Thai sex industry now worth 260 billion baht, say Thai media

webfact

Thai sex industry now worth 260 billion baht, say Thai media

2pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook Money

Thai media has claimed that the country's sex industry is probably worth 260 billion baht.

Sanook Money were speculating about the country's infamous sex businesses after the raid on the Victoria Secret massage parlor in Bangkok became the latest news to put the issue of pay for sex in the public spotlight.

Sanook went back ten years to 2007 when famous ex soapy massage boss Chuwit Kamolvisit came up with figures for the number of sex workers, average wages for sex workers and percentage of GDP (Gross Domestic Product) garnered by the sex industry.

Chuwit, who ran for political office before being jailed for corruption, later became a well-known TV host.

He reckoned that the sex industry was worth 163 billion in 2007. Top of the tree for earning were Thai style traditional massage parlors, followed by beer bars, soapy massage, karaoke and other brothels.

It was reckoned that the industry represented 2% of GDP.

With GDP now at 13 trillion baht it could mean that the sex industry today is worth a staggering 260 billion baht, said Sanook.

Source: Sanook Money

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-01-16

11 minutes ago, AGareth2 said:

tax it and distribute to the old people

sort of like what the girls are doing already

I wonder if those massage places are not already taxed, i also wonder how much of their actual profit is taxed if it is taxed at all. 

• Like 1

Say 10% to the RTP and some to the RTA, that's a neat 26 Billion of corrupt money. Surely that necessitate a major police and military reform. Maybe no, too much at stake. 

Eric, that is precisely why there will be no major police or military reform
But then I'm sure you know that...

Sent from my KENNY using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I wonder if those massage places are not already taxed, i also wonder how much of their actual profit is taxed if it is taxed at all. 

I think that the concept you are looking for is "informal taxation", a chap in a tight brown or green uniform pops round from time to time to collect the "tax". No paperwork, all very relaxed...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

I'm sure I pumped a good deal into that . . . :smile:

same here and had a great time doing it , thank goodness for the thai sex industry or i would be using a box of tissues a week and my hand would be dropping off , go go sex workers !! ha ha 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JAG said:

I think that the concept you are looking for is "informal taxation", a chap in a tight brown or green uniform pops round from time to time to collect the "tax". No paperwork, all very relaxed...

No that they are extorted is something I understand good source of income for police and army. I was more thinking along the lines that these guys must register as a business and pay taxes.. or would they not even go through that trouble as they are already paying of the army or police ? 

I really don't know just curious 

Maybe jockeying for some sort of ministry of hooking... Keep an eye on prices like they do with staples.... maybe set up some government run knock shops to drive entrepreneurs out of business whilst returning happiness to the Thai people