Reporting corruption?

Our Condo has a problem, around 20% of the apartments are bought for speculation, now it seems they cant sell it, they ( condo management) and private owner rent them (weekly based) on ex. AIR... In the beginning there were multiple signs, hangouts, it is not allowed to rent the apartments to tourists. All the signs are now removed instead of a handful tourists,  there are 37+ i feel like living in the hotel, no idea who is this new neighbor. We've made a test and tried to check in into the condo via internet app, still working, few apartments still online. We've asked the tourists about the process. The result, is the condo management was properly bribed. To whom we can report those activities?  Someone  were in a similar situation before? 

In the first instance i would seek out the Committee to get their view, feedback on the situation. They may be trying to deal with it, trying to ban it or have a reason why its ongoing. They may have a reason but you wont know if you dont ask.

Before reporting anything i would make sure you try and get a thorough understanding of what is happening, as currently you appear to be ranting a bit and in my experience often when dealing with people's condos, people let emotion cloud clear thinking. Take a step back, deep breath and do a bit of fact finding before reporting to anyone.

Nothing you, or the usually useless committees, can do about it. Your bribery suggestions sound like nonsense, for why would they have to be bribed when in fact they make good money from the rentals ? You can report it to the THA and Munipality. Chances of anything happen equal zero.

On 1/23/2018 at 11:44 AM, Lamkyong said:

apart from the legality of the situation described  /suggested   does it adversely effect you directly ?

Because tourists dont make good neighbors and that effects the quality of life of those who live there.. 

23 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Because tourists dont make good neighbors and that effects the quality of life of those who live there.. 

Are you sure? I'd rather stay next to a tourist who has to look after the place (because it's not his own) than next to some fat old farang who sits there shirtless all day and leaves his doors open so he can cheap out on the electricity for his AC.

Edited by wump

22 minutes ago, wump said:

I'd rather stay next to a tourist who has to look after the place

I'd say that's about 100 percent back to front ! a tourist renting the place short term would be more likely to not care what the neighbors think..or respect the property.... bedroom gymnastics at all hours ,parties, loud music, slamming doors, shouting in the corridors ,screaming kids etc etc

28 minutes ago, wump said:

fat old farang who sits there shirtless all day

are normally rather quiet...you could close your eyes or look the other way when passing their open door :shock1:

or give them a  wave and happy "hello neighbor" greeting as you go by.

10 minutes ago, johng said:

I'd say that's about 100 percent back to front ! a tourist renting the place short term would be more likely to not care what the neighbors think..or respect the property.... bedroom gymnastics at all hours ,parties, loud music, slamming doors, shouting in the corridors ,screaming kids etc etc

are normally rather quiet...you could close your eyes or look the other way when passing their open door :shock1:

or give them a  wave and happy "hello neighbor" greeting as you go by.

I can't tell you how much I hate people who leave their room doors open. It's like "come, look at me ...or say hello". Walking by makes me feel awkward.

Complaint too much and perhaps you become a member of the expat base-jumping club sans parachute. How so many people fall off buildings in Thailand is a wonder to me.

Edited by connda

8 hours ago, wump said:

Are you sure? I'd rather stay next to a tourist who has to look after the place (because it's not his own) than next to some fat old farang who sits there shirtless all day and leaves his doors open so he can cheap out on the electricity for his AC.

Haaaaa!!  You describe the guy in my bldg on first floor next to the entrance, always laying down on balcony in Boxers, shirtless, drunk, looking like a beached whale...........he's an owner but thankfully works in Bangkok so only uses the place on weekends.

10 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Are you sure the building is not listed as a Condotel now??  if so, then it is legal for them to have short term leases.

Is Condotel just not a made up word? I am not sure there is any such thing in Thailand. Certainly you have mixed use schemes with Condominiums and hotels incorporated, such as Eight Thonglor but these are developed like that at the outset and have designated exit/entrance points for the hotel and are completely separated internally. The Condo is designated residential space, and the hotel is freehold commercial space, both with wholly owned title deeds for their spaces.

If you have a condominium, i dont think it is possible to change its usage or dissolve the Juristic Person without 100% approval by all Co-owners which would be unheard of. In essence i have no idea what a condotel is legally or physically speaking.

1 hour ago, smutcakes said:

Is Condotel just not a made up word? I am not sure there is any such thing in Thailand. Certainly you have mixed use schemes with Condominiums and hotels incorporated, such as Eight Thonglor but these are developed like that at the outset and have designated exit/entrance points for the hotel and are completely separated internally. The Condo is designated residential space, and the hotel is freehold commercial space, both with wholly owned title deeds for their spaces.

If you have a condominium, i dont think it is possible to change its usage or dissolve the Juristic Person without 100% approval by all Co-owners which would be unheard of. In essence i have no idea what a condotel is legally or physically speaking.

there are "such things" like "Condotels" in Thailand as well as in other countries learned Sir. hotels which mainly have suites usually call themselves "Condotels".

A condo hotel, also known as a Condotel, hotel-condo or a Contel, is a building, which is legally a condominium but which is operated as a hotel, offering short term rentals, and which maintains a Front Desk.

Condo hotels are typically high-rise buildings developed and operated as luxury hotels, usually in major cities and resorts. These hotels have condominium units which allow someone to own a full-service vacation home. When they are not using this home, they can leverage the marketing and management done by the hotel chain to rent and manage the condo unit as it would any other hotel room.

My understanding is that offering condo units in Thailand for short-term lease on Air BnB is not legal as a hotel licence is required.  However, getting anyone to enforce those laws might be a challenge.

But for sure, condo owners renting out units on Air BnB are required to pay tax on that income.  I am loathe to tip off the authorities on anyone doing anything illegal or not meeting the legal requirements, but if the tourist traffic was such that it was having a negative effect on your life - and there was no other way to do anything about it - then I would be in touch with the Revenue people.  From experience, they do follow up on tip-offs.

On 1/25/2018 at 9:04 AM, smutcakes said:
On 1/25/2018 at 8:58 AM, Naam said:

there are "such things" like "Condotels" in Thailand as well as in other countries learned Sir. hotels which mainly have suites usually call themselves "Condotels".

You learn something every day. Any examples?

Bangkok Condotel - Prices & Hotel Reviews (Thailand) - TripAdvisor

On 1/26/2018 at 3:21 AM, mstevens said:

My understanding is that offering condo units in Thailand for short-term lease on Air BnB is not legal as a hotel licence is required.  However, getting anyone to enforce those laws might be a challenge.

According to this article there is an exemption if you have less than five rooms, cannot accommodate more than twenty guests, and the income generated is merely “additional income” (whatever that means).

Unfortunately I can only find the 2004 Hotel Act, which does not seem to mention this exemption. The linked article refers to the 2008 amendment of the act.