Video: Vendor explains herself as Thai dual pricing drama simmers

webfact

Just now, stament said:

Someone needs to be the full guy to deter others and encourage change. Just her bad luck someone posted on social  media

Yeah, always better to hound someone with very little power than actually critique the whole system of officially sanctioned dual pricing, eh.    

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seems Thais don`t like it when the shoe is on the other foot. Now a Thai person has experienced how it feels to be ripped off and over charged just on a person`s racial appearance. This happened to a Thai and then suddenly it becomes an outrage. Now this woman has learned what it`s like being a foreigner either visiting or living in Thailand.

There can be no excuses for charging higher prices solely based on race. I am glad this has happened and been brought to the Thai public attention. Let it be known internationally that when tourists visit Thailand they should be prepared to pay double or more prices higher than Thais and ripped off at every given opportunity.

Edited by cyberfarang

22 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I accept dual pricing for nothing, but the growing hysteria surrounding this case is out of proportion to the offence. 

But wouldn't it be great if this was the straw that broke the camel's back?

4 minutes ago, kingkenny said:

Is it  sanctioned for private businesses? Can you steer me towards this legislation?

I think it is more a case of people getting away with it so continue the practice, I hope she is embarrassed by this greed.

My point is she is doing exactly the same thing and if netizens and the media want to do something about it, they should focus their attention on the thinking that lies behind such a practice, rather than going after this woman. 

4 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

My point is she is doing exactly the same thing and if netizens and the media want to do something about it, they should focus their attention on the thinking that lies behind such a practice, rather than going after this woman. 

So they should ignore this woman? Isn't this highlighting the issue to Thais that don't know about this practice, I know many I speak to are not aware of it. She should be hounded to the point where others think twice before doing it. She is greedy and got found out, highlight it  

Just now, kingkenny said:

So they should ignore this woman? Isn't this highlighting the issue to Thais that don't know about this practice, I know many I speak to are not aware of it. She should be hounded to the point where others think twice before doing it. She is greedy and got found out, highlight it  

No, they should stop hounding her and actually question the entire practice itself, at a sanctioned level. 

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

No, they should stop hounding her and actually question the entire practice itself, at a sanctioned level. 

and isn't this hounding leading to questions being asked whereas before they were not being asked. If one more person is made aware of this practice and starts to question it then it's a good thing.

Should we just ignore this woman and the bad publicity to this practice she is bringing?

49 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

However, this poor woman has done nothing more than the national parks and other attractions do.

I doubt the parks were set up originally to double price tourists. 

However, IMHO she has set up her kitchen kiosk to do that from the onset, any extra money made from Thais would be a bonus.

Also why the need for her to mention the "high rental cost"?

20 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Yeah, always better to hound someone with very little power than actually critique the whole system of officially sanctioned dual pricing, eh.    

Look she's in the wrong she's no angel unless you are saying  she didn't know she was cheating said customer. If You cheat be prepared for the consequences regardless of whether others are doing it or not she had a choice. Zero sympathy maybe I'm harsh but we are all entitled to our own opinions. I don't agree with bullying on social media btw but am all for transparency 

1 minute ago, evadgib said:

One of the biggest and most pleasant surprises for Thais visiting our homelands is the total lack of such nonsense and the consequences for any that dare think otherwise.  

Agree

6 minutes ago, kingkenny said:

and isn't this hounding leading to questions being asked whereas before they were not being asked. If one more person is made aware of this practice and starts to question it then it's a good thing.

Should we just ignore this woman and the bad publicity to this practice she is bringing?

Exactly my point highlights it and has to start somewhere.

2 minutes ago, kingkenny said:

The bad publicity was story one, the follow up is getting out of hand and is going to ruin this woman’s business. 

The anger being directed at her should be directed at the sanctioning of it at an official level, which has led everyone involved in dual pricing to think its ok for them to do so. 

3 minutes ago, james.d said:

I doubt the parks were set up originally to double price tourists. 

However, IMHO she has set up her kitchen kiosk to do that from the onset, any extra money made from Thais would be a bonus.

Also why the need for her to mention the "high rental cost"?

Where do you think she got the idea it was ok to do so?

3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

The bad publicity was story one, the follow up is getting out of hand and is going to ruin this woman’s business. 

The anger being directed at her should be directed at the sanctioning of it at an official level, which has led everyone involved in dual pricing to think its ok for them to do so. 

She made this choice, she chose to price gouge, if she loses her business then it is at her own hands. She had the option to charge the same price to everyone but chose to ignore it. Her costs did not go up based on the origin of the diner so why should her prices go up?

