Tourist taken to hospital after being electrocuted at Bali Hai port, Pattaya

webfact

4 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

I too was surprised by the lack of extra low voltage (12V) accessories such as garden lights and external LED’s etc. While ELV is still fed by a 220V feed  a large variety have external, remote transformers or can be fed from a single 12V source in something like a MSB or a mechanically and UV protected connection box.

In a harsh environment such as Thailand’s hot, humid weather with salt water environments in coastal regions ELV provides another level of protection for fault conditions.

I’m unsure of what reason they would don’t use these methods. Maybe cost? Obviously availability. But it would actually be cheaper in the case of materials to run 12V LV cable over a large area than the bigger CSA 220V TPS.

Most likely just down to education and the ability to think of better, cheaper and different processes.

An external 220V accessory that is no doubt of a very low or non existent IP rating feed by a LV feed that people are regularly in contact with is very worrying! More than likely wouldn’t be a death hazard but would definitely give you a shock, especially in damp conditions with no shoes!

It just shows how totally uneducated the Thai are about safety and electrics.

Even in 5-6* resorts i see those plastic connectorboxes right next to pools, waterfalls and everywhere. Some already are cracked and covered by a stone, like if that's going to help during rain or wet conditios.

I just hope this farangs family sues the Pattaya responsibles for 50 million baht, that's the only way to force Thailand to change...

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 2:09 PM, atyclb said:

these electrified tulips cover the front lawn of a popular bkk mall

im thinking crazy to send ac line voltage to electric flowers on grass. animals can die if they chew let alone children playingP_20180104_163546.thumb.jpg.4cf0f3ca9ea15b83c38363f4dd25d636.jpg

I think you may find that the actual voltage at the individual lights is not higher than on Xmas tree lights. Tell me if I'm wrong.

However, in a country where "electricians" don't know how to make a working earth, such is not unexpected.

Only thing that surprises me is that more don't die from exposed wires.

PLEASE HELP!!! I know this person. He has a daughter in the United States. If anyone who can witness this scene, or has any pictures "PLEASE RESPOND"
Name? He may have been travelling with people known to him. Plus a name would make a Google search possible.

Why are they hiding the identity of this man ? Normally we would at least know which nationality , is it a westerner or Asian ?  

Maybe TAT called in to ask them not report it to protect tourism......:sad:

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I think you may find that the actual voltage at the individual lights is not higher than on Xmas tree lights. Tell me if I'm wrong.

However, in a country where "electricians" don't know how to make a working earth, such is not unexpected.

Only thing that surprises me is that more don't die from exposed wires.

tree lights are connected to the mains, under certain conditions they can be lethal, they are normally connected in series sharing the 240 mains so 24 10v bulbs, more modern arrangements use LEDs which can also be connected to mains.

I remember people used to put tin foil into a socket were the bulb had blown to make the circuit which increased the voltage to each bulb, the more you replaced the higher the voltage which in fact increased the heat produced by each bulb

the bottom line is that anything connected to the mains is dangerous

17 minutes ago, smedly said:

tree lights are connected to the mains, under certain conditions they can be lethal, they are normally connected in series sharing the 240 mains so 24 10v bulbs, more modern arrangements use LEDs which can also be connected to mains.

I remember people used to put tin foil into a socket were the bulb had blown to make the circuit which increased the voltage to each bulb, the more you replaced the higher the voltage which in fact increased the heat produced by each bulb

the bottom line is that anything connected to the mains is dangerous

I'm not disagreeing that Xmas lights can potentially be made dangerous, but I was responding only to the picture of the flowers in the grass.

Anything can be dangerous in the hands of the ignorant, and life is a lottery, anyway.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm not disagreeing that Xmas lights can potentially be made dangerous, but I was responding only to the picture of the flowers in the grass.

Anything can be dangerous in the hands of the ignorant, and life is a lottery, anyway.

yes I understand that, looking at the picture there is no doubt in my mind that these lights are dangerous along with pretty much everything else in Thailand because doing things right costs a lot more money and they don't want to spend it

Poor chap and hope the innocent tourist is back on his feet soon. What happened to the victim in Pattaya could happen to anybody here.

The Thai public engineers just don't seem to give a damm on anything...human safety and life seems to be at the bottom of the priority and ethical list ?

11 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Poor chap and hope the innocent tourist is back on his feet soon. What happened to the victim in Pattaya could happen to anybody here.

The Thai public engineers just don't seem to give a damm on anything...human safety and life seems to be at the bottom of the priority and ethical list ?

A few weeks ago as we all know a Brit on holiday died at an hotel after touching a hand rail. Nothing in this country electrical or other is safe