Report to immigration when returned to Thai, rules/fines?

I never do it in Phuket and they never comment when I go in for other business. Skipping a trip to that nightmare is worth any fine they impose. I came in a few weeks ago and went in to report a change of address a week after that. Not a peep. 

So having lived at the same address for 12 years in Bang Saray, if I go on holiday I am supposed to report to Immigration and fill in another form besides the one on the landing card. 

My friends arrived on Monday and I told them of this; they said there are no signs/information at Immigration to this effect; how  can visitors be expected to fulfil yet another obstacle if they are not informed of it?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mikebell said:

So having lived at the same address for 12 years in Bang Saray, if I go on holiday I am supposed to report to Immigration and fill in another form besides the one on the landing card. 

My friends arrived on Monday and I told them of this; they said there are no signs/information at Immigration to this effect; how  can visitors be expected to fulfil yet another obstacle if they are not informed of it?

Why did your friends go to immigration when they arrived in Thailand ?

3 hours ago, berybert said:

Why did your friends go to immigration when they arrived in Thailand ?

I'd imagine that it meant that they were at the immigration counters in the arrival hall of an airport.

Edited by Mattd

1600 baht fine this morning in Jomtein, because my wife "failed" to report me coming home back in November. I went in to get a 60 day extension to my Non Imm O marriage visa, and the first step was reporting my address. Apparently this should be done every time a foreigner enters the Kingdom by the property owner. We've never done it previously and nothing has ever been said on exiting the Kingdom.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, soon2bexpat said:

1600 baht fine this morning in Jomtein, because my wife "failed" to report me coming home back in November. I went in to get a 60 day extension to my Non Imm O marriage visa, and the first step was reporting my address. Apparently this should be done every time a foreigner enters the Kingdom by the property owner. We've never done it previously and nothing has ever been said on exiting the Kingdom.

So, you got fined, not the house owner? I understand she's your wife.... What if she wasn't? Who gets fined?

7 hours ago, soon2bexpat said:

Nothing is ever said when  leaving (or re-entering) the country respecting TM30/TM28 notifications. What happens when you visit an immigration office depends on the office, and sometimes the individual official.

Yep, if you need an extension done at Jomtien, better have that tm30 in order.

The good part is that is easy to do, even as a renter. Can do it all by yourself. The bad part is that you can drink 2 big Leo's at slow peace until it is your turn. :)

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 1/24/2018 at 10:46 AM, mikebell said:

My friends arrived on Monday and I told them of this; they said there are no signs/information at Immigration to this effect

7 minutes ago, berybert said:

All tourists go through immigration when they land. Not many go to immigration.

I do not see anywhere where it was mentioned that they went 'to' immigration? Personally, I thought it was obvious what was meant.

It is actually a good point, as there is no mention of this requirement at the arrival immigration points, or at least not in BKK or DMK, although I do believe that some of the airlines (Thai Airways perhaps) show it on their arrival video prior to landing?

2 hours ago, Mattd said:

I do not see anywhere where it was mentioned that they went 'to' immigration? Personally, I thought it was obvious what was meant.

It is actually a good point, as there is no mention of this requirement at the arrival immigration points, or at least not in BKK or DMK, although I do believe that some of the airlines (Thai Airways perhaps) show it on their arrival video prior to landing?

You thought it obvious, I didn't. I don't know many people who would be looking for signs telling them they need to sign in at their local immigration centre if they don't know they have to do it. 

What signs do you look for when you go though immigration ?  

Edited by berybert

On 24.1.2018 at 10:46 AM, mikebell said:

Always when people here write about a fine or problems it's about a missing TM30, i think nobody here got fined for not doing a TM28. Is there actually any law that says you have to submit a TM28?

The TM30 is the responsibility of the owner of the place where the foreigner stays, so why should immigration inform the tourists at the airport about this? The tourist doesn't have to do anything by himself, the hotel where he stays will report him, and if a friend visits you at your place (or you stay at your own place), then that's your responsibility. And of course it can be expected, that when you are living here, you spend some time reading the laws here in Thailand. If you don't do this, you don't have to complain that you are fined for doing something wrong. Would be the same in any other country too.

49 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

Planning trip to Singapore for 4 days. On retirement visa do I need to go to immigration office before I leave and again upon return? Also heard that you should get multiple entry or could be issues. 

• If you are in Thailand on an extension of stay on the basis of retirement, it is important that you have a re-entry permit to keep your permission to stay intact when leaving and re-entering Thailand. Otherwise, you extension of your permission to stay will be canceled. You can get a re-entry permit (single re-entry or multiple re-entries) at the airport on departure.
  • If not staying in a hotel, depending on your local immigration office, it may be necessary to file a TM30 notification of alien staying at the property when you return. If you are staying in Bangkok, this is not required. If staying elsewhere, and not staying in a hotel, you could let us know your local immigration office, and someone may know the latest policy at that office.
  • Like 1