The cheapest farang in town!

DDBKK

4 minutes ago, transam said:

My hi-so Thai friends do not walk around covered in gold....But I have seen hi-so farang blokes birds looking like a gold Christmas tree......:saai:

Bit like farang Thai wives that use a pram, instead of carrying the child like almost every non farang Thai wife in the Kingdom does. Not just a pram, a really huge tank of a pram that shouts "I'm really rich to be able to afford this pram tank", as it's then obvious they can only shop in malls, as their huge tank pram wouldn't fit in the aisles of a Thai market, and obviously they have to drive around in a huge farang SUV to carry it in the boot, that is shouting "look at me, I'm really rich as I can afford a huge SUV".

Bah humbug.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The most miserable people I know are those that think they are better/ more clever/ more important because they can spend large. 

I choose not to spend time with them.

One of the most respected people of our time was Mother Teresa, and I doubt she was running around shouting "look at me at how wonderful I am because I spend lots of money".

Back in the late 1980's I spent time in Calcutta, volunteering to work for her. I never met her but the experience changed my life. 

I have found in life the poorest people are often the most generous.

1 minute ago, mick220675 said:

Back in the late 1980's I spent time in Calcutta, volunteering to work for her. I never met her but the experience changed my life. 

I have found in life the poorest people are often the most generous.

I have found in life the poorer people, as long as they have enough to live on and not just survive, are the happiest.

Bhutan is not notable for rich people, but they officially put happiness as the most important thing, not wealth.

http://ophi.org.uk/policy/national-policy/gross-national-happiness-index/

7 hours ago, JaiLai said:

I knew a guy that lived in a shoe, he used to fight with rich kids just to smell the food off their breath.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Eee luxury, sithe we lived in a cardboard box thar knows...

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. Your pa must have liked his tea strong. I know a guy that can get a whole week out of a tea bag.

:smile:

I once accompanied a friend to inspect his rental properties that were located about 5 minutes away on the commuter railway. He walked there and back ( half hour each way ) to save the few cents it cost on the train. 

I think though, he must have paid more on shoes than he saved on train fares.

Still, I would prefer him to the "friend" I once knew who complained because I took the bus rather than a taxi at my expense ( I had to pay his bus fare as well ). He even complained that his girlfriend had paid for sausages to feed me while I was staying overnight with them ( I would have paid for them myself if I'd known that sausages would put them in the poor house ).

I have a Brother who now drives Range Rovers, an Aston Martin and flies helicopters for a hobby, who charged me £200/ week to stay in his house when we moved back to Yorkshire and we're waiting to move into our house for a couple of weeks.

Adding insult to injury, I'd lent him £1,500 for a house deposit, as a youngster, which he never used and got miffed when I asked for it back 3 years later as it was just sitting in his bank account. No interest to me by the way. Also he recently removed my wife from his Facebook friends as he couldn't stand to see the life we are now living in Thailand.

Happily his ex-wife took him to the cleaners for half of everything not long ago.

Going one better on the mean stakes, another Brother charged his own parents for electrical work on the house he was still living in, not only the materials but labour also!

Suffice to say I miss none of them, except my lovely Sister and her family.

Edited by Tofer
+

I know this is maybe not the best of example for this thread. But, what about many people spending HOURS at Starbuckses at malls; often having maybe just a single drink in all that time, while you, going there for a short period of time, cannot get a seat ?! It has happened to me many times (especially at the Starbucks branches at the Siam Paragon).

When you just want to spend maybe an hour maximum, and have some stuff to eat and/or drink while reading a newspaper but you cannot get a seat, that can be annoying. Okay, of course, there are many worse things in life.  Mine is just a rant :) But, seriously, especially some groups of young Thais spend hours there, using the place as a kind of library :)

14 hours ago, Tofer said:

I have a Brother who now drives Range Rovers, an Aston Martin and flies helicopters for a hobby, who charged me £200/ week to stay in his house when we moved back to Yorkshire and we're waiting to move into our house for a couple of weeks.

Adding insult to injury, I'd lent him £1,500 for a house deposit, as a youngster, which he never used and got miffed when I asked for it back 3 years later as it was just sitting in his bank account. No interest to me by the way. Also he recently removed my wife from his Facebook friends as he couldn't stand to see the life we are now living in Thailand.

Happily his ex-wife took him to the cleaners for half of everything not long ago.

Going one better on the mean stakes, another Brother charged his own parents for electrical work on the house he was still living in, not only the materials but labour also!

Suffice to say I miss none of them, except my lovely Sister and her family.

I'll see you on that.

My western partner was a wheelchair user, and her father was a millionaire ( back when it actually meant something- one has to be a billionaire these days to be taken seriously ), and I and his daughter had little money, but he did not as much as offer us an interest free loan. When he retired, he built a cheap house from one of those mass builder companies and wouldn't put in a ramp for her to get into the house which was up steps, so she had to be dragged in with difficulty when she visited him.

When I was at school, I would do jobs during the holidays to earn some money ( not much back then ). My father decided I had to pay rent as I was earning money.

However, I stuck it to him by not working anymore and enjoying myself by having a holiday instead.

I'll see you on that. My western partner was a wheelchair user, and her father was a millionaire ( back when it actually meant something- one has to be a billionaire these days to be taken seriously ), and I and his daughter had little money, but he did not as much as offer us an interest free loan. When he retired, he built a cheap house from one of those mass builder companies and wouldn't put in a ramp for her to get into the house which was up steps, so she had to be dragged in with difficulty when she visited him.

When I was at school, I would do jobs during the holidays to earn some money ( not much back then ). My father decided I had to pay rent as I was earning money.

However, I stuck it to him by not working anymore and enjoying myself by having a holiday instead.

In that it was his money to do as he wished, why would you think that you should be entitled to any of it? And it sounds like you validated his position, and that of your father, of not wanting to lend (interest free - LOL) any money to his daughter and what sounds like a deadbeat partner with your refusal to do any work to earn your own way in life.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Back in the late 1800's there was a woman named Hattie Green, said to be the richest woman in the US at that time.  She was often referred to as "The witch of Wall Street."

She had grown up in poverty but made shrewd real estate investments, mostly in slum and industrial areas and built a huge mansion in Newport, RI on "Millionaires Row"

She was known for being excessively niggardly despite her outward trappings of wealth.  When her son developed a leg infection, she refused to get him medical treatment because doctors were too expensive and he ended-up loosing his leg as a result.

After she died, her son went through her entire fortune in a very few years and died of alcohol abuse.

I read her biography: "The Day They Shook The Plum Tree" many years ago and it gave me a real lesson in the perils of wealth.

Edited by dddave

4 minutes ago, dddave said:

Back in the late 1800's there was a woman named Hattie Green, said to be the richest woman in the US at that time.  She was often referred to as "The witch of Wall Street."

She had grown up in poverty but made shrewd real estate investments, mostly in slum and industrial areas and built a huge mansion in Newport, RI on "Millionaires Row"

She was known for being excessively niggardly despite her outward trappings of wealth.  When her son developed a leg infection, she refused to get him medical treatment because doctors were too expensive and he ended-up loosing his leg as a result.

After she died, her son went through her entire fortune in a very few years and died of alcohol abuse.

I read her biography: "The Day They Shook The Plum Tree" many years ago and it gave me a real lesson in the perils of wealth.

The perils of a "greed mindset"..........:sad: