The Fall's Mark E. Smith dies

webfact

The Fall's Mark E. Smith dies

Reuters Staff

(Reuters) - Mark E. Smith, lead singer and songwriter of British post-punk band The Fall, died at home on Wednesday aged 60, the band’s manager said in a statement.

The statement by Pam Van Damned gave no details but said an update would follow in the coming days. bit.ly/2n911rO

In 2017, The Fall canceled shows due to concerns over the health of Smith who underwent treatment, media reports said.

Smith formed the band in 1976 and remained its only constant presence with many other members changing around him.

Smith also released two solo albums - 'The Post Nearly Man' in 1998 and 'Pander! Panda! Panzer!' in 2002. He is described as a "singular figure in post-punk" by Rolling Stone magazine. rol.st/2n9b93R

Reporting by Kanishka Singh; Editing by Matthew Mpoke Bigg

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-01-25
  • Thanks 1

"The statement by Pam Van Damned gave no details but said an update would follow in the coming days." 

When they've worked out how to deal with announcing that he died of a fall?

(Well he did love wordplay)

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Amongst all the broadsheet claptrap that has been printed over the past day or so, I read a really good article online that reveals a warmth and affection beneath his brusque exterior:

Hip Priest: Mark E Smith As Conduit For The Fall

I thought The Guardian's coverage was excellent.

I gave up on the Quietus article at "My first Fall albums were 1999's The Marshall Suite, swiftly followed by 2000's The Unutterable, which I still count as my favourite Fall LP..."

But what would I know...

7 hours ago, MESmith said:

I thought The Guardian's coverage was excellent.

I gave up on the Quietus article at "My first Fall albums were 1999's The Marshall Suite, swiftly followed by 2000's The Unutterable, which I still count as my favourite Fall LP..."

But what would I know...

What was your first gig?

• 3 weeks later...