchen staff also use toilet, it gives me good idea that food will be unclean, street vendors are better, ok, more food for thought for you, Lickey,

Thanks Lickey!

Coleman's & fag papers? Would be nice!! But not coming from England, only coming from the Bangkok area - and you're right, be driving from Udon (as the gf insists on having a look around Udon first!). Any idea on the prices at Padow? Last problem - wonder where I can rent a Mio Scooter in Udon?

Thanks for your info and for replying

PS Seems you live in Nam Som - hope you're enjoying life!

Cheers

wonder where I can rent a Mio Scooter in Udon?

Thanks for your info and for replying

I recall there is a motorcycle rental shop around the corner from Charoensri which is the main shopping mall in Udon. If you have trouble finding it I'm sure the hotel will know somewhere.

Someones got to ask, what's the attraction with Nam Som? You obviously don't know anyone or aren't working there as presumably they'd help make arrangements for you.

Thanks for the info on renting wheels - I'll find the place. The attraction with NS? Only for a holiday in the area (Udon and surrounding areas). I'm one of those irritating buggers that likes to know as much as possible beforehand, about the practical side of where I'm going. Seeing as NS is rather off the beaten track, what better way to find out, than to ask? Ever been stuck out in the middle of nowhere and got no idea where anything is? It can be a bit scary. Most larger places you can dig up lots of info from books and the internet, but seeing as the gf wants to see NS, I'm obliging her (and my) curiosity. If I left it to her, we'd arrive at Udon with our bags and have no idea where to go or how to get anywhere. Anyway, I luv out of the way places! Working in NS? You kidding me? I'm here to relax and take in the many sights - hopping around LOS is a real treat. "Work" is (for me) in the past tense.

Cheers

Thanks for the info on renting wheels - I'll find the place. The attraction with NS? Only for a holiday in the area (Udon and surrounding areas). I'm one of those irritating buggers that likes to know as much as possible beforehand, about the practical side of where I'm going. Seeing as NS is rather off the beaten track, what better way to find out, than to ask? Ever been stuck out in the middle of nowhere and got no idea where anything is? It can be a bit scary. Most larger places you can dig up lots of info from books and the internet, but seeing as the gf wants to see NS, I'm obliging her (and my) curiosity. If I left it to her, we'd arrive at Udon with our bags and have no idea where to go or how to get anywhere. Anyway, I luv out of the way places! Working in NS? You kidding me? I'm here to relax and take in the many sights - hopping around LOS is a real treat. "Work" is (for me) in the past tense.

Cheers

I have to tell you that there is not a lot to see in NS, got the usual buddha temple in the middle of a lake, thats in town centre, I think you can walk up one of the local mountains for a view of the town, i havent ventured that far yet, been busy on farm and new shop,a mate came to visit for new years eve, he paid 2500bht for 5 nights at resort in advance, I think i would pay nightly, considering what little there is to see and do here, anyway, when you arive in NS,keep going into town, when the road narrows look for traffic lights, then look on your right for FRESH ONE, 24 hour covenence store, go in there and ask for Alex and Pan, its Pans sisters shop, failling that ask anybody for the falang who rides a Yamaha xjr1200, red with blue silencer and bit noisy!!

Edited by Lickey

Not a lot to see? Weellll.....that depends on who's doing the looking! Been to places where I've been told that it's a waste of time going there, only to find that the place is fantastic. Been to recommended places, where you can't move for farangs, food carts and garbage everywhere. Can't say I'm a temple fan - temples and "touristy" stuff is nice, but PEOPLE sure is better! Hear the people in NS are real friendly (also mentioned in a previous post), which in my book counts a whole lot. We ain't all beerbar maniacs - heh heh! (though I admit that I did the BB rounds when I first came to LOS). Yeah, I'll take the advice and stay nightly at the resort - just in case we come across another hotel in a different area - thanks. We'll no doubt be in FRESH ONE - hope they have hot coffee (Nescafe is quite okay). Farm? Hey - sounds great! Good luck with the new shop, as well.

Is the owner of the noisy MC your good self?

Not a lot to see? Weellll.....that depends on who's doing the looking! Been to places where I've been told that it's a waste of time going there, only to find that the place is fantastic. Been to recommended places, where you can't move for farangs, food carts and garbage everywhere. Can't say I'm a temple fan - temples and "touristy" stuff is nice, but PEOPLE sure is better! Hear the people in NS are real friendly (also mentioned in a previous post), which in my book counts a whole lot. We ain't all beerbar maniacs - heh heh! (though I admit that I did the BB rounds when I first came to LOS). Yeah, I'll take the advice and stay nightly at the resort - just in case we come across another hotel in a different area - thanks. We'll no doubt be in FRESH ONE - hope they have hot coffee (Nescafe is quite okay). Farm? Hey - sounds great! Good luck with the new shop, as well.

