• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Thailand 4.0: redefining democracy. 

Western style "democracy" is a hollow hole nowadays, and it doesn't work any more in the west.

Countries are run by big companies, the people have no real power.

Why should western style democracy work in Asia?

Depending on what is included in democracy in the Thai style who knows?

5 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Western style "democracy" is a hollow hole nowadays, and it doesn't work any more in the west.

You are talking about the now.  In the past, it worked as it was grounded by principles of fairness and rule of law.  Because there is rule of law and a system, there is a chance of a better future.

What of Taiwan ?  Taiwan has a working participatory government.  Last I checked, they are in Asia.  Taiwan is capable of having systematic elections, Why?  They protect and cherish the system.  Thailand's elites cherish shortcuts, not systems, but dislike the backlash of failure of said shortcuts. 

8 minutes ago, toughlove said:

Look at two recent pm"s the shins. Rape plunder and pillage and sail away into the horizon.

For some reason expats seem to enjoy this type of democracy.

Perhaps they prefer it to plunder, pillage, and stick around 'cos they have the guns?

Anyway, whatever expats prefer is neither here nor there - the question (which won't be asked) is what do the Thai people prefer?

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

“Our country cannot afford any more conflicts. We certainly must have democracy. But it is Thai-style democracy. We must not break the rules. I ask all Thais to consider this,” he said.

...while winking an eye at his deputy, Prawit Wongsuwan, who silently nodded, apparently fully comprehensive of what the PM actually meant by his words. 

29 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Sure, the Thai version will be a delight I'm sure.

As to the Western model, seems to be working well enough.

Flawed yes, but better than one where no one is allowed to disagree on issues...certainly better than one that gaols you for expressing valid concerns or even just observations.

49 minutes ago, toughlove said:

Huh? I chuckle when I read this. TV is owned by the nation newspaper and thousands of posts bashing Prayuth.

The Nation is not policing the forum so they could care less

How much free speech you want?

there are people in prison for reposting news articles as well as "liking" FB posts, need I say more... am I allowed to say more? no.

3 minutes ago, brucec64 said:

So basically ignore human rights violations in Thailand because they are not the worst offenders? The same as saying let a murderer go who killed one person because another one killed 3?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

These people make me laugh. If a 'red' general staged a counter coup and started jailing their critics, Thaivisa would see them screaming blue murder from the highest hights about human rights atrocities and repression.

What they are actually saying is 'Screw everyone else just as long as me and mine are OK.'

So basically ignore human rights violations in Thailand because they are not the worst offenders? The same as saying let a murderer go who killed one person because another one killed 3?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes I'm saying it's the best pick of a bad bunch.

You have to have a screw loose and WANT to go to jail by protesting against a military regime. They have made this clear.

Don't trash the regime on Facebook and your life here is beautiful

Enjoy!!

2 hours ago, hansnl said:

Works okay in South Korea, Japan and Malaysia. Perhaps you should explore why.

Not doing so well in Myanmar where the military still has a stranglehold on governance similar to Thailand's military.

3 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Thailand just need consistent election and the military to stop staging coup to bring back Thai style democracy.

Not sure about 'consistent election', EL, but Thailand does need consistent party politics, without the squabbling and money-driven corruption that's dogged any sort of democratic governance - Thai style or just normal - for the past 80 years. Elections - fair, we hope - would then be a normal - almost boring, sometimes - part of the process. That's what I think should come first, anyway.

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

that Thailand certainly must have democracy but one that is “Thai-style”.

sure, Mr.Prayut.....with corruption, hiding assets, no media, no freedom of speech, no assembly right, but a strong army with 100% influence on whatever govt. might come in the next 5 decades.....

Thailand = wonderland

Thai style democracy? Sounds like an oxymoron to me.

This is the 'democracy' you are having when you are NOT having a democracy?

Or will it be a 'democracy' where the elite will continue to rule (by the gun if necessary)!

5 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Thailand needs to get away from this ‘Thai style’. This Thai style to me is just an excuse for people to do what they like and say it’s okay ‘cos they’re unique and special. Outsiders can’t undersrand so let us continue. 

Thailand can do whatever it likes. As long as the people don’t mind, the rich and elite can continue helping themselves. But if you wanna play with other countries, you’re gonna have change your arrogant ways or you’ll be isolated. 

Yes, we see a new adjective creeping into the lexicon here.

' Thai-style '  =   something deficient or below standard in some way.

Example :   Manchester United played Thai style in their home defeat to Watford.

Edited by Denim

All Thai Democracy means is that the Military will play an important part in the executive government and will hold Coups whenever it suits , Thailand under these parameters will stay stagnant and a backwater till someone wakes up.................................:bah:

All Thai Democracy means is that the Military will play an important part in the executive government and will hold Coups whenever it suits , Thailand under these parameters will stay stagnant and a backwater till someone wakes up.................................:bah:

They won't need to hold coups if they are an important part. But I think you just described democracy thai style for sure.

who ever listens to uneducated failures needs to seek a brain transplant. 

The character has supported huge thefts from government bodies and has no context of what democracy even means. He is lucky he has a amnesty because decades of jail awaits

2 hours ago, baboon said:

These people make me laugh. If a 'red' general staged a counter coup and started jailing their critics, Thaivisa would see them screaming blue murder from the highest hights about human rights atrocities and repression.

What they are actually saying is 'Screw everyone else just as long as me and mine are OK.'

. . . and just as long as I get my god-like ass on that fancy chair. That's all that really matters . . . innit?