Ive decided to sell my shares on Nasdaq.

12 hours ago, Pinot said:

Nope, no manager consistasntly does it and in the long run...none of them do, not a single one. 

Dividends from corporate bonds are taxed at short-term income rates and they're very volatile. They're down significantly in the last six months. 

Total BS. Take a look at the performance tables.

I don’t know if your interested or have time to watch this video but at around the 20min mark this guy (Jeremy Grantham) says some interesting things. He says if the S&P rises to the 3400 range then he is going to sell all his equity positions that he manages in his funds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7-2pruKE8A

He goes on to suggest that 'individuals' should do the following:

-       As a hedge only put 2 to 3% into high momentum stocks

-       Invest big into ‘emerging markets’ which I assume he means an ETF index stock fund. He says they are cheap at the moment.

JG said in the video that U.S stocks are incredibly expensive at the moment but global stocks are not.

The video highlights the point that one should consider having some exposure to emerging market stocks because:

-       EM have lagged U.S market in recent yrs

-       Growing faster

-       Economies are less mature

-       Populations younger

-       Markets volatile

This is one of the ETFs that is recommended by Morningstar in the video:

https://www3.troweprice.com/fb2/fbkweb/snapshot.do?ticker=PRMSX

13 hours ago, Pinot said:

Then your beliefs are wrong. That's unsustainable and none of the funds I quoted do that. You don't understand CEFs. 

Oh really?

As an absolute minimum an investor should read and fully understand the two page "Facts" paper.

Here's ETY.

Eaton Vance Tax-Managed Diversified Equity Income Fund

https://funds.eatonvance.com/includes/loadDocument.php?fn=2777.pdf&dt=fundpdfs'

Fund currently makes distributions in accordance with a managed distribution plan. Distributions may include amounts characterized for federal income tax purposes as ordinary dividends (including qualified dividends), capital gain distributions and nondividend distributions, also known as return of capital distributions. Return of capital distribution may include a return of some or all of the money that an investor invested in Fund shares.

Now, please, who has the belief and who has the facts?

And now you wrote

FOF, like some fund of funds (there are a few), sells at a discount to most of the funds it owns selling at a discount. It's compounding the discount of the funds it owns. It more than makes up for management fees. It's a CEF offering a nice return (8%) and was up 23% last year. That's why this person bought a fund of funds.

That is surely a gross misunderstanding.

The FOF is priced at a discount because of the costs and risks of liquidating the underlying instruments, some of which tend to be highly illiquid. The market demands a discount to take on the risk.

You will have to explain the mechanism "compounding the discount of the funds it owns", it is a concept I can't seem to grasp.

The only way that s CEF can offer 8% is by selling stocks. This is currently easy because the market is rising.

The DOW Yield is currently 2.33%. Where do think the other 5.67% is coming from?

http://indexarb.com/dividendYieldSorteddj.html

It is utterly impossible for a Fund of Funds to distribute 8% without selling some of the underlying funds.

On 1/26/2018 at 5:20 PM, yogavnture said:

trump tax cuts to corporations. alot of them report earnings jan 31. lets see. i see the market actually going up this year. due to trump tax cuts . corps making money hand over fist

what do you think is going to happen to the market when interest rates rise this year? History tells us that asset prices fall and credit growth slows. This yr I see a decline in prices

The 8 stocks I own are up almost 300 K since August. Boeing, Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, Applied Materials, Visa, Costco, 3M. I would like to go mostly to cash, but selling most or all of them in the same year means a larger tax bill than spreading sales out. I think a major correction is likely, but a long way off. I think the FED raising rates is already priced in. 

The faster and faster leaps from 23,000 to 24,000, to 25,000 to 26,000 are worrisome.  I used to not think about my portfolio, but now I check and am paying attention. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, luther said:

The 8 stocks I own are up almost 300 K since August. Boeing, Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, Applied Materials, Visa, Costco, 3M. I would like to go mostly to cash, but selling most or all of them in the same year means a larger tax bill than spreading sales out. I think a major correction is likely, but a long way off. I think the FED raising rates is already priced in. 

