British Tourist charged with punching tuk tuk driver

geovalin

A 29-year-old British tourist was charged by Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Saturday for allegedly punching a Cambodian tuk tuk driver in the face after an argument over the fare. The incident took place on Thursday at about 4.45pm on Norodom Boulevard near the Independence Monument in Daun Penh district’s Chaktomuk commune.

District police chief Huoth Chanyurann said Ben Frederich Smith was charged with intentional acts of violence and faces from one to three years in prison if convicted. He added that Pheng Sengdara, the 37-year-old victim, was left with injuries to his left eye after the altercation.

Leng Vichetr, a commune police officer, said before the incident, the victim took the suspect from a guesthouse in Chey Chumneah commune and drove him around Central Market and the Riverside area. However, after arriving near the Independence Monument, the suspect decided he wanted to get out and walk around.

read more http://www.khmertimeskh.com/50103496/tourist-charged-with-punching-tuk-tuk-driver/

khmer_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khmer Times 22/01

31 minutes ago, punchjudy said:

the eye injuries might make the tuk tuk driver behave a little better next time too

From past experience in this, the way it often works is this:

How much per hour for sightseeing?

Based on how many hours?

Four hours.

Answer = X.

After half an hour - oooo, I like that market, I think I'll look around, you can go, here's one eighth of X.

Hmmmm!

2 hours ago, punchjudy said:

the eye injuries might make the tuk tuk driver behave a little better next time too

And a spell in a Cambodia prison may teach the British thug that his behaviour doesn't cut any ice there. An eye injury cures soon enough but being a moron lasts forever.

3 hours ago, FunkyDunky58 said:

so, a tourist punches a cab driver and faces jail time while a Pattaya Ladyboy bashed a tourist in the head with a rock and robs him, and gets a 500 baht fine and sent on his/her way? Good to see justice is muted equally in Thailand

Ummmm, except the tourist who punched the tuk tuk driver was in Cambodia!

3 hours ago, FunkyDunky58 said:

so, a tourist punches a cab driver and faces jail time while a Pattaya Ladyboy bashed a tourist in the head with a rock and robs him, and gets a 500 baht fine and sent on his/her way? Good to see justice is muted equally in Thailand

Yes , but I doubt he will end up in prison , Cambodian police can be bribed just like in Thailand. It's just a game really , when they have sucked enough money out of him he is free to go  

3 hours ago, balo said:

Yes , but I doubt he will end up in prison , Cambodian police can be bribed just like in Thailand. It's just a game really , when they have sucked enough money out of him he is free to go  

and then the process starts allover again. 555:cheesy:

I just moved to Siem Reap about a month ago. I can't speak for PP, but the tuk tuk drivers here seem to be a friendly sort and offers reasonable rates. 

I haven't paid more than $2.00 to go anywhere yet, and the one time I made a price agreement with a driver, I honoured it even when I decided to stop and do some shopping just a few blocks up (I could have walked easily). 

Getting violent over a dollar or two? Makes no sense to me. 

On 22/01/2018 at 8:26 PM, thaiguzzi said:

We found the tuk tuk drivers in PP a cut above the Thai version in Thai tourist areas. Friendly, helpful and reasonable set prices.

On 22/01/2018 at 8:14 AM, simoh1490 said:

One to three in the Phnom Phen lock-up, cool, that'll teach you how to behave.

Spend a while here in PP and you'll soon learn that many unmetered tuk tuk drivers are greedy, lazy scum. I've lived here for 4 years and have been threatened, extorted and insulted (when you refuse a ride) on an almost daily basis - if you understand some Khmer you'll soon realise behind the smiles what a***oles they can be. Thankfully there are many 'PassApp' tuks tuks now who are metered and fair - the unmetered tuk tuks are usually charging at least double the going rate. I advise anyone who comes here to download 'PassApp' to their phone and use them.