Guangzhou (CAN) Airport

dddave

I'm flying to the US in April on China Southern.  I'll have a 9 hour layover in Guangzhou.  Are transit passengers allowed to leave the airport?  Are there any decent facilities there or should I load my laptop with a TV series and binge-watch?

What type of electrical outlets are used there?

Edited by dddave

There is a 72 hour "Transit without visa" available to citizens of about 50 countries including most from the west. The metro takes about 45 mins to reach downtown. I think 9 hours would make it worthwhile to get away from the airport.

In China there are a variety of plug types in use but I think US is the most common.

CAN airport is clean and efficient but as generic and boring as it gets. If you have a chance, go to downtown via MRT and sip a COPA on the pleasant and green European enclave river-island called SHAMIAN (google for it, easy accessible by MRT)

20 hours ago, thedemon said:

In China there are a variety of plug types in use but I think US is the most common.

not quite true, the US plug is relatively rare. They usually use the German/Dutch dual-plug that is being used in Indonesia too, for example, or another 3-pin-flat-plug that I saw nowhere else.

https://www.travelchinacheaper.com/which-plug-converter-do-i-need-for-china

check this out for info about the  airport. it says you can exit on transit visa if you have a booked seat, presumably meaning you are ticketed the whole way through from Thailand. However some of these airlines don't ticket you the whole way and require you to collect your bags and check in again - I experienced this with C Southern on the Shanghai - BKK route via Kunming - pain in the a**.