Bangkok Air Pollution

JimShorts

Wednesday was a relatively good air quality day in BKK, and if the forecast holds, the rest of the week and into the weekend should be OK too....

I notice the wind speeds in the weather forecasts are generally showing more of a breeze than the past few weeks. Dunno if the improving conditions are mainly related to that, or any result of the government's efforts to supposedly crack down on polluting factories and such....

Tonight as of 10 pm. most BKK sensors are showing yellow / moderate AQ readings.

Forecast.png.8f3080430f7dfd8b637851a0a84d9841.png

• Like 1

Amount of mask wearing parents picking kids up from kindergarten was down to 1 from a high of about 15 for last Wednesday, I didn’t do a proper survey as I don't have a work permit.

I did however feel the need to wear my mask whilst crossing the road bridge, first time in 6 months so I don't understand how they say the air was cleaner today.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

6 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Wednesday was a relatively good air quality day in BKK, and if the forecast holds, the rest of the week and into the weekend should be OK too....

I notice the wind speeds in the weather forecasts are generally showing more of a breeze than the past few weeks. Dunno if the improving conditions are mainly related to that, or any result of the government's efforts to supposedly crack down on polluting factories and such....

Tonight as of 10 pm. most BKK sensors are showing yellow / moderate AQ readings.

I am reading this same like you.  Nice breeze from So Ocean makes BKK air good.  Nighttime pollution levels are so low right now that it is difficult to be certain how much burning is happening.

I'm out of my pay-grade here, but my guess is little burning in BKK.  I looked North of BKK where inversion still exists and see no evidence of high nighttime PM, NO2, or SO2 - and wind shows near zero last night.

Capture.JPG

18 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

We were having a technical discussion about the accuracy of our monitors. Nothing to do with being 'in denial'.

FWIIW, a few comments.  I've been thinking about buying a Sndway unit because of size/portability, and humidity measurement. I haven't purchased yet because I'm hoping for valid readings reports like yours.  I saw good reports on Vson WP 6912 several months ago, and when a friend bought the unit, it was not worth the Farang money (no english, readings incorrect, etc.).

If we come to know more about accuracy and humidity adjustment in meters, great.  If not, no worries for me.

9 hours ago, fishism said:

I did however feel the need to wear my mask whilst crossing the road bridge, first time in 6 months so I don't understand how they say the air was cleaner today.

According to the various monitoring points for BKK, the outside air today IS pretty good and not at unhealthy levels as it has been the past month.

Green is good. Yellow is OK... Orange and Red are varying levels of unhealthy. Today is mostly yellow thus far.

1415735947_2019-02-0711_13_39.jpg.d93e8f44f18ddbea6e1140b89bd5ba2b.jpg

3 hours ago, DaveInSukhumvit said:

FWIIW, a few comments.  I've been thinking about buying a Sndway unit because of size/portability, and humidity measurement. I haven't purchased yet because I'm hoping for valid readings reports like yours.  I saw good reports on Vson WP 6912 several months ago, and when a friend bought the unit, it was not worth the Farang money (no english, readings incorrect, etc.).

If we come to know more about accuracy and humidity adjustment in meters, great.  If not, no worries for me.

The Sndway 825 is a good, accurate, portable PM2.5 sensor available at a reasonable price. I don't know of any better consumer choice in the value-performance-price spectrum for standalone sensors.

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The Sndway 825 is a good, accurate, portable PM2.5 sensor available at a reasonable price. I don't know of any better consumer choice in the value-performance-price spectrum for standalone sensors.

I think you probably mean the Sndway A25. Yes, that's the one I bought from Lazada and works very well for PM2.5 and humidity. However, its temperature gauge does not work at all, which is fine that's not what I bought it for. I think it's full model number is A25M, and being sold for about 1500 Baht.

36 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Green is good. Yellow is OK... Orange and Red are varying levels of unhealthy. Today is mostly yellow thus far.

And it is Chinese New Year so almost all business owned by them are closed until next week.  Makes a big difference in Bangkok population and factory activity (although much less than 30-40 years ago when Bangkok looked, and almost was, deserted).  

