Top 20 most dangerous countries in the world for tourists-THAILAND

Dan747

Dangerous for what ?...driving on the roads or getting busted by a lady boy in Pattaya ?!!...or perhaps getting bitten by a Soi dog  ?...maybe they meant dangerous if you go hanky panky 5 times a week without using a condom ?!!!:wink:...because if not, no big deal and Thailand does not seem any worse then another country.

People's views are always a little contradictory about these sorts of things. One minute it is I live here and 'it is safer than back home'. The next minute it turns into a paranoia that Thai are jungle people and I don't want to complain about my neighbour, toot my horn or stop to help people in case they turn around and shoot me. What was back home for many people? Iraq?

Regarding the deep South red zone, I would say the 'do not travel' warnings are justified. However, if have the opportunity to go there with people who can look after you I would recommend it. It is quite a pretty place and the people who aren't fanatics are amazingly warm (even by Thai standards). Plus not many dogs for all those who are scared of the dogs in more travelled areas of the country. 

Edited by wildewillie89

Just to note this quote from the World Economic Forum The Travel & Tourism
Competitiveness Report 2017
 that was referenced in the reference on Post #1:

"These results echo World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC) research, which forecasts that between 2016 and 2026, the 10 fastest growing destinations for leisure-travel spending will be India, followed by Angola, Uganda, Brunei, Thailand, China, Myanmar, Oman, Mozambique and Vietnam." Page 20

-- so things can't be all that bad.

They could do with some proof reading unless I am misreading -

The country’s southern provinces - Songkhla, Yala, Narathiwat and Pattaya - have gotten a bad reputation for security in the country in the last thirteen years. Pattaya has particularly suffered a spate of muggings by motorcycle operators, and there have been incidences of mugging of tourists by gangs in the area, mostly made up of young boys. More than 6,500 deaths have unfortunately occurred because of violence, and there is a martial law in the region.

Presumably the "Pattaya" as a southern province should be Pattani?

Or maybe a Freudian slip...............

Edited by topt