Where to sell 1 tonn of tamarin?

chrgrims

Hi,

We have about 1 ton of tamarin. It will be harvested next week. I am trying to find out where we should sell it. We live in Phetchabun and could drive to a market in Ayuttaya or Rangsit if it makes sense moneywise. The type of tamarin we have is "si tong". Appreciate any advice.

Tamarin from Phetchabun ,are known almost though out Thailand as being sweet ,not like the ones from the tree at the , end of our soi that are sour as they come ,we buy them around here (Lopburi), depends on size and quality , the last I bought ,the seller had 3 prices ,I think I paid 70 baht /kg, last year ,not seen any of this year's crop for sale yet .

So you could take them down to the Darlart-Thai ,at Rangsit sell them in one go ,but you will probably not be on your own and the price will not be good ,if you could find out a price beforehand would help ,this being Thailand, have a look at Thai facebook ,might fine current price there .

But, the verity Sie-Tong ,according to my misses is about the best sweet Tamarin verity, supposed to be the sweetest ,so you might get a good price at Rangsit.

You could do it the Thai way ,set a stall beside a main road ,but 1 ton is a lot to sell this way ,but being a good verity ,could do ok. 

Middle of this month near here is a big festival at a large temple ,one that has royal patronage, lasts 4 days , there   are always pickups from Phetchabun  selling Temarin , do ok to ,have you got any thing like this near you soon.

Any night /weekend markets near you ,but being local every man and his dog could /will be selling tamarin ,supply and demard could cut in .

Good Luck .

On 13/01/2018 at 7:48 AM, steven100 said:

There are many morning markets around your area that you could set up a stall. 

Def an option, then the question becomes how long does it take to sell 1 ton and how long does the tamarin stay ok. 

7 hours ago, chrgrims said:

Def an option, then the question becomes how long does it take to sell 1 ton and how long does the tamarin stay ok. 

7 hours ago, chrgrims said:

A morning market, night market same thing, may be more people at night markets, buying they evening meal, best markets are the weekly ones  Dalhart -Nut in Thai ,one near us on a Sunday evening always lots of people they , from about 4 pm -8pm .

Sweet tamarin will keep for about 1 month ,then the insects will attack them ,how long to sell a ton of tamarin ,how long is a piece of string.

For peace of mind load them on to a pick-up , take them down to Rangsit .

cincytwboy .A factory might buy them ,but it finding one ,the op will have to spend a lot time trawling the internet and asking around ,and a factory will probably be very fussy about quality  and will probably want them without the  shell, and stones ,to remove them is is a very time consuming and labour intensive ,wife and  family are doing that now with sour tamarin,  1 ton would take days and days ,but they are  then selling them for 150 baht /kg,

Maybe someone connected to OTOP could help , again a problem of  finding someone.

About the only middleman for tamarin is the wholesale market.  

around us fellas in pickups drive round and buy the de-shelled and de-stoned type, also they "contract" locals to de shell de stone fruit they have. i would think its the bitter type that gets bought and sold here.(udon thani prvince) these guys have been doing for many years, always see the same faces year in year out. in the past they ave bought the fruit de shelled and de stoned at approx 10- 15 baht kg depending year on year, or if you de shell ect their fruit they pay around 3 baht kg, again depending. this year i have not seen them yet in the village.....

if you have a large whole sale market near you it could be worth a look-ask...... the market in udon sells everying, but its very cheap..... if you want good returns on your 1 ton i would try and sell direct to the public yourselves.

23 hours ago, thoongfoned said:

around us fellas in pickups drive round and buy the de-shelled and de-stoned type, also they "contract" locals to de shell de stone fruit they have. i would think its the bitter type that gets bought and sold here.(udon thani prvince) these guys have been doing for many years, always see the same faces year in year out. in the past they ave bought the fruit de shelled and de stoned at approx 10- 15 baht kg depending year on year, or if you de shell ect their fruit they pay around 3 baht kg, again depending. this year i have not seen them yet in the village.....

if you have a large whole sale market near you it could be worth a look-ask...... the market in udon sells everying, but its very cheap..... if you want good returns on your 1 ton i would try and sell direct to the public yourselves.