1 hour ago, keemapoot said:

I think you probably mean the Sndway A25. Yes, that's the one I bought from Lazada and works very well for PM2.5 and humidity. However, its temperature gauge does not work at all, which is fine that's not what I bought it for. I think it's full model number is A25M, and being sold for about 1500 Baht.

Nope, the one I'm referring to is the Sndway SW-825... Got one on the desk here in front of me with the model number showing on the front. Bought directly from the Sndway store on AliExpress.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Air-Quality-Monitor-Mini-Laser-PM2-5-Monitor-Wall-mounted-Inovafitness-PM2-5-Detector-Gas-monitor/32826759103.html

1427960468_2019-02-0712_28_22.jpg.ac5f2c0ac24fa25e701babbd3f242df1.jpg

BTW, I did notice that the temperature readings on my units also are often off/wrong, though that's irrelevant to me. One reason might be the units have an internal rechargeable battery, and that seems to generate some heat/warmth when being charged, which usually leads to my units showing a higher temperature than the actual temperature in the room.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

19 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Nope, the one I'm referring to is the Sndway SW-825... Got one on the desk here in front of me with the model number showing on the front. Bought directly from the Sndway store on AliExpress.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Air-Quality-Monitor-Mini-Laser-PM2-5-Monitor-Wall-mounted-Inovafitness-PM2-5-Detector-Gas-monitor/32826759103.html

1427960468_2019-02-0712_28_22.jpg.ac5f2c0ac24fa25e701babbd3f242df1.jpg

BTW, I did notice that the temperature readings on my units also are often off/wrong, though that's irrelevant to me. One reason might be the units have an internal rechargeable battery, and that seems to generate some heat/warmth when being charged, which usually leads to my units showing a higher temperature than the actual temperature in the room.

Yeah, that looks like the same unit as mine. Maybe buying directly from AliExpress they number the models differently. Yes, that thermometer was really off. Last weekend it was quite cold in my mountain home early in the morning, (actually it was 18 degrees C.), but the unit showed 29 degrees, so clearly not working.

6 hours ago, keemapoot said:

The A25M is made by UNI-T. Same kind of device, just different manufacture. The display is different and slightly smaller battery.

Uni-Trend-Tech-A25M_C118813.pdf

Edited by ExpatOilWorker

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

The A25M is made by UNI-T. Same kind of device, just different manufacture. The display is different and slightly smaller battery.

Uni-Trend-Tech-A25M_C118813.pdf

Thanks... I've never seen that particular unit before...

But I don't think I'd mistake it for the Sndway SW-825.

They look pretty different to me....

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thanks... I've never seen that particular unit before...

But I don't think I'd mistake it for the Sndway SW-825.

They look pretty different to me....

Actually you are exactly right. I ordered and received the SW-825 from Lazada and am looking at it right now. However, when I first responded on this thread I simply opened up my past order page on Lazada, and when I clicked it, it automatically went to the new A25M. So, obviously, they are no longer selling the SW-825 on Lazada, as it has been replaced by the A25M. 

That explains the mix-up.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Just checked Amazon (I'm in the US currently), "Currently unavailable".

I guess I'll wait till I'm back in Thailand, unless you or anyone else has a recommendation of a comparable model that Amazon carries.

Ideally, I'd like one that could hopefully fit in a pocket, that has a rechargeable battery.

Was interested in testing my US neighborhood, but I may have to skip that.

Not important though, just general curiosity.

Edited by JimmyJ

51 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

19 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Just checked Amazon (I'm in the US currently), "Currently unavailable".

I guess I'll wait till I'm back in Thailand, unless you or anyone else has a recommendation of a comparable model that Amazon carries.

Ideally, I'd like one that could hopefully fit in a pocket, that has a rechargeable battery.

Was interested in testing my US neighborhood, but I may have to skip that.

Not important though, just general curiosity.

Found it on ebay for $65 USD including shipping.

Cheaper at aliexpress - $48 - but I don't know how much the shipping charge would be.

So undecided if I wait or not.

Thanks for the product recommendation.

