PM wants Thai-style democracy

rooster59

28 minutes ago, Hupaponics said:

Anyhow, my point of view is, better to adapt to whats on, than yak yak on a forum that wont change a thing.

I am adapting. I have been adapting since the early nineties when I moved here. That doesn't mean I can't have an opinion on what's going on and express that opinion on a forum like TVF, all the while knowing perfectly well it won't change a thing.

That's one of the reasons the forum exists in the first place. Got it?

Edited by Becker

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, Becker said:

That doesn't mean I can't have an opinion on what's going on and express that opinion on a forum like TVF, all the while knowing perfectly well it won't change a thing.

That's one of the reasons the forum exists in the first place. Got it?

I never said that you can not have an opinion. On contrary, I stated earlier that different opinions make the vibrance here, which is good, so yes, I got it;)

Cheers

53 minutes ago, Hupaponics said:

I'm not saying you're not doing anything (I personally don't know you) but too many people on TV like to moan behind the screen and actually do not achieve[EDIT] anything.

Well, in case you did not notice, it's a forum, so it's not really surprising that people post in it! :wink:

More seriously, posters criticise the Junta because there is ample matter to criticise. To some extent, it even becomes a bit boring because there is so much to criticise and It's so easy to do it.

3 hours ago, Becker said:

Hey Steven, buddy! What a fine morning it is in Thailand! Maybe on this morning you can finally confirm that you will indeed move away from Thailand if/when a Shin supported government comes back into power?

Come on Steven - don't be coy!

PS. Why are you totally absent from the Prawit watch threads buddy? We miss your unique perspective on dino # 2's amazing display of undeclared wrist wealth!!

Steven, I see you've read the post and reacted to it so how about an answer to the question buddy? Come on now, don't be shy!!

PS. You do realize that if you don't answer the question you reveal yourself to be just as big a hypocrite as the junta you support, right?

Capture.JPG

Edited by Becker

19 hours ago, Srikcir said:

A complete explanation might enter dangerous grounds of an unlawful discussion. In brief this is what I've read and hopefully can relate safely:

TSD is a very complex construct of a dual-governance system on the one hand based on a populist-based government (Western-style democracy) and on the other hand  based on "a rationality that uses 'Buddhist-based cultural paradigms' that emphasize improvisational, compromised, and flexible adjustments to their [Thai's] social world." - Thai-Style Democracy by Kevin Hewison & Kengkij Kitirianglarp

What I understand from H&K, a Thai government created by electoral participation by TSD definition lacks "moral authority." Such authority solely exists beyond the electorate that relies on "good-meaning" people who can transcend Western-style democratic constructs such as constitutions to unilaterally resolve conflicts.

Your comprehension is stunning  -  in my layman terms, it's an unspoken Coalation of Governance and Religion...........coalation govts  ultimately fail, just ask Laos, Cambodia, Belgium.  Sharia law may be a form of Thai Style Democracy??   I am a reader so will check out M&K book.    Thanx   :wai:

“Our country cannot afford any more conflicts. We certainly must have democracy. But it is Thai-style democracy. We must not break the rules. I ask all Thais to consider this,” he said.

You mean...like...having a general election and then send in the Army, if a certain "part" of the population is not happy with the outcome?

That kind of "break the rules"?

:coffee1:

On 1/14/2018 at 1:35 PM, toughlove said:

Yes I'm saying it's the best pick of a bad bunch.

You have to have a screw loose and WANT to go to jail by protesting against a military regime. They have made this clear.

Don't trash the regime on Facebook and your life here is beautiful

Enjoy!!

What a sad, sad way of thinking!

"Our country cannot afford any more conflicts. We certainly must have democracy. But it is Thai-style democracy. We must not break the rules. I ask all Thais to consider this." he said.

There will be Thai-style democracy. There will be elections for the people of Thailand to be able to choose what political party will rule Thailand. However as section 44 is currently in place that no one can hold a meeting of more than 5 people and that meeting is not allowed to be a political meeting and these restrictions cannot be lifted until after the election there will only be one party nominated for the upcoming election and because I am the only candidate that will be legally able to stand for the position of Prime Minister I hereby declare that Thailand is now a full fledge democracy.

5555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::post-4641-1156694083::post-4641-1156694083::post-4641-1156694083::post-4641-1156694083::post-4641-1156694083::post-4641-1156694083:

39 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

"Our country cannot afford any more conflicts. We certainly must have democracy. But it is Thai-style democracy. We must not break the rules. I ask all Thais to consider this." he said.

There will be Thai-style democracy. There will be elections for the people of Thailand to be able to choose what political party will rule Thailand. However as section 44 is currently in place that no one can hold a meeting of more than 5 people and that meeting is not allowed to be a political meeting and these restrictions cannot be lifted until after the election there will only be one party nominated for the upcoming election and because I am the only candidate that will be legally able to stand for the position of Prime Minister I hereby declare that Thailand is now a full fledge democracy.

5555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::post-4641-1156694083::post-4641-1156694083::post-4641-1156694083::post-4641-1156694083::post-4641-1156694083::post-4641-1156694083:

With such a guy on the top we can only hope for a democrazy.......:post-4641-1156694083:

i think they’re just trying to work out how to fit the Chinese model of politics into the thai system without making it look too Communist.

