Trump blames U.S. Senator Durbin for blowing immigration deal

webfact

Trump blames U.S. Senator Durbin for blowing immigration deal

2018-01-15T205340Z_1_LYNXMPEE0E1FN_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP.JPG

U.S. President Donald Trump boards Air Force One upon departure from Joint Base Andrews in Maryland, U.S., January 12, 2018. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Monday blamed Senator Dick Durbin for blowing up talks over a deal to help immigrants brought to the country illegally as children and said the Democratic lawmaker misrepresented his comments about Haiti and African countries.

"Senator Dicky Durbin totally misrepresented what was said at the DACA meeting," Trump said in a post on Twitter, referring to the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals programme that gave legal protection to young immigrants known as "Dreamers."

Durbin has said Trump used the term "shithole" when speaking about Haiti and African countries at a White House meeting about immigration policy last week.

"Deals can’t get made when there is no trust! Durbin blew DACA and is hurting our Military," Trump added.

In remarks to reporters in Chicago, Durbin stood by his account of the meeting. Trump has drawn criticism at home, from Republicans and Democrats, and abroad for the comments attributed to him.

"I know what happened. I stand behind every word that I said," Durbin said on Monday.

"In terms of that meeting, I'm focussed on one thing - not that meeting - but on making sure that those who are being protected by DACA ... have a future in America. I'm focussed on that full-time."

(Reporting by Jeff Mason and Tim Ahmann; Editing by Nick Zieminski)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-01-16

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Boon Mee said:

Durbin is the one who misrepresented Trumps words in the DACA meeting. 

Definitely not a straight shooter. 

Whatever. Trump plays word games, even with his denials, really has himself to blame with his never ending lies and misinformation for loss of personal credibility. It is Trump who put in-place conditions which he would have known would get push back from the Dems, then endeavours to put all ownership on them. Trump is transparent with his deceit.  Made a fool of himself in the televised Cabinet Meeting - - the greatest dealmaker - LOL.

It will be informative on how he manages himself at Davos. If he yet again misbehaves with lies and misinformation will likely cement his developing reputation as uninformed and untrustworthy on the world stage.

Edited by simple1

4 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

And you were there? Sen Graham (R) confirmed that is what he said and the two Republicans who now said he didn't say it, originally said "I don't recall" which means "yes".

"Oh my god. He used the word shit hole. The world must come to an end. How many times have you heard or used that word. I have."

but you never been "president of the United State". 

president of a country never use "street language" for his/her speech.

Respect others and be respected.

3 minutes ago, The Theory said:

"Oh my god. He used the word shit hole. The world must come to an end. How many times have you heard or used that word. I have."

Sure. I have used that word alot. But, I am not the representative of a nation. I am not engaged in diplomacy. He insulted 1.2 billion people, and 54 nations, including a few prosperous ones, like South Africa. He is a village idiot. He considers nothing and nobody, before he opens his vile mouth. And he is a racist. Of that I am sure. His racist credentials are assured by his words and actions. He respects nobody. And nobody respects the circus clown, charlatan huckster in chief. 

4 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

Oh my god. He used the word shit hole. The world must come to an end. How many times have you heard or used that word. I have. 

Perhaps so, and that’s OK....but the world deserves more from the supposed leader of the free world.

personally, I expect more from the man who has the biggest nuclear button... actually, that he is so small minded and demeaning of others, whilst having the big button, is scary and irresponsible

old mate round the bar can shit hole this and that to their hearts content... they are not diplomats or politicitians who influence world opinion and politics, and they don’t wish to lead a nation.

a president should be presidential... a dignified demeanor.... you know... like obama

11 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Sure. I have used that word alot. But, I am not the representative of a nation. I am not engaged in diplomacy. He insulted 1.2 billion people, and 54 nations, including a few prosperous ones, like South Africa. He is a village idiot. He considers nothing and nobody, before he opens his vile mouth. And he is a racist. Of that I am sure. His racist credentials are assured by his words and actions. He respects nobody. And nobody respects the circus clown, charlatan huckster in chief. 

He wasn't representing a nation in diplomacy in the oval office during that meeting. He was doing what every President and lawmakers do,talk!Their was nothing racist about wanting to have the best people migrate to America.

50 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I guess it's not even worth noting anymore that trump made up yet another bullying branding insult for Durbin. What kind of president is this? I want to trade him in!

Lol.... trump cast aspersions creating the birthism debate about obama... perhaps someone might suggest trump is part Thai, given his propensity toward blaming others

1 minute ago, riclag said:

He wasn't representing a nation in diplomacy in the oval office during that meeting. He was doing what every President and lawmakers do,talk!Their was nothing racist about wanting to have the best people migrate to America.

The most humorous part of that statement, is that you are referring to a president who absolutely refuses to address LEGAL immigration. The immigration polices are in drastic need of reform, yet he is not willing to discuss the quota system, or any other broken part of the system. All of his dialogue about immigration, is ALWAYS about illegal immigration. Why do you think the US is no longer able to attract the best and the brightest from around the world? Nuclear physicists from India are not able to get visas. Top doctors and researchers, scientists, and mathematicians are being turned away by a bizarre and antiquated immigration policy. Nobody who supports the huckster wants to discuss this. 

As a former foreign service officer who has screened thousands of visa applications, I’ve toiled deep inside the bowels of our broken immigration bureaucracy. The bad news is that the system is even more dysfunctional than most Americans realize.

http://thefederalist.com/2017/06/26/5-sensible-low-cost-ways-reform-broken-immigration-system/

Immigrants play a key role in bringing in a new generation of workers to support the growing number of retirees. That’s why developed countries, such as Canada, where birth rates represent only one-third of population growth, actively encourage immigration. The same concern prompted China to dump its one-child policy in favor of a two-child policy.

In America, immigrants have played a critical role in growing the U.S. economy. Its success depends on the country’s ability to attract the best and brightest. Over half of U.S. startups now worth $1 billion or more were founded by immigrants. Forty percent of Fortune 500 companies were started by immigrants or their children. And all six of America’s 2016 Nobel Prize winners in science and economics were immigrants.

http://fortune.com/2017/02/16/donald-trump-immigration-canada/

9 hours ago, webfact said:

U.S. President Donald Trump on Monday blamed Senator Dick Durbin for blowing up talks over a deal to help immigrants brought to the country illegally as children and said the Democratic lawmaker misrepresented his comments about Haiti and African countries.

BS.

11 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

10 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

Definitely not a straight shooter and doing more for illegal immigrants than for Illinois citizens. 

I'm thinking he too is a shithole.

Hmm...

Edited by metisdead
Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording.

1 hour ago, riclag said:

The topic is Trump blames U.S. Senator Durbin for blowing immigration deal. Not about "a president who absolutely refuses to address LEGAL immigration".

Supporters of the charlatan, will insist there is no connection. But, in reality he is again trying to deflect. The real debate is about finding solutions to the immigration woes that the US faces. One cannot do that, without addressing legal immigration. As usual, he has made this personal. The most thin skinned man, in the history of the US presidency (and yes, that includes Nixon) is unable to detach himself from his fragile ego long enough to have a rational discussion or debate. And he absolutely must attack anyone who disagrees with him, refuses to go along with his deceptions, or outs him in any way. 

4 hours ago, The Theory said:

Except for LBJ, Truman, Clinton, et. al.