Ecuador gives Assange citizenship, seeks end to embassy stay

webfact

Ecuador gives Assange citizenship, seeks end to embassy stay

By Alexandra Valencia and Mark Hosenball

2018-01-11T195253Z_2_LYNXMPEE0A1DJ_RTROPTP_3_ECUADOR-ASSANGE.JPG

FILE PHOTO: WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange is seen on the balcony of the Ecuadorian Embassy in London, Britain, May 19, 2017. REUTERS/Peter Nicholls/File photo

QUITO/LONDON (Reuters) - Ecuador has given citizenship to Julian Assange as part of its efforts to allow the WikiLeaks founder to leave the country’s London embassy where he has been holed up for more than five years.

Ecuador made the move hours after the British government refused a request from the South American nation for Assange to be given diplomatic status, which could give him immunity from arrest should he try to leave the embassy.

After a year in which Ecuador's president has spoken out against Assange, Ecuador's Foreign Minister Maria Fernanda Espinosa said she hoped to find a solution to his dilemma.

“Ecuador is currently exploring other solutions in dialogue with the UK, like good offices of renowned authorities, other states, or international organizations that could facilitate a just, final and dignified solution for all parties,” Espinosa told a press conference in Quito.

Britain saw only one resolution to the diplomatic standoff.

“Ecuador knows that the way to resolve this issue is for Julian Assange to leave the embassy to face justice,” said a British Foreign Office spokesman.

Assange's U.S. lawyer Barry Pollack had no comment.

"RISKS TO HIS LIFE"

Assange has been living in the red-brick embassy in Knightsbridge, London since he was granted asylum there in 2012 to avoid extradition to Sweden for questioning in a sexual molestation case.

Swedish prosecutors dropped their probe into the allegations but British police said Assange would be arrested for breaching bail conditions should he leave the building.

Assange, who denies the allegations, believes Sweden would hand him over to the United States to face prosecution over WikiLeaks’ publication of thousands of classified military and diplomatic documents in one of the largest information leaks in U.S. history.

“There are well-founded fears we have about possible risks to his life and integrity, not necessarily by the UK but by third party states,” Espinosa said.

She did not give details on how granting Assange citizenship might help him leave the embassy and avoid arrest.

Ecuador's left-wing president Lenin Moreno, who took office in May, has been less friendly toward Assange than his predecessor Rafael Correa.

Moreno last year said Assange could stay in the embassy but called him a "hacker" and warned him not to intervene in the politics of countries friendly to Ecuador.

For some, Assange is a cyber hero for exposing government abuses of power and championing free speech but to others he is a criminal who has undermined the security of the West by exposing secrets.

WikiLeaks disclosed emails that led to embarrassing media coverage for Democratic Party candidate Hillary Clinton. U.S. intelligence agencies believe Russian military intelligence used WikiLeaks and other sites to release the emails it hacked from the Democratic National Committee and top Democrats. Assange said he does not know the source of the emails.

Assange faces both criminal and congressional investigations in the United States.

There is no evidence at this point that U.S. authorities have filed any charges against him, including secret charges, but CIA Director Mike Pompeo last year called WikiLeaks a “hostile intelligence service.”  

U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions, responding to a reporter's question in April about whether arresting Assange was a priority, said it was.

“Whenever a case can be made, we will seek to put some people in jail,” Sessions said at a press briefing.

(Reporting by Mark Hosenball in London and Alexandra Valencia in Quito; Writing by Girish Gupta; Editing by Stephen Addison and Andrew Hay)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-01-12

53 minutes ago, webfact said:

For some, Assange is a cyber hero for exposing government abuses of power and championing free speech but to others he is a criminal who has undermined the security of the West by exposing secrets.

WikiLeaks disclosed emails that led to embarrassing media coverage for Democratic Party candidate Hillary Clinton. U.S. intelligence agencies believe Russian military intelligence used WikiLeaks and other sites to release the emails it hacked from the Democratic National Committee and top Democrats. Assange said he does not know the source of the emails.

"...Assange said he does not know the source of the emails..."

Given Wikileaks'/Assange's stated aim of championing free speech, I find it impossible to believe that he didn't know the source of the e-mails he published. If true, his organizations's aim is not free speech, it is just anarchy and confusion.

The general consensus is that he is a front for Russian intelligence in their anti-democratic activities, or a "useful fool" in that effort. Either way, I have little sympathy for him.

Let him rot in the embassy.

Assange is just a parasite, not a man hiding in the embassy,let him stay there.

It looks like the Ecuadorians have had enough of him,must be a pain in the a++e having to put up with him.

5 years in there,let him stay there another 5 years.

Assange is  wanted by Swedish police ...I do not see how a change to Ecuadorian passport will change it...he cannot go out of the Embassy in London without facing arrest ....or do they plan also to provide him with a diplomatic passport?

33 minutes ago, fvw53 said:

Assange is  wanted by Swedish police ...I do not see how a change to Ecuadorian passport will change it...he cannot go out of the Embassy in London without facing arrest ....or do they plan also to provide him with a diplomatic passport?

I was wondering the same thing.

Edited by dick dasterdly

35 minutes ago, fvw53 said:

They did  : "Ecuador made the move hours after the British government refused a request from the South American nation for Assange to be given diplomatic status"

Just now, Tchooptip said:

They did  : "Ecuador made the move hours after the British government refused a request from the South American nation for Assange to be given diplomatic status"

So now that he has been given Ecuadorian citizenship, the UK cannot refuse to accept his diplomatic status? 

4 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

So now that he has been given Ecuadorian citizenship, the UK cannot refuse to accept his diplomatic status? 

