Do you think living in Chiang Mai will shorten your lifespan?

music065

11 hours ago, kenk24 said:

As compared to living where?

EXACTLY.  I was thinking the same thing.  Yes, CM does have some air pollution, particularly certain times of the year.  But if the alternative is another big city, it'll be much of the same.

But even if the OP were living in pristine conditions, but not exercising, eating/drinking to excess, smoking, lonely, stressed out, etc., he wouldn't be helping his case.  

To be fair, I do wish CM did more to reduce air pollution levels.  But we're nowhere near the worst.  According to this site, we're not even the worst in Thailand.  Surprisingly, that distinction belongs to Pattaya.  But unfortunately, CM is in the top 100.

https://www.numbeo.com/pollution/rankings_current.jsp

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, happyas said:

It may well  be reasonable to ask and as i said initially IMO the answer is NO.

A more pertinent question may well have been;

Do you think that living in C/M could be detrimental to my long term well being? {if i happen to be one of the minority that suffer from the effects of pollution ?}

I agree, I also think the OP  should change the "will" to  "could"

IMO it could but it most probably won't.

Living here has wonderfully shrunk the part of us (my conjoined Orang mind-soul + me) that ever allows thoughts of mortality to eclipse the eternity in every moment

Just: look in a flower, or, the eyes of a child.

~o:37;

2 hours ago, Berkshire said:

To be fair, I do wish CM did more to reduce air pollution levels.

To be fair most air pollution in CNX comes from neighboring countries. Myanmar, Laos, Kampuchea, ...

As prevailing air flow is from the West, due to the Coriolis force, that is the most likely source.

The opposite to the original submission. I've been here for 17 years and approaching 80. I reckon I would already be a snuff job back in the UK. Plenty of sunshine, good quality of life, peace of mind, couldn't be better 

16 hours ago, sirineou said:

Carrying that logit to an extreme then one could say that jumping in front of a speeding train will not shorten your lifespan because you really didn't know how long you were going to live . 

I would say that if one did not engage in risky behaviours  one has a reasonable expectation to live with in the parameters of universally accepted statistics. 

So IMO it is reasonable to ask the question of whether moving to CM provided a considerable risk that could adversely affect your expected lifespan. 

Have a long but boring life old son

16 hours ago, kenk24 said:

As compared to living where? 

I think there are many factors in each place and maybe most important is how much you enjoy life there. 

I was first in CM in 1974. I now live a few hours south but visit about monthly or more and I just get a special feeling every time I turn off the highway and continue west into the city, with Doi Suthep in front of me. Just feels like a special recurring place in my life. How much time does that add? 

When you can see Doi Suthep you mean?

On 1/20/2018 at 4:09 AM, FolkGuitar said:

Because the air here isn't any better or worse than most of the places I've lived. Or, more importantly, where I would WANT to live.

I've lived in Thailand for 17 years now. (I kept saying 15 years out of habit, but my wife reminded me that we moved here in 2001.)  I'm 71 years old. I'm an avid scuba diver, I compete every year in International Fencing tournaments, walk between 10-20 kilometers a week (more when my old knees can take it,) and simply find no difficulties breathing during burning season. When the air gets so bad that I can't see the mountain I'll put on an N95 mask for one or two weeks, but that it.

I just really don't give much thought to dying. I'd rather pay attention to living.

I am pleased for you that you are still in good health at a fine old age but to state that Chiang Mai pollution won't damage you or others is naive. It cannot be doing your body or anybody elses any good otherwise why wear a mask !! Just don't bother to wear it if the pollution won't damage your health. I have not been anywhere in Europe where people feel the need to wear facemasks

32 minutes ago, Gruff said:

I am pleased for you that you are still in good health at a fine old age [/quote]

Thank you.  :smile:

but to state that Chiang Mai pollution won't damage you or others is naive.

Which is perhaps why I never say such a thing.

It cannot be doing your body or anybody elses any good

I haven't seen anyone saying it's doing them any good. Have you?

I will state that I don't believe that it's shortening my life span, which was the OP's original question. But again, this isn't something I dwell upon. There is just too much living to be done to spend time worrying about dying. I guess that's a choice we get to make.