Pure greed on her part.

5 minutes ago, stament said:

Look she's in the wrong she's no angel unless you are saying  she didn't know she was cheating said customer. If You cheat be prepared for the consequences regardless of whether others are doing it or not she had a choice. Zero sympathy maybe I'm harsh but we are all entitled to our own opinions. I don't agree with bullying on social media btw but am all for transparency 

I’m not defending what she did., my point is that it is hypocritical of the media/netizens to hound this woman and ignore it at an official level. 

2 minutes ago, kingkenny said:

She made this choice, she chose to price gouge, if she loses her business then it is at her own hands. She had the option to charge the same price to everyone but chose to ignore it. Her costs did not go up based on the origin of the diner so why should her prices go up?

Pure greed on her part.

I don’t agree with what she did, however she did no worse than the national parks and other attractions. 

53 minutes ago, stament said:

Agree for this activity but not other things like food

Totally disagree. I pay a lot of income tax in this country and get absolutely nothing in return, I pay for every service I need.

To then be charged 10-20 times the price of a local (many of whom dodge their taxes, some of whom are extremely wealthy) to enter a national park (that my taxes help to maintain) is ridiculous. I don't see how it can be justified for tax paying expats, yet last time I went there they wouldn't allow me to pay Thai price even with a work permit and driving licence.

I have no sympathy for this woman either. If you rip people off and get caught, you're just gonna have to suck it up.

13 minutes ago, kingkenny said:

Pure greed on her part.

Greed is good according to Gordon  ?

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

It's not just overcharging,its gross overcharging, at twice the price, surely this must be a crime, but as usual nothing will come of it.

just hope this effects the scammers business, that will hurt her most.

regards worgeordie

Gross overcharging --- At the underwater world venue under Paragon the rude abrupt supervisor inisted I pay an outrageous fee and my Thai family maybe one quarter or less of the farang price.

My Thai adult son quickly showed my Thai permanent resident card and Thai drivers license, girl then says 'not same family. All family ID cards produced showing my original typical Western family name.

Girl insisted 'but he's farang', then she aid to my son 'you should be helping me to get higher entrance fee from the farang'.

Son retorted 'this farang is my father'. Girl ignored my son and kept insisting on same high total entrance fee.

Son turned the whole family around and we walked out. 

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

I don’t agree with dual pricing, in fact I hate it and the thinking that lies behind it. 

However, this poor woman has done nothing more than the national parks and other attractions do.

This whole thing is being blown out of proportion, and this woman is being crucified, mainly (I suspect), because the person overcharged was Thai.  

Let her be.

If the authorities really want fair pricing for all, they should clean up their own house first. 

Its not the Government that want fair pricing its the Foreigners that are being overcharged. Do Not try to defend this racist act in any way. And don't even try to say it happens in the West it dosnt, maybe certain States or Counties give local residents discounts, that is totally different

1 minute ago, baansgr said:

Its not the Government that want fair pricing its the Foreigners that are being overcharged. Do Not try to defend this racist act in any way. And don't even try to say it happens in the West it dosnt, maybe certain States or Counties give local residents discounts, that is totally different

Please point out where I defend dual pricing.

11 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Gross overcharging --- At the underwater world venue under Paragon the rude abrupt supervisor inisted I pay an outrageous fee and my Thai family maybe one quarter or less of the farang price.

My Thai adult son quickly showed my Thai permanent resident card and Thai drivers license, girl then says 'not same family. All family ID cards produced showing my original typical Western family name.

Girl insisted 'but he's farang', then she aid to my son 'you should be helping me to get higher entrance fee from the farang'.

Son retorted 'this farang is my father'. Girl ignored my son and kept insisting on same high total entrance fee.

Good for him. This attitude is endemic any Thai should assist in gouging money from a Farang. It's their duty as Thais . Many who don't speak Thai are totally unaware that this conversation is going on under their noses.

Edited by Lemonltr

Is it fair this lady is getting s*** for ripping someone off? Yes. Of course it is. If you don't wanna be persecuted for ripping people off, don't rip people off. Just 'cos the government do it, does 't make it right for you to do it.

One way to get around the dual pricing at national parks....
Last time (a long time ago) I went to a national park I handed the lady 40Baht as the sign said ๔๐ บาท and when she started saying that the fee was 200 Baht I just started ranting in Thai the then why did the sign say that the price was 40 Baht... in the end I paid 40 Baht! :)

34 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Now I don't know what the workplace assault statistics are, but the likes of the employee above would only have themselves to blame if they added to them, not that I condone or endorse violence.