Video: Central drama begs question about right to protect parking space!

rooster59

Video: Central drama begs question about right to protect parking space!

CiHZjUdJ5HPNXJ92GP8f6RvcOYiyHSl95p.jpg

Image: Thai Rath

A video from dash cam was posted on Facebook that recorded a conversation between two women in the parking lot of Central Lat Prao in Bangkok.

In the video one woman is heard rapping on the window of the car that is reversing into a parking space.

The woman outside the car is furious. She said "Didn't you see me - you have no manners".

She said she had been protecting a car parking space for a "civil servant" and had been there for three hours.

The footage - that has nothing to do with the staff member moving a car in front, it is all about the conversation - was posted on the Facebook page of Attapon Phannarai. 

The wife and husband driving were out shopping in Central.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-01-13

this is a funny old place sometimes, i've seen people pushing each others parked cars around -  a good idea in some ways but parking and not using your handbrake doesn't seem very wise.

and 'bagging' tables in restaurants while you get your food... i see the logic but it seems kind of impolite (even childish) to occupy a table when you're not there, especially if other people who have their food need somewhere to sit.

i'm sure the (often logical) way we behave puzzles the locals too...

36 minutes ago, samsensam said:

i've seen people pushing each others parked cars around -  a good idea in some ways but parking and not using your handbrake doesn't seem very wise.

Standard practice if you double park.

If you park blocking someone in and don't leave it in neutral with the brake off you are quite likely to return to a smashed window.**

** It actually depends upon the patience of the person who wishes to exit, parking security often have dollies to jack up errant vehicles in order to move them. Those with less patience use the jack handle ...

Not Thailand, but I remember in Mid-Valley (KL) the parking guys jacking up a vehicle on 4 jacks with a castor on each, turning the car into a giant shopping trolley, they left it "parked" between two columns with about 2" at each end. Evidently a "fee" was going to be charged to extract it.

1 hour ago, samsensam said:

this is a funny old place sometimes, i've seen people pushing each others parked cars around -  a good idea in some ways but parking and not using your handbrake doesn't seem very wise.

and 'bagging' tables in restaurants while you get your food... i see the logic but it seems kind of impolite (even childish) to occupy a table when you're not there, especially if other people who have their food need somewhere to sit.

Been in Thailand long ??  

6 hours ago, samsensam said:

My TW bags a table on a rare eat at Lotus.  I want to eat there not in the car because there is nowhere to sit.

BUT , I do get miffed when shopping later and at the CO queue husband is about to pay then wifey puts more items on the belt and kids turn up with more stuff.

About 25 years ago I parked my car legitimately on Beach Road in Pattaya, outside an indian restaurant. An indian came out and said I could not park there. I said "Why not ? it is a public parking space". Returning to my car about 20 minutes later I found that my car was no longer there, obviously having been towed away on the orders of this ****h*l* who believed the piece of Beach Road belonged to him. Never been to any indian owned business of any kind since :)

21 hours ago, ELVIS123456 said:

Been in Thailand long ??  

Been here 25 years and I certainly don't agree with it. There has to be responsibility and if someones hurt while rolling the cars around whos fault is it? The buck stops with the car owner but he's not there and the only excuse is"IT'S THE WAY WE DO THINGS HERE!" 

Pretty bad that some snotty civil servant sends down an underling to guard a parking space for hours so that they can just swoop in at will and not be bothered by things that they consider beneath them (like finding a parking spot). That civil servant must be a complete arrogant prick. Could easily just pay for the premium reserved parking service that most malls offer that gives you a slot when you want it.

2 hours ago, 01322521959 said:

Been here 25 years and I certainly don't agree with it. There has to be responsibility and if someones hurt while rolling the cars around whos fault is it? The buck stops with the car owner but he's not there and the only excuse is"IT'S THE WAY WE DO THINGS HERE!" 

Up to you - but be warned - I am the type that if you have put your handbrake on and blocked me in I will smash your window to move your car.  The wife prefers we wait, but if we are in a hurry the nearest brick/rock does the job.  Unless there is a guard with a trolley to jack your car up and move it out of the way - but even then I will usually leave a 'reminder' not to do it again. It is the way Thais do things here - get over it and get with the program.

