Opening a Thai bank account in Bangkok

likeke

7 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

This topic has several threads recently.  Mostly with untrue comments about how they are staying in a hotel and opened an account on a tourist visa.  Uhuh, sure you did.  

Yes, good luck on it.  Work permit and a local address are good to go.

The rest of the options are minimal.

PS: if you go to an agency most can facilitate this for you for a fee. Could beat walking around for several days.  I have no idea of the cost.

I opened my bank account end of 2016 at Krungsri Central Rama 9 branch with a tourist visa and a 6 month rental contract for an apartment, and shortly after this a friend of me opened one at a branch (Krungsri) somewhere at Phuket also with a tourist visa and a 6 month rental contract.

They don't check if the rental contract is real and of course your GF could rent her room to you or whatever

Why should anybody lie about this?

42 minutes ago, Argus Tuft said:

Rest of the options minimal but possible.  See my previous post, not the one you quote.

To be honest, I opened my first two bank accounts here on a visa exemption (not a tourist visa)

I was spending a lot of time in Thailand, but working in nearby countries - Thailand was one of my bases, although I was not working here, I did spend a lot of time here in between work in nearby countries

It really does depend on the bank staff on the day, and that is why I suggested that one should be prepared to shop around

My situation is unusual, but it does point to being able to open an account without being just a tourist

Yes, ok. 

I only comment on this because of personal experience.  Maybe 25 different places before I got an account in Pattaya (where else right) with a retirement Visa and a rental contract.

I find it interesting on some of these threads people who claim to get accounts . I ask the name of the bank, the branch, and the contact person and they say nothing...... of course it is all a untrue.

3 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Yes, ok. 

I only comment on this because of personal experience.  Maybe 25 different places before I got an account in Pattaya (where else right) with a retirement Visa and a rental contract.

I find it interesting on some of these threads people who claim to get accounts . I ask the name of the bank, the branch, and the contact person and they say nothing...... of course it is all a untrue.

Kasikorn Soi 6 sub-branch Bankok, first account opened.  Cannot name the person who opened it, who can remember this detail? Went with an expat friend who had an account and he introduced me to the manager, manager directed us to a staff member, account opened on the spot.  No visa, visa exempt stamp only
Kasikorn Phuket Chanacharoen Road (Phuket town)
Second account opened. No Visa, was on my own.  Explained my situation, and account opened on the spot after manager was called to question me.

7 minutes ago, Argus Tuft said:

Not doubting your experience, but please do not say others who have managed to open accounts are giving untrue posts thanks

Well, there you go.

What branch, when, what type of account, name of contact?

You cannot provide any of this?

So, how does this help anyone seeking an account?

You verify my prior post.

thank you.

Edited by bkk6060

1 minute ago, bkk6060 said:

Well, there you go.

thank you.

Nice cherry pick of my posts.

Did you not read it in full? Gave the full bank name and branch location.
Do you want a google map link as well?

Edited by Argus Tuft

22 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Well, there you go.

thank you.

Hi bkk6060, i dont zee the need to nick pick and dont see the need to provide contact details openly and even if provided, that person may or may not do it for the next person who approach him / her. The point of the forum is to share useful information among us expats living in thailand. :) peace 

Just now, KiaSurean said:

Hi bkk6060, i dont zee the need to nick pick and dont see the need to provide contact details openly and even if provided, that person may or may not do it for the next person who approach him / her. The point of the forum is to share useful information among us expats living in thailand. :) peace 

Haha.

Really?

What useful info has been shared????

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Yes, ok. 

Had you tried to open one at Krungsri?

I claim it's possible to open one at most Krungsri branches, with a tourist visa and a rental contract of at least six months. Why? I suggested this several times on Thaivisa already, and did never have anybody say that it didn't work for them, by now there should be at least one.

And before anybody starts running around: The branches have phone numbers, just call them and ask (Their english is limited, so have somebody call who can speak Thai)

In case anybody here wants to open a bank account at Krungsri and is totally alone in Thailand and doesn't have anybody who can make the call: Send me a PM, tell me which branch, i will do the call for you ;)

Before i opened my account at Krungsri, i tried to open one at Bangkok Bank, because they are the only bank which states on their website that it's possible to open a bank account with a tourist Visa. The branches don't seem to know about this. After contacting several branches about this i got a call back from their Headoffice, and the woman who called me claimed that it's possible to open a bank account if i visit her in the head office in Silom, but at this time i had the account at Krungsri already.

there was a related thread in the last 30-45 days.  a person reported opening a bank account at bangkok bank's siam paragon branch with just a passport (and tourist visa).  the person who reported opening the account didn't state the branch initially but did so after i suggested naming the branch for the benefit of others.

10 hours ago, jackdd said:

Before i opened my account at Krungsri, i tried to open one at Bangkok Bank, because they are the only bank which states on their website that it's possible to open a bank account with a tourist Visa. The branches don't seem to know about this. After contacting several branches about this i got a call back from their Headoffice, and the woman who called me claimed that it's possible to open a bank account if i visit her in the head office in Silom, but at this time i had the account at Krungsri already.

i opened my account at bangkok bank's silom branch in feb 2016 (with tourist visa). 

Edited by buick