What happens if the traveller lacks the required yellow fever vaccination certificate?

I couldn't find an answer anywhere for this question: what happens if someone coming from a country that requires a yellow fever shot doesn't have the proper vaccination certificate when arriving at Suvarnabhumi?

A relative from Brazil will come visit me here and right now the vaccine is pretty much impossible to find, the media set the population on panic and every place that provides it needs previous scheduling (and there are no spots left for the next 2 months), his trip is in about a month.

Assuming that he would not have the certificate and is able to board, what would happen at the airport here? Would they just give him a shot and allow him in?

I traveled from Brazil to Thailand a few times ( lived in Brazil for 20 years ) and don’t believe it will be an issue.

In my case i was refused entry on a flight from São Paulo to Johannesburg because my yellow fever certificate had expired ( 11 years ).

The only other place I traveled to where they requested to see my YF certificate was Angola.

I certainly was never asked to show my YF certificate when checking in from São Paulo to Bangkok ( via Dubai ). The last time i made this trip was 2 years ago.

I do know that if you have the YF injection you have to wait 10 days before traveling.

There is a TVF member called Isac Szwarc Brasil who is Brazilian, he could give you some more up to date information if you pm him.

interesting.  way back in 2004 on my first trip from the USA to Thailand, I checked into the required vaccination stuff and actually rounded up my yellow vaccination record, D/T, Tetanus, Hep A,B, as I recall and one or two others I had on there.  The subject never came up at any time.  I guess shot records are requested by somebody somewhere at some point

4 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I traveled from Brazil to Thailand a few times ( lived in Brazil for 20 years ) and don’t believe it will be an issue.

In my case i was refused entry on a flight from São Paulo to Johannesburg because my yellow fever certificate had expired ( 11 years ).

The only other place I traveled to where they requested to see my YF certificate was Angola.

I certainly was never asked to show my YF certificate when checking in from São Paulo to Bangkok ( via Dubai ). The last time i made this trip was 2 years ago.

I do know that if you have the YF injection you have to wait 10 days before traveling.

There is a TVF member called Isac Szwarc Brasil who is Brazilian, he could give you some more up to date information if you pm him.

I think there is reason for concern, because of the very well publicized outbreak in the region bordering Sao Paulo. I could imagine this leading the authorities to enforce strict observation of the official regulations for those traveling from there. Under the circumstances, I would be nervous relying on past experience. I suggest checking with the airline on what they know of recent enforcement.

• Like 2

It’s not a problem at all. If traveling without a currently valid yellow fever book, upon landing and getting off the plane, simolybgonto the medical center which is in the way to the immigration and the place whereby you present your documents, and your passport, tell them you don’t have a current YF cert and they will take you inside and give you the injection and issue you with a new YF book valid for 10 years. Cost last time I looked was around 500 baht. Easy, painless and worry free to travel here without the YF document.

Edited by Falcon
Spelling
  • Like 1

I think there is reason for concern, because of the very well publicized outbreak in the region bordering Sao Paulo. I could imagine this leading the authorities to enforce strict observation of the official regulations for those traveling from there. Under the circumstances, I would be nervous relying on past experience. I suggest checking with the airline on what they know of recent enforcement.

Good advice from Tim ( as always ).

OP: ask your friend to contact the airline for advice, and you could make contact with Swampy if you wanted.

Unless I am mistaken, he will not be allowed into Thailand, unless he has the shot and the yellow YF Vax card with stamp to prove it.  

The good news is that both the World Health Organization (WHO) and also the CDC now consider one shot of YF Vaccine (Yellow Fever Vaccine) to be good for life.

The ten year booster is no longer required. 

Edited by Catoni
correction
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Falcon said:

It’s not a problem at all. If traveling without a currently valid yellow fever book, upon landing and getting off the plane, simolybgonto the medical center which is in the way to the immigration and the place whereby you present your documents, and your passport, tell them you don’t have a current YF cert and they will take you inside and give you the injection and issue you with a new YF book valid for 10 years. Cost last time I looked was around 500 baht. Easy, painless and worry free to travel here without the YF document.