10 hours ago, ELVIS123456 said:

Up to you - but be warned - I am the type that if you have put your handbrake on and blocked me in I will smash your window to move your car.  The wife prefers we wait, but if we are in a hurry the nearest brick/rock does the job.  Unless there is a guard with a trolley to jack your car up and move it out of the way - but even then I will usually leave a 'reminder' not to do it again. It is the way Thais do things here - get over it and get with the program.

I am a motorcyclist and wouldn't own a car here if you bought it for me. Is the brick thing a general thing here?

no, the average Thai doesn’t leave a “reminder” if the security has to trolley jack a car out of the way; even the average Thai is more savvy than that, but hey, that’s them and you’re you ....with your rocks n stuff.

Sent from my shed using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 1/13/2018 at 11:09 AM, rooster59 said:

She said she had been protecting a car parking space for a "civil servant"

Oh, one of those all important servants of the people. Well, next time she wants to protect a parking space for some jumped-up pencil pusher, she might like to use a car.

Just be sure the car you damage isn't owned by a civil servant. Better yet, by a p_____d off six foot, six inch, two-hundred-and-fifty pound, sword-wielding gorilla.

This is Keyboard Warrior stuff of legends... 

Ego before brains I suspect - before this 'hound-dog' gets 'all shook up' he should perhaps check for CCTV before smashing car windows and he ends up singing 'Jail house rock'.

Is that the Central Plaza Lat Phrao  mall, parking garage?  I can't speak to the issue of someone holding a parking space there.  There, I have never seen that done.   I have seen it done at other places. 

But, the moving of the cars in the regular parking area at Central Lat Phrao, I have seen that being done since 1988.  It is only in the last few years have I seen the floor jacks and the vehicle dollies used when the owner leaves the vehicle in gear or

with the parking brake on.  

At Central Plaza Lat Phrao, the jacks and dollies are over at the motorcycle parking area. 

Edited by radiochaser

On 1/13/2018 at 11:25 AM, samsensam said:

The table bagging thing puzzles me too. They don't have the brain power to process the fact that there are few tables available because no-one is sitting at them and they aren't available because someone else has bagged it. And that, anyway, by the time they get their food a table will probably be available because someone else has moved on. Like in the real world.
On the selfish thing, I was once in a KFC in London and a group of Thai women with some kids came in and TOLD me to move so that they could sit together. I might have done if they had ASKED, but they didn't so I ignored them and got angry stares until I left.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

On 1/15/2018 at 3:37 AM, 01322521959 said:

I am a motorcyclist and wouldn't own a car here if you bought it for me. Is the brick thing a general thing here?

There are a lot of them lying around here.  Very useful when some ahole has parked you in with their handbrake on - only had to do it once (after waiting about 30 mins). 

On 1/15/2018 at 2:43 PM, richard_smith237 said:

This is Keyboard Warrior stuff of legends... 

Ego before brains I suspect - before this 'hound-dog' gets 'all shook up' he should perhaps check for CCTV before smashing car windows and he ends up singing 'Jail house rock'.

I have only had to do it once, and yes only a keyboard tosser who insults others from behind a keyboard would not look for CCTV cameras first - easy to do while waiting for 30 mins (and finding that brick). 

Speaking of keyboard tossers - is that your Mum calling ?

On 1/13/2018 at 5:29 PM, digger70 said:

That's Thai Logic,,,  (:   I was there first ,,,got no car but it's coming,,,

I got no car and it's breaking my heart... but I got a parking space and that's a start!  (Sorry Paul/John.)

Edited by Katia

On 1/16/2018 at 6:21 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

On the selfish thing, I was once in a KFC in London and a group of Thai women with some kids came in and TOLD me to move so that they could sit together. I might have done if they had ASKED, but they didn't so I ignored them and got angry stares until I left.

You know it might have come across as rude, and being told, because they didn't have the language skills to tell you more politely.