Krabi officials to limit the number of tourists to Maya Bay

snoop1130

Krabi officials to limit the number of tourists to Maya Bay

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

p02ntsq0-681x341.jpg

Following thousands of tourists pouring into Maya Bay during the tourism high season and over-crowding the beach on a daily basis, the President of Krabi Industry Council, Aekawit Pinyothammanotai, said today (January 17) that the number of tourists will have to be controlled.

“The number of tourists traveling to Krabi beaches keeps increasing while the resources remain the same; this results in a lot of trash, noise and overcrowded boats that makes accidents more likely and long-term environmental damage unavoidable,” he said.

“The departments involved have to find a measure to control their number by asking the tour companies to report how many clients they have and when the number reaches the maximum, we have to tell the rest to wait until the following day.

Full Story: https://www.phuketgazette.net/lifestyle/travel/krabi-officials-limit-number-tourists-maya-bay

pgazette_logo-20170817.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2018-1-17

I remember a similar announcement with regards to the popular National Parks over the New Year a couple of years ago. Then they decided it was all too much trouble to implement and it was just forgotten. That is what will happen here.

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“The departments involved have to find a measure to control their number by asking the tour companies to report how many clients they have and when the number reaches the maximum, we have to tell the rest to wait until the following day.

Well, that's going to work.

Not.

Still, it would be a great system for a few backhanders.

"Have another 20 for tomorrow"

"Sorry, quota reached"

"2,000 Baht?"

"OK".

I tried booking 1st class tickets for 5 on the State Railways of Thailand, only to be told that tickets could not be booked more than 60 days in advance, I tried booking the tickets again on the morning of the 60th day only to be told all the tickets were sold out. Scalpers will have a field day with this.

4 hours ago, Briggsy said:

I remember a similar announcement with regards to the popular National Parks over the New Year a couple of years ago. Then they decided it was all too much trouble to implement and it was just forgotten. That is what will happen here.

Yep,... it will be rugged under the carpet until things are forgotten,..... and then back to business as usual.

On 1/18/2018 at 2:59 PM, biggles45 said:

A quota system was introduced at the Underground River Caves in the Philippines some years ago due to over crowding. Shows it can be done and appears to work well. 

You have obviously never been to the Underground River.  The pretend limit is 1000 people per day.  If only this were the case.  To my knowledge (I live in Cebu much of the year) no one has ever been denied a ticket because this pretend limit has been reached.  Was there 2 months ago.   Extremely obvious there were many thousands at the site.  Tourists, mostly Korean and Chinese, were pouring in as fast as the banka boats could bring them.  Unpleasant experience was had by all.  Maya Bay is a fair analogy of the effects of uncontrolled mass tourism.

Archived