Is the owner of the noisy MC your good self?

Yes the bike is mine, besides my lovely missus, it gives me an adrenalin rush when i ride it through the town, sometimes a brown adrenalin rush when little bikes come out of side roads without looking!!!yes sisters shop has hot and iced Nescafe, and if its people watching you like, like me, you wont be disapointed, the mainstreet is always heaving in and around the market, youve welcome to come up to our farm, its peaceful there and abundant with fruit, and hopefully the new shop will be open in April, first it will have a salon, my wifes proffesion is a beautician, and we want to add a sauna and a hot tub, bar/resturant, 1st floor is living 1/4s 3 rd floor will be open, have roof with metre high wall, want recliners and water spray feature, plenty of plants, just like a garden up in the air, with tables and waiter service, thats the plan!! cheers for now, Lickey..

Hi Lickey!

Whoo! Sounds like you've found your own little corner of paradise - well done, Lickey! Very nice, indeed!

Now THAT makes a (nice) change, someone who's actually PRAISING their gf/missus (and motorbike, of course)! Usually have to put up with hearing about the "less attractive" sides of folks' bf/gf/missus - heh heh! I was beginning to think that my gf and myself were the only happy couple around.

Know exactly what you mean about the bikes shooting out of side roads - ain't never going to get used to that, either! Scares the hel_l out of me!

The shop sounds really nice - and - hey, maybe the posts on this thread are getting too far away from the original subject (which means the risk of it being closed by the mightily-feared admin guy). Anyway, I don't really want to discuss people's private info on a forum, that is read by all.

I'll continue on an email - drop me a line about your email address and I'll send you a private email. Here's an email address you can contact me on [email protected]

Cheers

If there's only one hotel in town everyone is going to know where it is.

Just tell a taxi-truck driver "bai rong riem", or point to the phrase in your phrasebook.

Point to the Thai text in the phrase book, or you will end up at a school or a fruit farm if you try to say that.

Udon Thani is a fairly big city, the surrounding area is full of smallish towns and villages, I haven't been to Nam Som (may have passed it a few times)

But here are a few links for you:-

http://sunsite.au.ac.th/ThaiInfo/TourismIn...east/udonthani/

http://www.dnp.go.th/parkreserve/asp/style...id=239&lg=2

http://www.actblue.commfoxforcongress.meet...ies/th/nam_som/

P.S. There is a waterfall, of sorts :o

If you like the quite peaceful life, you will love it.

Don't expect creature comforts, other than those of your own making.

Isaan is a fantastic place to visit, and it is a fantastic place to live, be it Udon or Ubon or Surin or or or...... if you suit it, not, if it suits you. Enjoy, and then tell us about it :D

Hi Thaddeus!

Ooh! Thanks for the links info - will look at them when the internet is running at full speed again (VERY slow just now!). Sure, got no problem with the "quiet life" and creature comforts are (naturally) a nice thing, but not essential. Great! - a lot of small villages around Udon, we're looking forward to seeing a load of them (though probably won't stop very for very

long at most of them). Bringing my own living phrase book with me - the gf's Thai, so there oughtn't to be any problem there ('cept the last time I was in Isaan, where there were actually a few people out in the sticks that spoke another dialect (Isaan, maybe?) - and who didn't speak Thai!).

Anyway, I can usually get by with my ridiculous Thai, which usually has them rolling around on the floor in fits of laughter - heh heh!

Ubon, Surin.......maybe another time, who knows? We're planning on going back to Koh Chang (Trat area) later in the year, to see how the once amazing island is now progressing after the "big guys" have moved in and are ruining the place with hotels, resorts and tons of shops (most of which were still empty, or not doing much business the last time we were there).

Thanks again for your info!

Back again!

Due to unusual circumstances, we suddenly had a few days to ourselves, so decided to take the plunge and make a "quickie" trip to Nam Som. Found the MC shop in Udon (apparently the only one there, even though we scoured the town for rental places) and rented a Kick scooter (at an exhorbitant price, I might add). Off to NS at 6:15am, just as it was getting light. Thanks to Lickey's directions the way was easy and we didn't get lost once (well, almost! - had to ask a local, as the road suddenly forked without any visible roadsigns). Got to NS around 11:30am and headed for the Fresh One for cups of coffee - Pan's sis was serving at the time. We only came to suss out the place for one day (and night). Stayed at some resort place out of town - the next morning we found 3 resorts in the town! Our opinion of NS - really nice town, pleasant people, no rip-offs, food excellent (local Thai food). Personally, I'd luv to come back in a hurry - but the gf reckons the bus trip (to Udon) is a real pain. Mind you, we've only just got back and her bum is still numb from sitting down for so long (mine, too)! In the end she'll be wanting to get back up there again, methinks, and I reckon that after Sonkran we'll be back - for a much longer stay and to see the outlying towns and villages. Thanks for all the tips and info - which will certainly be used for the next visit.