In the last few years.... both the World Health Organization (WHO) and also the CDC now consider one shot of YF Vaccine (Yellow Fever Vaccine) to be good for life.   As long as you have your YF certificate showing you have been vaccinated, it is current, no matter how many years ago you got the YF vaccination shot. Nothing even needs to be modified in the certificate.

http://www.who.int/ith/updates/20160727/en/

New yellow fever vaccination requirements for travellers

Amendment to the period of validity of the international certificate of vaccination against yellow fever, which is now extended to the life of the person vaccinated

27 July 2016

In May 2014, The World Health Assembly adopted an amendment to Annex 7 of the International Health Regulations (2005) (IHR), which stipulates that the period of protection afforded by yellow fever vaccination, and the term of validity of the certificate will change from 10 years to the duration of the life of the person vaccinated. On 11 July 2016, the amended IHR Annex 7 entered into force and is legally binding upon all IHR States Parties. The revised Third Edition of the IHR includes this amended text.

Thus, from 11 July 2016 the certificate of vaccination against yellow fever is valid for the life of the person vaccinated. This lifetime validity applies automatically to all existing and new certificates, beginning 10 days after the date of vaccination. Accordingly, as of 11 July 2016, revaccination or a booster dose of yellow fever vaccine will not be required for international travellers as a condition of entry into a State Party, regardless of the date that their international certificate of vaccination was initially issued.

Yellow fever is the only disease specified in the IHR for which countries may require proof of vaccination from travellers as a condition of entry under certain circumstances. Likewise, countries may take certain measures if an arriving traveller is not in possession of such a certificate.

Currently, valid IHR international certificates of vaccination are now automatically valid for life of the traveller indicated. Nothing needs to be modified in the certificate; indeed under the IHR, any changes, deletions, erasures or additions may cause a certificate to be rendered invalid.

For new certificates, WHO encourages countries to use words that clearly and unambiguously indicate that the validity of the certificate is for the life of the person vaccinated. In this context, in order to avoid potential confusion and interruption of international travel, WHO suggests using the same terminology in the certificate as adopted in the revised text of Annex 7, which clearly states that the certificates are valid for life. 

In accordance with the IHR requirement that these certificates be completed in English or French (and may also be completed in another language in addition to English or French), the terminology used in the revised Annex 7 is as follows:

English: “life of person vaccinated”

French: “vie entière du sujet vacciné”

WHO will continue to report on the list of countries that have yellow fever transmission and those with yellow fever vaccination requirements for travellers (please see below for a link to the WHO website).

Edited by Catoni
addition
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I came into Swampy from Sao Paulo (via Abu Dhabi) 3 years ago. I was blssfully ignorant about need for yellow fever jab until just now.. No questions anywhere

1 hour ago, bahtboy said:

This is true, so if your relative has had a vaccination at some time in the past and has retained the certificate, he/she should not require another certificate on entry to Thailand. However, it would be a good idea to search on the web (edit: as I was typing this post the above was being posted )for the new medical requirements and print them off because the immigration officer likely won't be up to date. I used to live in The Gambia and have an old vaccination certificate. Last April when I travelled to The Gambia and back to Thailand I had the new requirements printed out just in case. However, I flew back to Bangkok via Spain and Finland and put my embarkation point as Helsinki on my arrival card. I was never asked about yellow fever. Suggest if your relative is flying via a non yellow fever country and changing airlines there that they do similar to me.

Probably good advice. A warning - Egypt takes this very seriously. If you arrive from a YF listed country (such as Sudan) without a certificate, it is four days in quarantine.

• Like 2

Hello

I can give you a precise idea about this as e had to face the problem.. We live in Thailand and my son lives in Argentina..

Last year he came with his argentinian girl friend.. She had the YF certificate, went through the procedure without any problem.. Having a european passport my son cleared immigration and custom on a separate lane than her without being checked

Another guy made the mistake of going through immigration etc.. with his girl friend.. He did not have the YF certificate.. They didn t allow him going out.. They gave him the shot and he had to stay 48 hours in the custom space of the airport before being allowed to enter Thailand.. she had the YF certificate and could go out. had to wait 2 days till he came out and they lost the connecting flights they had for Northern Thailand..

My son decided then to do it, not to face any problem.. Unfortunately it was impossible to find the medicine in Argentina (he does not live in B Aires). Last may he took a flight to B Aires and then had his ticket B Aires Bangkok via Dubai with Emirates.. They checked for YF in B Aires and didn t admit him on the flight (he was not the only one in the same flight having the same problem)

He lost his ticket... The guy in the airport advised him to do the shot in B Aires which he made the following day and purchased a ticket to Paris as the guy advised him to stay for 3 days in Paris before taking a flight to Bangkok as apparently the records of travellers disappear from the computers after 3 days.. He from Paris purchased a ticket to BGK and enter without being even checked, as he was coming from Paris with an european passport.. COST.. ticket both ways B Aires Bangkok with Emirates lost..