On 1/20/2018 at 10:36 AM, userabcd said:

The internet contains an abundance of predictions and a persons lifespan in a polluted environment could be shortened by between 0 and 10 years.

You should start reading research from credible sources like this one on this website: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/05/170519153547.htm

Traffic-related air pollution linked to DNA damage in children

Or this one for the skeptics:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/02/170227134914.htm

Woodstoves are good for the soul, bad for the heart

There is more for the ones who seek. Research more by typing pollution in the search area. 

2 hours ago, Gruff said:

When you can see Doi Suthep you mean?

yes, thought that was implied. And I agree with your other comment about the smoke... It doesn't bother me as much as others, same with the traffic, but there is no way breathing that soupy yellow air on the bad days can be good for you - but the water quality is probably better than Flint Michigan...

On 1/20/2018 at 11:09 AM, FolkGuitar said:

Because the air here isn't any better or worse than most of the places I've lived. Or, more importantly, where I would WANT to live.

I've lived in Thailand for 17 years now. (I kept saying 15 years out of habit, but my wife reminded me that we moved here in 2001.)  I'm 71 years old. I'm an avid scuba diver, I compete every year in International Fencing tournaments, walk between 10-20 kilometers a week (more when my old knees can take it,) and simply find no difficulties breathing during burning season. When the air gets so bad that I can't see the mountain I'll put on an N95 mask for one or two weeks, but that it.

I just really don't give much thought to dying. I'd rather pay attention to living.

What a stupid pointless post, if youre worried about dying by living in Chiang Mai then go back to Barking and buy yourself a LARGE Donner Kebab !        

Soon after moving here from Hong Kong just over three years, my chronic allergic eczema and rhinitis had both cleared up and I'm now on half the dose of antihypertensives I required in HK, so it would seem not. The air's a lot fresher here too.

IMHO, it really depends on the alternatives and one’s personal financial situation.

If money were not an issue, and I could enjoy a comfortable lifestyle anywhere in the world, I would prefer parts of North America (e.g. California, Rockies) or Europe (e.g. Alps).

If I were limited to Social Security, the above would be impossible, or living conditions would be rather dismal and unsanitary due to increased stress, unhealthy housing/food, lack of proper healthcare, etc.

What Chiang Mai has to offer is an inexpensive and stress-free lifestyle, with plenty of things to remain active throughout retirement, not to mention healthier food choices, at least compared to the US, and access to adequate healthcare.

Actually, I believe that retiring in Chiang Mai could lengthen my lifespan, despite pollution (One can always stay indoors, use air filtration systems and face masks, and take a trip during the worst period from mid-March through early April.)

21 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Am more and more convinced that the reading of public internet forums has to be one of the leading causes of premature death, location be damned

Somewhat odd you are posting on a public internet forum, then.

5 hours ago, malibukid said:

if the stress from the heavy traffic or pollution does not get you first.  chiang mai has gotten very crowded, not as quaint as it once was.  oh well thats progress?

??

You don't see CM as a quaint little mountain village with nice temples and a cool moat?

You don't see Pattaya as a charming fishing village with a cool beach and a few bars?

Speak to Chinese tour guide they will tell you.

All quaint, cool, charming, beautiful and cute........

20 minutes ago, FashionExport said:

Living ANYWHERE in Thailand shortens your lifespan.

And not because of the pollution, but because of the sh*t food we eat !

You do realize what an insanely stupid comment this is.  Surely you have a choice as to what you ingest.  Unless someone is forcing a greasy cheeseburger down your throat on a daily basis. 

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

You do realize what an insanely stupid comment this is.  Surely you have a choice as to what you ingest.  Unless someone is forcing a greasy cheeseburger down your throat on a daily basis. 

Nobody forces anyone to eat Thai food either.

I cook nearly all my own food these days, and it's all western food.

Yes, but so does living in Bangkok. The particulate in the air is 50% over the limit set by the world health organization. according to the ministry of health. 55K of Bangkok citizens die every year form airborne related diseases