Cheers, Scooterboy

Back again!

Due to unusual circumstances, we suddenly had a few days to ourselves, so decided to take the plunge and make a "quickie" trip to Nam Som. Found the MC shop in Udon (apparently the only one there, even though we scoured the town for rental places) and rented a Kick scooter (at an exhorbitant price, I might add). Off to NS at 6:15am, just as it was getting light. Thanks to Lickey's directions the way was easy and we didn't get lost once (well, almost! - had to ask a local, as the road suddenly forked without any visible roadsigns). Got to NS around 11:30am and headed for the Fresh One for cups of coffee - Pan's sis was serving at the time. We only came to suss out the place for one day (and night). Stayed at some resort place out of town - the next morning we found 3 resorts in the town! Our opinion of NS - really nice town, pleasant people, no rip-offs, food excellent (local Thai food). Personally, I'd luv to come back in a hurry - but the gf reckons the bus trip (to Udon) is a real pain. Mind you, we've only just got back and her bum is still numb from sitting down for so long (mine, too)! In the end she'll be wanting to get back up there again, methinks, and I reckon that after Sonkran we'll be back - for a much longer stay and to see the outlying towns and villages. Thanks for all the tips and info - which will certainly be used for the next visit.

Cheers, Scooterboy

Hi Scooterboy, ive only just got internet working again and read your mails, we were at home when you arrived in NS, just round the corner from Fresh One, Pans sister Pun is a petite pretty lady, Did you ask for us? would have been nice to meet you both, would have loved to show you farm, its so peaceful there, on top of a hill with a bit breeze allday, ok, glad you enjoyed NS, and there is a good bus sevrice from Udon, proper buses, not the glorified tuk tuks you will have seen on your journey here and back, its the big blue and white ones with alexander written on the side, [nothing to do with me!! } although ive never tried these buses, they do look the <deleted>, and dont forget the little 12 seater air-con Merc bus that runs twice daily, youd have to do a bit of searching in Udon to find these buses but im sure your GF will suss it out, Look us up next time you come to NS, Best wishes, Alex & Pan..

Hi Lickey!

Internet problems? Never happens in Thailand - heh heh! Nope, didnt like to ask too much at the Fresh One, as we were only in NS short time and I didn't want to maybe put anyone out. Though DID ask if they knew you and your lady. Yes (naturally) they did and we just left it at that. The bus from Udon to NS isn't really the problem - it was the bus from Rayong to Udon that was the pain (literally!). We were told at the bus station that it took around 8 hours to get to Udon - ended up taking 13 hours and the gf thinks we were ripped off by the bus company, as she's asked other people here and gets the same answer (takes about 8 hours by express bus). Checking to see if there's a quicker route from BKK for a next visit. Read/heard that there's a direct bus from BKK to NS - know anything about that?

Cheers

Scooterboy

hi scooterboy,

yes, there is a bus connection from udon to namsom. but there is a taxi service to namsom too.

I'm german. the parents of my wife live in namsom. so we come here every year for 4-6 weeks to spend some time with the family.

i agree with lickey. namsom is a very nice and peaceful place. i like to spend my holidays there and everytime we have to return to germany it is very hard goodbye.

the shop of lickeys sister in law is very good and it is the only one in that style in namsom. i was there very often in january and the beginning of february and i wonder why all of them spoke a good english. now i know: brother in law is a native speaker ;-).

well, the namsom people a very friendly and you will not have any problem at all.

ok, scooterboy, enjoy your stay in namsom.

best regards.

exchange1973

Next time take the night trian down from Bangkok and skip all the bad parts. There have to be at leat five bike rental places in Udon, that on is just the easiest to find.

Lickey you had a little competetion yesterday, four of us came through on big bikes took the route over the mountain to the river. Definelty a challenging ride, but beautiful. The town it self as much as we could see really looked like a neat place.

One of the riders lives in Sri Caing Mai, so we did the Loie loop and changed it a bit, well worth the effort.

By the way we ride somewhere out of Udon just about every weekend, if you might want join us sometime just PM me your e-mail address and I will put you the list I notify all the riders what the plans are for the weekend,. Find one that sounds good to you. your welcome to join in.

Next weekend we are of to Korat for thier Bike Week really a Bike night LOL. I won't make that one but others will. As a norm we bring our wives and it's a family type social gathering as well.

anyway I have to say I really enjoyed your mountain it was really neat