The tamarins will be the sour verity ,for some reason  Petchabun is the about the only place in Thailand where you can get the sweet verity.

Only yesterday wife's daughter went to our local market to sell some sour tamarins, de-shelled and de-stoned ,not the best of quality ,she was offered 70 bath /kg , which she refused, way to cheap ,she said she will keep them in the fridge until the price rises, she will get 150 baht/kg , in a few weeks time .

Wifes niece's husband sells meatballs and hotdogs ect on a motorbike and sidecar ,he makes his   own dip and  uses tamarin,he said he will pay 120 baht /kg.

Your guys buying at 10-15baht/kg is on to a good thing ,and paying about 3baht/kg to de-shell, de-stone,having done the job myself , some one good would struggle to do 10 -15kg a day .

2 hours ago, kickstart said:

The tamarins will be the sour verity ,for some reason  Petchabun is the about the only place in Thailand where you can get the sweet verity.

Only yesterday wife's daughter went to our local market to sell some sour tamarins, de-shelled and de-stoned ,not the best of quality ,she was offered 70 bath /kg , which she refused, way to cheap ,she said she will keep them in the fridge until the price rises, she will get 150 baht/kg , in a few weeks time .

Wifes niece's husband sells meatballs and hotdogs ect on a motorbike and sidecar ,he makes his   own dip and  uses tamarin,he said he will pay 120 baht /kg.

Your guys buying at 10-15baht/kg is on to a good thing ,and paying about 3baht/kg to de-shell, de-stone,having done the job myself , some one good would struggle to do 10 -15kg a day .

yep checked with the boss, they are the bitter ones round here. the wife has come home this morning with a bag of "stones" or seeds they should be called.555 she said the pickups have not really started his year yet in the village, i have asked her to get a price on low volume buying price. boss also thinks that around here there will be a shortage, for some reason she did not tell me why, all i get is you ask to many qestions...

the 10-15 baht a kg price is on volume like the op asked, sister in law and friends drive around places with loads of these trees and then bring there "harvest" back to the village to be de seeded ect, in the past she has always sold at above prices when selling 500-1000kg a day to said pickup drivers, sort of "farm gate price" me thinks.....

• 3 weeks later...

I was at the Thai annual dairy show last week and they were selling tamarins, from Petchabun 120 bart kg or 100baht kg ,I asked for Sie Tong ,and they where 120 baht/kg , about the dearest I have seen tamarins  for sale ,but they were sweet ,ok maybe  a bit expensive because it was a show, some one was selling tamarin at 4 kg 100 baht , must be local and will not be sweet ,could be sour ones for cooking .

Wife said today our local weekly market selling tamarin at 80 or 100bart kg from Petchabun, she said the ones I bought where bigger, and better looking.

prices over the past week. wife has bought the sweet ones, she says not the best quality 80 baht kg, whole fruit, stone-skin on. local drive by pickup fruit sellers.

whole sale pickup buyers of local bitter-sour stuff, if they buy 5 or 10kg at a time 25 baht kg, de stoned ect. i asked if 500 kg, he just looked like i was mad, then said around 12-15 baht kg, again de stoned.....  

On 18/01/2018 at 9:33 AM, kickstart said:

This year seems to be a glut year for sour tamarins  ,wife's daughter had to bite the bullet with her sour tamarins ,and sell them to niece's husband  at 50 baht/kg ,they is a lot about this year ,still see  people collecting fallen sour tamarins from roadside trees, local weekly market selling them shelled, de-stoned 80baht/kg .

Price will go up soon  for sure,but not as quick as in past years 

12 hours ago, kickstart said:

This year seems to be a glut year for sour tamarins  ,wife's daughter had to bite the bullet with her sour tamarins ,and sell them to niece's husband  at 50 baht/kg ,they is a lot about this year ,still see  people collecting fallen sour tamarins from roadside trees, local weekly market selling them shelled, de-stoned 80baht/kg .

Price will go up soon  for sure,but not as quick as in past years 

see an old fella up a tree on the  edge of the wifes land yesterday, shaking it madly, walked over and its one of these trees.... did not know "we" had one of these trees....