Actually, it's more likely the managed democracy of Singapore they would like to emulate, complete with top honors in per capita wealth in East Asia (5 times that of Thailand, at $83,000 vice $17,000).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Asian_countries_by_GDP_per_capita

Tops in the happiness index.

https://mothership.sg/2017/10/spore-is-one-of-the-worlds-happiest-places-says-nat-geo-nyt-bestselling-writer/

Tops in health in Asia (and fourth in the world, after only Italy, Switzerland, and Iceland).

https://coconuts.co/singapore/news/singapores-healthiest-country-asia-4th-healthiest-country-world/

Etc, etc, etc.

Yes, at times you're told you can't read the Wall Street Journal; or that you can't chew gum in public; or that you can't urinate in the elevator; or that you'll get cained if you trash somebody's car. But that's not the worst of it -- your free speech is restricted if you have such seditionist ideas such as overthrowing the government -- or you dare slander a public official:

https://www.hrw.org/news/2017/12/13/singapore-laws-chill-free-speech-assembly

Gawd darn, what a horrible place to live. And that the Thai gov't might consider emulating such a place............  NO WAY! Thailand needs universal suffrage, so that any unvetted moron off the streets can be elected. Just like in the US, that bastion of educated, wealthy, healthy, and happy folks.

I'm so happy that democracy works in al the western countries.

Trump was elected by the majority of americas population.

In Sweden parties gathered together (lefties and righties) to avoid democratically chosen party.

Yeah, democracy is "da shhit" 555

My vote is on Mr Prayut!

3 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

With such a guy on the top we can only hope for a democrazy.......:post-4641-1156694083:

With such a guy on top, I'd probably resort to taking up that new BEATUP course at Thammasat University . . . Best Excruciating Assassination Techniques Undoing Prayut. If a few of us did it, I'd volunteer to fly the chopper.

2 minutes ago, Hupaponics said:

I'm so happy that democracy works in al the western countries.

Trump was elected by the majority of americas population.

In Sweden parties gathered together (lefties and righties) to avoid democratically chosen party.

Yeah, democracy is "da shhit" 555

My vote is on Mr Prayut!

Of course your vote is on Mr Prayut because there is no one else to vote for

1 hour ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Sharia law may be a form of Thai Style Democracy?

A novel question.

Perhaps the reverse would be more definitive: Thai Style Democracy may be a hybrid form of "theocratic and democratic elements" such one would find in the governance of Iran. Iran is theocratic with elections, an elected parliament and a constitution!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_of_the_Islamic_Republic_of_Iran

Substitute the Supreme Leader and The Council of Guardians with a military supreme commander and an elitist Buddhist council, would that approximate a TSD vs an Iranian-Style Democracy (ISD)? ... hmmm.

1 minute ago, Srikcir said:

A novel question.

Perhaps the reverse would be more definitive: Thai Style Democracy may be a hybrid form of "theocratic and democratic elements" such one would find in the governance of Iran. Iran is theocratic with elections, an elected parliament and a constitution!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_of_the_Islamic_Republic_of_Iran

Substitute the Supreme Leader and The Council of Guardians with a military supreme commander and an elitist Buddhist council, would that approximate a TSD vs an Iranian-Style Democracy (ISD)? ... hmmm.

Much food for thought there............

19 minutes ago, Ossy said:

With such a guy on top, I'd probably resort to taking up that new BEATUP course at Thammasat University . . . Best Excruciating Assassination Techniques Undoing Prayut. If a few of us did it, I'd volunteer to fly the chopper.

While his sympathy for other countries, especially the US, is real....

With middlefinger.jpg

12 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

He wasn't but that's probably off topic.

Well, the topic is about democracy, isn't it?

I'm not saying it's wright or wrong, like or dislike, ok. 

Just wanted to say to all the heroes of "democracy" that it's not always working that way;)

It's good that this topic has provoked such heated and varied reaction but, with its title 'PM wants Thai-style democracy' simply reminding us what our psychotic PM wants - he who is still unsure whether to don combat fatigues or a girly blouse. For him to utter the words 'Thai-style' is an insult to all Thai people; it's such an admission that 'anything containing the 'D' word will do', it should only be seen as an insult . . . that's if the Thai people care, of course. No one seems to give a shit in my Isan village hideaway. They've always been poor and they grow enough rice to keep from starving, so 'what the heck?'

Forum posters may beg to differ or have their own subtle variations on the Oxford Dictionary definition, but democracy, in my view, is pretty cut-and-dried: A system of government by the whole population or all the eligible members of a state, typically through elected representatives. [Oxforddictionaries.com]  And the other dictionaries are all similar . . . basically government by the people, for the people . . . simple.

So, my exasperated question is, just what is our swinging soldier boy trying to say with his TSD? . . . someone will slap him before long, just to make him aware of the patronising filth that he dishes up weekly, supposedly for Thainess's sake.

Edited by Ossy
omission

On 1/14/2018 at 10:21 AM, asiamaster said:

"Eastern Democracy" as Lee Kuan Yew described his Singapore model and now also the China model has proven to do  miracles to the economies and welfare of developing countries. Basically it is a meritocratic system. It would work very well in Thailand but the problem is finding the people with "merit".

If you really think China's a meritocracy then you've never spent time there.

23 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

If you really think China's a meritocracy then you've never spent time there.

To add:

"national-level meritocracy doesn’t really exist in China either, describing China as rife with “massive factionalism, factional struggle, clientelism, patronage and corruption.” - Timothy Garton Ash, professor of European studies at Oxford University

https://thediplomat.com/2015/10/chinas-meritocracy-vs-western-democracy/

Such system thus describes an elite group of people whose progress is based on class privilege or wealth rather than on ability and talent found in a meritocracy.