Edited by JimmyJ

13 hours ago, keemapoot said:

Actually you are exactly right. I ordered and received the SW-825 from Lazada and am looking at it right now. However, when I first responded on this thread I simply opened up my past order page on Lazada, and when I clicked it, it automatically went to the new A25M. So, obviously, they are no longer selling the SW-825 on Lazada, as it has been replaced by the A25M. 

That explains the mix-up.

The A25M could of course be a new and improved version of the tried and tested SW-825, but knowing the Chinese is is more likely a cheaper knock off so they can make a few more cents.

One particular Chinese vendor on Lazada advertise for the Sndway but ship the Uni-T model.

Imagine you order the latest Volvo and after a couple of months wait the dealership deliver a Geely!

Customer service Chinese style.

Edited by ExpatOilWorker

5 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Found it on ebay for $65 USD including shipping.

Cheaper at aliexpress - $48 - but I don't know how much the shipping charge would be.

So undecided if I wait or not.

AliExpress small package to Thailand is usually either free shipping or a very small charge. Right now when I look on the Sndway store site, it's showing free shipping to Thailand. (Same free shipping to the U.S., according to their site, but looks like a considerably longer delivery time, not surprisingly.) My two units, ordered months apart from them, both arrived to TH in less than two weeks from date of order.

408569419_2019-02-0813_46_26.jpg.3a0d71a6ad32e529c8bf4e24dadc9438.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

The A25M could of course be a new and improved version of the tried and tested SW-825, but knowing the Chinese is is more likely a cheaper knock off so they can make a few more cents.

One particular Chinese vendor on Lazada advertise for the Sndway but ship the Uni-T model.

Imagine you order the latest Volvo and after a couple of months wait the dealership deliver a Geely!

Customer service Chinese style.

AFAIK, it's a totally different manufacturer and a totally unrelated unit -- although they're both PM2.5 sensors. From the looks of it, I'd doubt the A25M is a new and improved unit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

AliExpress small package to Thailand is usually either free shipping or a very small charge. Right now when I look on the Sndway store site, it's showing free shipping to Thailand. (Same free shipping to the U.S., according to their site, but looks like a considerably longer delivery time, not surprisingly.) My two units, ordered months apart from them, both arrived to TH in less than two weeks from date of order.

Can you order cash on delivery from Aliexpress??

1 minute ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Can you order cash on delivery from Aliexpress??

No they are mail order (from China).  Many of their items are now available on Lazada Thailand and COD might be available from them.

On 2/1/2019 at 3:42 PM, fishism said:

My hatari fan with HEPA filter seems like a failure, I tried putting it on the front and there is zero air flow, keeping inside the box was better.

There was a guy on Thai PBS today demonstrating how to make a DIY air purifier with the same Hatari fan you're using, the cardboard box and a HEPA filter. He cut a square at the back of the box and attached the HEPA filter with duct tape. He also cut a circle at the front and sealed the fan with duct tape. He then closed the box and sealed the whole thing up with duct tape. I might try that method myself.

45 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

There was a guy on Thai PBS today demonstrating how to make a DIY air purifier with the same Hatari fan you're using, the cardboard box and a HEPA filter. He cut a square at the back of the box and attached the HEPA filter with duct tape. He also cut a circle at the front and sealed the fan with duct tape. He then closed the box and sealed the whole thing up with duct tape. I might try that method myself.

The lady in the shop showed something like that but the filter was I little too big for the box so I just placed it on top before cutting another hole in the back. Since then I have just had it placed on the fan as it can face directly upwards, not sure if I posted a photo of that before.

As I now have a meter in the Xiaomi 2s I should be able to assess my 3 DIY setups.

I could really do with them killing / catching mosquitos as it has been a nightmare today.

On 2/7/2019 at 10:48 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thanks for that info.

I've never bought directly from a company outside the US.

Would there be import tariffs if I order direct from aliexpress and have it shipped (free) to the US?

Edited by JimmyJ

4 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Thanks for that info.

I've never bought directly from a company outside the US.

Would there be import tariffs if I order direct from aliexpress and have it shipped (free) to the US?

Dunno about a package coming from China to the U.S., but I'd doubt it.

But I do know, my two packages from China to Thailand drew no duty from Thai customs, FWIW.

• Like 1