The faster and faster leaps from 23,000 to 24,000, to 25,000 to 26,000 are worrisome.  I used to not think about my portfolio, but now I check and am paying attention. 

You can Hedge  into bitcoin and gold 

A lot of people are doing it

On 1/27/2018 at 1:37 PM, 12DrinkMore said:

Oh really?

As an absolute minimum an investor should read and fully understand the two page "Facts" paper.

Here's ETY.

Eaton Vance Tax-Managed Diversified Equity Income Fund

https://funds.eatonvance.com/includes/loadDocument.php?fn=2777.pdf&dt=fundpdfs'

Now, please, who has the belief and who has the facts?

And now you wrote

That is surely a gross misunderstanding.

The FOF is priced at a discount because of the costs and risks of liquidating the underlying instruments, some of which tend to be highly illiquid. The market demands a discount to take on the risk.

You will have to explain the mechanism "compounding the discount of the funds it owns", it is a concept I can't seem to grasp.

The only way that s CEF can offer 8% is by selling stocks. This is currently easy because the market is rising.

The DOW Yield is currently 2.33%. Where do think the other 5.67% is coming from?

http://indexarb.com/dividendYieldSorteddj.html

It is utterly impossible for a Fund of Funds to distribute 8% without selling some of the underlying funds.

As I already said and I'll say again, you don't understand CEFs. They make money different ways. Some use leverage, some use options, some do a variety of things, such as NHF, for example, paying about 10%. They are not a Ponzi scheme, which you imply. They may have some added risk.

ETY was up 28% while paying a dividend of 8% using an options-based strategy. Do you understand options? An options-based strategy can also protect the investor in a down market. ETJ is a defensive CEF also using options that pays about 9%. dividends.

Investors can use CEFconnect.com to understand CEFs and see ratings.  

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 9:31 AM, advancebooking said:

what do you think is going to happen to the market when interest rates rise this year? History tells us that asset prices fall and credit growth slows. This yr I see a decline in prices

YES you are right they will go down this year. but when. ?  better to ride out the storm as u dont want to miss out on up days

4 hours ago, yogavnture said:

YES you are right they will go down this year. but when. ?  better to ride out the storm as u dont want to miss out on up days

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/robert-shiller-stock-market-today-similar-stock-market-1928-204253341.html?utm_content=buffer38b64&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=yahoofinance

2 minutes ago, davidst01 said:

The odds of a market crash today are exactly the same as the odds of the market not crashing today.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

earning reports coming out tomorrow ...........lets see what happens

A little known event currently underway is pension funds rebalancing their portfolio's which must be completed by the end of this month, that's tomorrow! That event will see those companies sell around 12 billion of equities and buy around 24 billion in fixed income securities, what do you suppose that might do for the bond market! A good piece on this subject here:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-24/wall-street-warns-of-seismic-pension-shift-into-bonds-this-month

On 1/25/2018 at 9:26 PM, yogavnture said:

your advise is free.?  what about the tax u just paid on your sale?  i dont know what im talking about?  my success rate is much more than yours so i guess that tells who knows what they are speaking about. its investors like you that help the rest of us else out.  thanks!

You are welcome.

• Haha 1

The VIX has jumped to 33 and the DOW is down 4.5% but the markets are closed - at this point in time it looks like a correction but in another 48 hours it may look different......a bounce or further falls, who knows, I'm betting on a bounce because there's trillions of cash sat on the sidelines looking for a home, in two weeks time all of this may well have been forgotten, either that or it'll be food parcels all round.....!

3 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

The VIX has jumped to 33 and the DOW is down 4.5% but the markets are closed - at this point in time it looks like a correction but in another 48 hours it may look different......a bounce or further falls, who knows, I'm betting on a bounce because there's trillions of cash sat on the sidelines looking for a home, in two weeks time all of this may well have been forgotten, either that or it'll be food parcels all round.....!

