Internet Options for 2-3 months

My wife and I will be staying at her mother's house for the next 2-3 months and we're going to need some sort of internet package that will give us high speed and about 10  GB download per month.

3BB installed broadband the house a few years ago, but we just called them and they said that they would need to install new wires (at a cost of approximately 3,000 baht) and they only have year long packages.  So, right now I'm thinking that's out.

What are our other options?

I've read about "pocket wifi" but since it will probably be in use up to 12 hours/day, and I don't know if that will overwhelm a device that I believe is supposed to be a short term solution not an all day/every day utility.  Am I wrong about this?

Any other ideas?

I'm happy to provide more details if I've left anything out.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions/comments.

:smile:

Edited by up-country_sinclair

When I am out in the sticks I am usually using a pocket wife. Currently I am having a one-two-call simcard. This is 4-G and unlimited for 100 baht per week. The speed of data transmission is for me acceptable (keeping in mind the location where I reside).The provider to choose is depending on the location (not all providers have the same coverage everywhere).

The device is used by 3 - 6 people during the whole day. One 'serious' user with a laptop and the other people with telephones for facebook, games and youtube (songs, soaps and mor lam). There may be a limit but so far never had a problem. Note that I do not use Netflix or the likes. 

19 minutes ago, Halfaboy said:

The device is used by 3 - 6 people during the whole day. One 'serious' user with a laptop and the other people with telephones for facebook, games and youtube (songs, soaps and mor lam). There may be a limit but so far never had a problem. Note that I do not use Netflix or the likes. 

Could I bother you to post the make and model of the pocket wifi you're using?

Thanks again!

I am using a ZTE 933DCA. The device is unlocked and can therefore be used with any simcard. Note that it was bought appr. 6 months ago in Manilla (tax free for appr. 1.000 baht) and are not for sale in shops in Thailand. They can however be bought via Lazada /Alibaba etc.

Thanks for your reply.

Would I just need an AIS SIM card and then send an SMS to  *777*7155*940766#?

You should get an AIS sim card but check internet speeds where you are staying (use speedtest app or google it), if happy with it then either call AIS or look on their website for the number to call. The number in the image above was given to me by AIS Tukcom but when i sealed the deal i called AIS.

Pocket WiFi is fine. Mine is on twenty four hours a day.

Here's an example of what would be suitable; https://www.lazada.co.th/huawei-e5573s-4g-wifi-router-150mbps-e5573c-band-5-850mhz-4g-mifi-pocket-router-4g-mobile-wifi-11024701.html

Halfaboy's package is not unlimited in the way that you might hope, so forget about that.

First you need to determine which provider offers the best coverage and bandwidth in your intended location.

If DTAC is good, https://th.linemobile.com/en/packages have  20 GB of data for 300 baht + V.A.T.

If you don't mind a speed capped, but truly unlimited package, then the AIS package suggested by scubascuba could work, though you might wish to step it up to 6 Mbps instead of 4 Mbps.

Unlimited at 6 Mbps for 30 days;  *777*7211#   588.50 baht

If you just want to try it for one day; *777*7209#   36.40 baht

Truemove H has the same package at the same price.

1Mbps unlimited mobile data:

CAT: 110 baht/month (the offer ended few days ago, best to check if they have new ones)

DTAC, AIS: ~300 baht/month

2 hours ago, oilinki said:

1Mbps unlimited mobile data:

CAT: 110 baht/month (the offer ended few days ago, best to check if they have new ones)

DTAC, AIS: ~300 baht/month

From the OP;

we're going to need some sort of internet package that will give us high speed.....

1 Mbps doesn't qualify. 

Either way, CAT's normal price is 298 baht, so a link to your source showing 110 baht could have been useful.

I use a True pocket wifi in a small bandwith area. For general internet work it is ok but generally not for live streaming. Busy weekends with the tourists here can slow it down. It is best to use their lowest monthly price, only about 3GB download but can top up for 15GB for 15 days at 149 +vat. The speed drops right off when you exceed the GB limit.

Before you go picking a provider it would be useful to talk with the neighbors to determine which cell provider has the best signal and where the cell tower is located...

I would get a 4G hotspot that works with all carriers so you can easily swap out sims that has the dual TS9 antenna port and also get a TS9 compatible antenna... do a search of "ts9 antenna" on Lazada to find them... 

The plans are cheap so you might get a couple different providers sims to test yourself or swap out if one carrier gets slow from congestion ...

1 hour ago, KneeDeep said:

Either way, CAT's normal price is 298 baht, so a link to your source showing 110 baht could have been useful.

It was a flyer at CAT shop. 

On 1/15/2018 at 1:19 PM, Halfaboy said:

When I am out in the sticks I am usually using a pocket wife. Currently I am having a one-two-call simcard. This is 4-G and unlimited for 100 baht per week. The speed of data transmission is for me acceptable (keeping in mind the location where I reside).The provider to choose is depending on the location (not all providers have the same coverage everywhere).

Does your pocket wife play pocket billiards?   :sorry:

• 2 weeks later...

line mobile sim(unlimted pack 850B/month) + using a old (second-hand) android phone to share mobile hotspot (cheaper than pocket wifi) 

you can buy it and pay it online ,also cancel online i'm not so sure

no other cost and limite 

On 1/15/2018 at 6:58 PM, up-country_sinclair said:

Thanks for your reply.

Would I just need an AIS SIM card and then send an SMS to  *777*7155*940766#?

The 940766 is not needed. It will only give that dealer who promoted the tariffs on his signboard a few satang of commission , but it may come with an assault of "promotion" sms and messages from the provider to make u for that commission they have to pay.

dialing *777*7155#  will do