Opening a Thai bank account in Bangkok

likeke

I am moving back to Bangkok in March, and need a bank account so I can transfer 100,000 baht to it in case I need serious medical treatment. I am an American and my US-based bank is Chase. Transfering money from different banks in American is easy but never did internationally. Has anyone ever done this? What bank would you recommend for this? What's involved?

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

Since you are in the US I would suggest Bangkok Bank. They have a branch in NY and make it really easy to transfer via that branch from your US account.

Yes, this is my primary way to bring funds over from the US.  Check out this web page for full details:

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUSA/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUSA.aspx

Come to Thailand , open an account at Bangkok Bank say at Central Chang Watena. You can then make online tranfers from your Chase Bank to Bangkok Bank  using their Routing Number of Bangkok Bank in new york.  Then can withdraw funds using your Bangkok Bank ATM card.

I am sure you are planning to bring money for other expenses, so why not bring the extra cash with you. Bringing the cash will save you the transfer fees. You have to have an account before you can transfer any funds. Once you open an account you can then make future transfers.  Bangkok Bank would be my first choice, due to there lower transfer fees thru their NY branch. All other Thai banks will require "Swift" transfers which will have higher fees unless Chase Bank does free international transfers, which I doubt. 

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 3:39 PM, Tony125 said:

Come to Thailand , open an account at Bangkok Bank say at Central Chang Watena. You can then make online tranfers from your Chase Bank to Bangkok Bank  using their Routing Number of Bangkok Bank in new york.  Then can withdraw funds using your Bangkok Bank ATM card.

Unless you know that he is moving to CW, why suggest that he opens an account so far out of the city and such a pain in  the arse to get to at most times of the day?  He should open an account in the area in which he is going to live.

4 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Unless you know that he is moving to CW, why suggest that he opens an account so far out of the city and such a pain in  the arse to get to at most times of the day?  He should open an account in the area in which he is going to live.

I mentioned CW as it is very easy to open an account there. Once he has opened an account he can access his money from anywhere in Thailand at either a Bangkok Bank ATM or even other banks ATM for a 20 baht fee

27 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

I mentioned CW as it is very easy to open an account there. Once he has opened an account he can access his money from anywhere in Thailand at either a Bangkok Bank ATM or even other banks ATM for a 20 baht fee

I have a Bangkok Bank account with the branch in Surin. When I am in Bankok and use their ATM, there is a charge also. I was told that free transactions only applied within the region your account was opened in.

On 1/28/2018 at 3:39 PM, tweedledee2 said:

I have a Bangkok Bank account with the branch in Surin. When I am in Bankok and use their ATM, there is a charge also. I was told that free transactions only applied within the region your account was opened in.

correct.  All transactions (even with the same bank) outside the province incur a charge from 15-30 baht depending on online/OTC etc

On 28/01/2018 at 4:09 PM, tweedledee2 said:

If the 50 cent charge is a problem there are branches all over Bangkok.  Go inside and get your money.

1 hour ago, Argus Tuft said:

correct.  All transactions (even with the same bank) outside the province incur a charge from 15-30 baht depending on online/OTC etc

Unless you have a debit card without these charges (i don't know if Bangkok Bank offers one)

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

Unless you have a debit card without these charges (i don't know if Bangkok Bank offers one)

Interesting - have not heard of this at all.  I am talking about local Thai bank accounts.  All of these are restricted to their home province and incur charges for both deposits and withdrawals whether OTC or through an ATM, or online/mobile - if done outside the province

Just now, Argus Tuft said:

Interesting - have not heard of this at all.  I am talking about local Thai bank accounts.  All of these are restricted to their home province and incur charges for both deposits and withdrawals whether OTC or through an ATM, or online/mobile - if done outside the province

I have a Bank account and a "All ATM free" debit card at Krungsri and can withdraw money at any ATM in Thailand for free (For depositing in another province i have to pay a fee)

My GF has a Bank account and the default debit card at TMB, also free at every ATM in Thailand (Don't know about depositing)

7 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I have a Bank account and a "All ATM free" debit card at Krungsri and can withdraw money at any ATM in Thailand for free (For depositing in another province i have to pay a fee)

My GF has a Bank account and the default debit card at TMB, also free at every ATM in Thailand (Don't know about depositing)

Great to know jackdd - thanks for this info!!