Have a nice afternoon

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Catoni said:

Accordingly, as of 11 July 2016, revaccination or a booster dose of yellow fever vaccine will not be required for international travellers as a condition of entry into a State Party, regardless of the date that their international certificate of vaccination was initially issued

Based on this and the fact that Thailand are a member state of WHO, then there should no problem entering Thailand using the 11 year old certificate, remembering that they must go to the health control counter for clearance prior to proceeding to immigration.

Once I had mine in m checked bag by mistake, coming in from Africa - had to get a Yellow Fever shot at Swampy.  The Doc made a big deal out of showing me that the vaccine was a gift from USAID and the American Embassy  -  still had to pay for it - think it was 390baht.

The yellow fever vaccination is fortunately a non-issue for the vast majority of travelers to Thailand and Asia in general. Since there are no direct flights from affected areas in Africa and South America to Thailand anyway (as far as I'm aware) it should be easy enough for a western or Asian traveler just to transit somewhere en-route, which doesn't require such a certificate and then enter Thailand a few days later and they won't be asked for anything. African travelers from certain countries may however be rounded up by Thai immigration and asked for a certificate while standing in line at immigration (I saw this happen once a few years ago) irrespective of where they're arriving from.

Being forced to be administered a medicine (yes vaccines are medicines) as a condition of entering a country I find to be a fundamental violation of human rights. What happens if the traveler has a conscientious objection to vaccination? What happens if a traveler happens to have a medical condition that makes vaccination contraindicated? Will a doctor's note (medical exemption) be accepted in lieu of having this vaccination administered? Incidentally, the CDC has this to say on the matter: https://www.cdc.gov/travel-training/local/PreTravelConsultationandBestPractices/page24195.html

The Travel Doctor, an Australian website says this:

http://www.thetraveldoctor.com.au/yellow-fever-exemption/

But I wonder if immigration authorities accept such medical waivers unconditionally or not.

Incidentally, vaccinating against yellow fever, just like any vaccine is not without it's risks, one must always consider the risk/benefit ratio and serious adverse reactions have occurred. In such cases you are on your own - you can't sue the vaccine manufacturer, the WHO or the government that requires you to receive this shot.

Fortunately no other vaccines are required to be allowed entry into Thailand (and other SE Asian countries) although Australia asks for a polio vaccination certificate for travelers who have spent more than 28 days in certain countries (such as Pakistan) prior to applying for a visa or to enter Australia. Otherwise, visa processing may be delayed. Interestingly, Australia does not require proof of yellow fever vaccination to enter the country, while Thailand only cares about yellow fever and not polio, despite there being numerous daily direct flights into Bangkok from Pakistan, Iran and other countries where polio is said to be endemic.

However, there is a very good chance that in the near future (next 10-20 years?), every single traveler worldwide will be required to be up-to-date on all sorts of vaccinations and produce such proof to be allowed to board a plane (domestic and international) and to enter another country. However, by that time it will be likely that electronic medical databases will become standard (which countries like Australia are already implementing) allowing all sorts of stakeholders (such as governments, airlines, other transportation operators, immigration authorities, medical authorities etc.) to access a traveler's medical records electronically should they wish to do so.

I don't wish to delve further into this topic other than to say - that is a very scary thought indeed and yes, this is being planned.

3 hours ago, jimster said:

However, there is a very good chance that in the near future (next 10-20 years?), every single traveler worldwide will be required to be up-to-date on all sorts of vaccinations

Well, historically, the number of required vaccinations has steadily gone down over the last 50 years. I cannot remember the exact requirements but, as I recall, things like cholera shots were required (not just recommended as was true later) about 40 years ago to visit Thailand.

On 22/01/2018 at 1:46 PM, domdom said:

He did not have the YF certificate.. They didn t allow him going out.. They gave him the shot and he had to stay 48 hours in the custom space of the airport before being allowed to enter Thailand..

That's exactly the answer I was looking for. Thanks.

I think many members don't know that people with passports from certain countries (most of Africa and South America) MUST present the vaccination certificate, regardless where they've been in the past year. 

Anyway, he managed to get one vaccine by presenting his travel ticket. A scheduled trip that requires the vaccine gives you priority so all good.