Generally, with bubbles, they plunge and make new highs a couple of times to set folks up to be even more complacent when the third plunge hits.

regarding the guy that sold out. heres my take . my advisor always tells me to stay in. if one has enuf to ride it out. , then stay in . i can see small investors getting out . fair enuf. but those with a bit more. need to stay in. if everybody got out. then we have a real problem.  we all need to help each other.  stay in . ride the storm. you will be fine. more ups than downs. it will correct. just some air getting let out. nothing to worry about.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

You are welcome.

small investors like you can get out when the getting is good......fair enuf. but those with a bit more need to help each other out and stay in the market.s.    its not your money anyway until you sell.  if every body did what lannarebirth does and be selfish. then we have a real sell off that hurts everybody. you are welcome

1 minute ago, yogavnture said:

small investors like you can get out when the getting is good......fair enuf. but those with a bit more need to help each other out and stay in the market.s.    its not your money anyway until you sell.  if every body did what lannarebirth does and be selfish. then we have a real sell off that hurts everybody. you are welcome

I do not invest in equities nor do I trade currencies. Both can and are frequently diluted.

4 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

no one knows. stay in . ride the storm be a man. not a whimper.........i asked a good advisor on a national radio show once about this. he responded if you dont have the guts to ride the storms you should not be in the market.   i hope you made a few bucks on the sell off. now . lets see if you make a few bucks on the buy in. i decided to stay in, because if everybody was scalping like you the dow would have suffered more. yesterday.  have some guts . be a man

1 hour ago, yogavnture said:

no one knows. stay in . ride the storm be a man. not a whimper.........i asked a good advisor on a national radio show once about this. he responded if you dont have the guts to ride the storms you should not be in the market.   i hope you made a few bucks on the sell off. now . lets see if you make a few bucks on the buy in. i decided to stay in, because if everybody was scalping like you the dow would have suffered more. yesterday.  have some guts . be a man

It's hardly about being a man and why anyone should think that's important in this instance escapes me!

The realities and practicalities are that I pay a premium for the services of top notch fund managers, it's they who decide what to do, not me, that's their job. And even if I did decide to get out for whatever reason, the lead time to sell a fund in London means that I've already taken the hit. So yes, I am staying in and I'm expecting the fund managers to buy on the bounce, which ever one they chose that is.

• Like 1

The DOW has taken a hammering the past two days and looks downward again. Other markets followed suit with Australia's ASX having one of it's worst days in a long time.

Bitcoin has been slashed down overnight with markets at $6,237 ...  as it stands. 

Gold seems to be the haven ??

• Like 1

no one likes to lose. it will come back.  always has always will. i can only ffigure my advisor says to stayin as if everybody exited it would make it worse. plus he says u can never tell when the bounce will occur. better to batten down the hatches and wait it out

11 minutes ago, steven100 said:

The DOW has taken a hammering the past two days and looks downward again. Other markets followed suit with Australia's ASX having one of it's worst days in a long time.

Bitcoin has been slashed down overnight with markets at $6,237 ...  as it stands. 

Gold seems to be the haven ??

bit coin is a Ponzi scheme. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

It's hardly about being a man and why anyone should think that's important in this instance escapes me!

The realities and practicalities are that I pay a premium for the services of top notch fund managers, it's they who decide what to do, not me, that's their job. And even if I did decide to get out for whatever reason, the lead time to sell a fund in London means that I've already taken the hit. So yes, I am staying in and I'm expecting the fund managers to buy on the bounce, which ever one they chose that is.

because of tax ramifications my advisor tells me to stay in . i could have put my ira on hold but i didnt .............the ira in usa is not taxable so i could have done that. oh well.it will comeback. sometimes i think this is a game to get the folks with low threshhold out. i can assure you buffett didnt sell out but hes one of the players that needs to stay in to keep this whole thing going..........just need to endure the pain for now. it will come back . alot of what i have is in mutual funds so i would assume they run for cover best they can with my money when this occurs. to minimize damage....they can do it quickly more quickly than yo or i could react