Nope. The receiving state can  always refuse to accept the "diplomat". The legal protections do not attach until that person is listed and accepted by the host nation. You can't just say hocus pocus, he's a special  emissary. Remember too, that diplomatic immunity attaches to position of the person and is in respect to their diplomatic activities.

Under the scenario you suggest, the granting of "diplomatic" status to people in the manner described would allow foreign governments to interfere in the affairs of a host nation. For example, the USA could extend  diplomatic status to Chinese dissidents.  Countries, even the most rogue, play by the rules on this because they know they have much to lose if they violate the principals of diplomatic protections.

Just now, geriatrickid said:

Nope. The receiving state can  always refuse to accept the "diplomat". The legal protections do not attach until that person is listed and accepted by the host nation. You can't just say hocus pocus, he's a special  emissary. Remember too, that diplomatic immunity attaches to position of the person and is in respect to their diplomatic activities.

Under the scenario you suggest, the granting of "diplomatic" status to people in the manner described would allow foreign governments to interfere in the affairs of a host nation. For example, the USA could extend  diplomatic status to Chinese dissidents.  Countries, even the most rogue, play by the rules on this because they know they have much to lose if they violate the principals of diplomatic protections.

I wasn't suggesting anything, just asking the most obvious question as to why Ecuador has suddenly decided to grant citizenship.

21 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I wasn't suggesting anything, just asking the most obvious question as to why Ecuador has suddenly decided to grant citizenship.

I think they are trying to get rid of him and can't think of anything else.   

24 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

But how does this move help in any way - unless he can then be declared a diplomat, and therefore not subject to UK laws? 

Well, they couldn't make him a diplomat without making him a citizen, so they made him a citizen and then tried to make him a diplomat, but the UK said no.   

I am sure the people who work in the embassy are getting desperate to get rid of him.   

Some interesting comments.

Doesn't seem like a clever move to me. The embassy has been under surveillance for years but a after so long things becomes lax and an opportunity may open to be able to run for hills. After this announcement I expect surveillance will be stepped up.

Just now, Credo said:

Well, they couldn't make him a diplomat without making him a citizen, so they made him a citizen and then tried to make him a diplomat, but the UK said no.   

I am sure the people who work in the embassy are getting desperate to get rid of him.   

I thought it was the other way around i.e Ecuador first looked into declaring him a diplomat/this was refused so they then gave him citizenship?

But I could well be wrong.

6 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Given Wikileaks'/Assange's stated aim of championing free speech, I find it impossible to believe that he didn't know the source of the e-mails he published. If true, his organizations's aim is not free speech, it is just anarchy and confusion.

The general consensus is that he is a front for Russian intelligence in their anti-democratic activities, or a "useful fool" in that effort. Either way, I have little sympathy for him.

General consensus - whose general consensus?

9 minutes ago, Credo said:

He was given political asylum but not citizenship. When the UK said they would not recognise it they gave him citizenship anyway.

1 minute ago, notmyself said:

He was given political asylum but not citizenship. When the UK said they would not recognise it they gave him citizenship anyway.

You're missing the point.  Why have they suddenly given him citizenship?

Edited by dick dasterdly

6 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"The general consensus is that he is a front for Russian intelligence..."

Which general consensus is that, then, your own?

Interestingly,  in order to accept the Ecuadorian citizenship, Assange would have to renounce his Australian citizenship since Ecuador does not recognize dual citizenship (except with Spain).

http://www.multiplecitizenship.com/wscl/ws_ECUADOR.html

Australia does allow dual citizenship though I believe they have cancelled his passport.

TH 

24 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

General consensus - whose general consensus?

Fair question...

General consensus from the US intelligence agencies. And I tend to trust their expertise in this matter.

BTW I think Geriatrickid (spelling) from page 1 has it correct. To the best of my knowledge, diplomatic immunity only kicks in when a diplomat is accepted by the host country (they can refuse to accept a nominated diplomat, although that is rare). But, I am not an expert...

6 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Fair question...

General consensus from the US intelligence agencies. And I tend to trust their expertise in this matter.

BTW I think Geriatrickid (spelling) from page 1 has it correct. To the best of my knowledge, diplomatic immunity only kicks in when a diplomat is accepted by the host country (they can refuse to accept a nominated diplomat, although that is rare). But, I am not an expert...

A small percentage of us consider various countries' "intelligence agencies" the least reliable source of information on their declared 'enemies'.....

But this is wandering off- topic from the most important point.  Why has Ecuador suddenly given citizenship to Assange?

Edited by dick dasterdly

2 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

But this is wandering off- topic from the most important point.  Why has Ecuador suddenly given citizenship to Assange?

It was given last December 12th apparently. Not heard that news.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/julian-assange-ecuador-citizenship-citizen-naturalised-london-embassy-wikileaks-asylum-uk-sweden-a8153986.html

1 minute ago, notmyself said:

'Calling up' the article says it's 21 hours old.

Not that it matters.  'Games' are likely being played and it will be 'interesting'.... to see the outcome.

quite funny, how little David has stuck it to Goliath US.

quite funny how the Bail - last gasp option for little Goliath UK fails, as Bail must now be a moot point considering the Charges it was based upon don't even exist anymore

funny there's some claiming the Swedish Police are still after him!  why? (for same reason as the UK Bail farce)

24 minutes ago, tifino said:

quite funny, how little David has stuck it to Goliath US.

quite funny how the Bail - last gasp option for little Goliath UK fails, as Bail must now be a moot point considering the Charges it was based upon don't even exist anymore

funny there's some claiming the Swedish Police are still after him!  why? (for same reason as the UK Bail farce)

'Little David' ? :cheesy: Not that nasty unpleasant narcissist.