5 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

If the 50 cent charge is a problem there are branches all over Bangkok.  Go inside and get your money.

Never said it was, I was just stating that not all Bangkok Bank ATM withdrawals are free.  Going to a Bangkok Bank branch and making an OTC withdrawal using your ATM card is limited. It has been my experience in the past is that you need to present your account book for transactions. I attempted to use an ATM at a branch and it was out of service. I needed 5000 baht and staff inside bank tod me the maximum OTC was 500 baht using ATM card without the passbook. 

Hi all, after reading through the post so far, seems like it is pretty straight forward to open a bank account with a Thai bank? i just moved to BKK on a Non-Immigrant 'O' visa and several banks that i had enquired with all requires a work visa or to be registered under spouse's " tha-bien-baan" or something like that to open an account. So i am still unable to open an account here.....as my spouse's hometown is a good 4hrz drive away. Are there other ways to go about it? Thank you in advance for the advice. Newbie here

1 minute ago, KiaSurean said:

Hi all, after reading through the post so far, seems like it is pretty straight forward to open a bank account with a Thai bank? i just moved to BKK on a Non-Immigrant 'O' visa and several banks that i had enquired with all requires a work visa or to be registered under spouse's " tha-bien-baan" or something like that to open an account. So i am still unable to open an account here.....as my spouse's hometown is a good 4hrz drive away. Are there other ways to go about it? Thank you in advance for the advice. Newbie here

Welcome!

It is not SO straight forward to open an account in Bangkok/Thailand - different branches of different banks will have their own requirements when opening an account for a foreigner.

It usually requires some shopping around of various branches to get an account opened without a work permit - but it is not impossible.

Ask to speak to a manager, take a local with you who has an account at the same bank/branch (or even a long time foreigner friend) and have a good story as to why you want to open an account if you don't yet have a work permit (such as you are planning to do business here in the near future or are here frequently)

Giving your area/location will help - and do search previous topics on this in the forum.

Good luck

Just now, KiaSurean said:

Thanks for the advice Argus, I'm at the Onut / Bangna area. I went to several banks in Secon Sq last time without success so will shop around more since the banks in Thailand have different operating procedures it seems. 

Hopefully you will get more recommendations now that you have given your location.
But it might be a good idea to post a new topic "Opening a bank account in Bangkok in 2018" in this Bangkok forum section to ask the question also so your query doesn't get lost or marked as off topic

I will also try to find out from friends who are local in the area as to the best options (my own bank accounts were opened in Bangkok years ago, but I know your area well and expats living there may be able to help)

Just now, Argus Tuft said:

Hopefully you will get more recommendations now that you have given your location.
But it might be a good idea to post a new topic "Opening a bank account in Bangkok in 2018" in this Bangkok forum section to ask the question also so your query doesn't get lost or marked as off topic

I will also try to find out from friends who are local in the area as to the best options (my own bank accounts were opened in Bangkok years ago, but I know your area well and expats living there may be able to help)

This topic has several threads recently.  Mostly with untrue comments about how they are staying in a hotel and opened an account on a tourist visa.  Uhuh, sure you did.  

Yes, good luck on it.  Work permit and a local address are good to go.

The rest of the options are minimal.

PS: if you go to an agency most can facilitate this for you for a fee. Could beat walking around for several days.  I have no idea of the cost.

Rest of the options minimal but possible.  See my previous post, not the one you quote.

To be honest, I opened my first two bank accounts here on a visa exemption (not a tourist visa)

I was spending a lot of time in Thailand, but working in nearby countries - Thailand was one of my bases, although I was not working here, I did spend a lot of time here in between work in nearby countries

It really does depend on the bank staff on the day, and that is why I suggested that one should be prepared to shop around

My situation is unusual, but it does point to being able to open an account without being just a tourist