UK PM May's lawmakers considering coup if local elections go badly - Guardian

webfact

Rees-Mogg is just a wet dream sideshow for the forum hard brexiteers who know it just ain't going to plan as far as they are concerned. For the rest, keep an eye on developments in the House of Lords (brexiteer enemies of the people as is also the House of Commons): https://tinyurl.com/y9g9ls5v That should get our forum brexiteer friends up in a tizz.

On 27/01/2018 at 7:31 AM, nauseus said:

Disagree. The Labour shadow cabinet have to be the most useless set of goons in 50 years. Present gov gets 2nd place though.  

I wonder, The incumbent cabinet can not even sing from the same hymn sheet...

Last week Super Blonde Man made a pitch to spend money we have not got, undermining the PM and the rest of the cabinet in probably another attempt to take the top job, 

10 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Last week Super Blonde Man made a pitch to spend money we have not got, undermining the PM and the rest of the cabinet in probably another attempt to take the top job, 

I have to admit to a certain liking for Boris (as an entertaining eccentric). He was a hoot on "Have I Got News For You" and he's always a good sport when people take the p1ss out of him.

However, if the Conservative party ever vote him into the PM job, it will make the USA electorate seem like geniuses in comparison.

12 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I have to admit to a certain liking for Boris (as an entertaining eccentric). He was a hoot on "Have I Got News For You" and he's always a good sport when people take the p1ss out of him.

However, if the Conservative party ever vote him into the PM job, it will make the USA electorate seem like geniuses in comparison.

I know we voted for Brexit but after the US voters <deleted> you do not think the British voters could be that stupid?

1 minute ago, chickenslegs said:

Problem is - British voters do not select the PM, the winning party does. God help us!

Yes, but we (well not me) voted them in, but if Boris is appointed PM I bet the big headed fool would pick up Corbyn's gauntlet...

Yes, but we (well not me) voted them in, but if Boris is appointed PM I bet the big headed fool would pick up Corbyn's gauntlet...

Would be surprised if Boris got the job for the very reason that the size of his ego and recklessness would tempt him into an election which the rest of his party would dread - more likely they would go for someone who would give them more guarantees that they would not go to the country.

It needs to be remembered that many of the high profile, hard-brexiteer MPs are from constituencies that voted remain in the referendum so may be on rocky ground using their position on brexit to win votes. Some of the bigger Tory fish from remain constituencies are Rees-Mogg, Grayling, Raab, Lilley, IDS, Fox, McVey and Goldsmith.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 hours ago, Basil B said:

Probably the instigator of the proposed coup

That's not quite how it works, but would give a nod and make a statement to signal the off. Making a statement out of his Foreign Secretary remit a pretty obvious and clumsy way of doing it. After Johnson's experience with Gove also as well as sticking it to Theresa May having to keep his eye on colleagues only too happy to stick it to his own good self. The whole cabal of Brexiteers in the Cabinet a shambles of opportunism and disloyalty barely kept in check by St Theresa.

Edited by SheungWan

11 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

If you ignore the lying to his bosses, cheating on his wife, forcing one of his mistresses to have an abortion, conspiring to have a journalist beaten up etc. etc., yeah, diamond geezer.

9 hours ago, Orac said:

Would be surprised if Boris got the job for the very reason that the size of his ego and recklessness would tempt him into an election which the rest of his party would dread - more likely they would go for someone who would give them more guarantees that they would not go to the country.

It needs to be remembered that many of the high profile, hard-brexiteer MPs are from constituencies that voted remain in the referendum so may be on rocky ground using their position on brexit to win votes. Some of the bigger Tory fish from remain constituencies are Rees-Mogg, Grayling, Raab, Lilley, IDS, Fox, McVey and Goldsmith.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Hopefully there are enough Tories with a bit of common sense...

Well lets hope so.

On 26/01/2018 at 8:48 PM, Cherjam said:

The sooner, Scotland is free from this auld biddy, the better

I believe the Scottish electorate voted on this issue in 2014. During that referendum the SNP kept plugging away on how the Scottish economy would benefit from North Sea oil. Two years on, and the price of oil was ?

Can you image what the state of the Scottish Excheguer would be now if the SNP had have been successful. Perhaps now is the time for you and your fellow nationalist to go down on your blended knees and kiss the feet of those Scots who used their common sense, and voted to remain in the U.K.

ED456F54-62DB-489F-BD83-D9CAFC162625.jpeg

11 hours ago, nontabury said:

I believe the Scottish electorate voted on this issue in 2014. During that referendum the SNP kept plugging away on how the Scottish economy would benefit from North Sea oil. Two years on, and the price of oil was ?

Can you image what the state of the Scottish Excheguer would be now if the SNP had have been successful. Perhaps now is the time for you and your fellow nationalist to go down on your blended knees and kiss the feet of those Scots who used their common sense, and voted to remain in the U.K.

Well, oil is at $70 and climbing; Shell announced the new Penguins development last month, yesterday BP announced 2 new fields.

Also, consider that production volumes for Norway and the UK from 2015 to 17 were broadly similar, but while Norway received GBP 29 billion in tax receipts for that production, the UK lost GBP 23 million for the same period. 

So - you tell me, is that your definition of common sense? You are  happy to pay out 23 million to the oil companies rather than take in 29 billion in taxes? Thank you Westminster - we would definitely not have done it without you!

StB-123.png

Perhaps now is the time for you and your fellow nationalist to go down on your blended knees and kiss the feet of those Scots who used their common sense, and voted to remain in the U.K.

Clearly more and more Scots are realising just how damaging it is to remain stuck in this toxic union.

Tory revival hits buffers as party popularity sinks in new poll while SNP support climbs

"Ruth Davidson has suffered a poll blow after a new survey suggested the Tory revival in Scotland has hit the buffers.

The Scottish Conservatives would drop five seats to a resurgent SNP if the results of the poll of more than 1000 Scots were repeated in a Westminster election."

8 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Clearly more and more Scots are realising just how damaging it is to remain stuck in this toxic union.

Tory revival hits buffers as party popularity sinks in new poll while SNP support climbs

"Ruth Davidson has suffered a poll blow after a new survey suggested the Tory revival in Scotland has hit the buffers.

The Scottish Conservatives would drop five seats to a resurgent SNP if the results of the poll of more than 1000 Scots were repeated in a Westminster election."

An opinion poll of 1000. Need I say more.

On 1/31/2018 at 2:03 PM, nontabury said:

ED456F54-62DB-489F-BD83-D9CAFC162625.jpeg

27337116_958732920947584_2251844846247512066_n.jpg

An opinion poll of 1000. Need I say more.

Knowing little about the subject or making the slightest effort to find out is no barrier whatsoever to hard brexiteers offering us their plucked out of the air opinions.

Edited by SheungWan

On 1/29/2018 at 1:45 AM, Basil B said:

I wonder, The incumbent cabinet can not even sing from the same hymn sheet...

The Tories have got form in this regard and the last time was the effective bringing down of the Major Government and the removal of the Conservatives from government for a generation. The difference between Major and May is that Major called out the troublemakers (the Bastards) whereas this time May gives the impression of being pulled around as the current Brexit negotiations continue. As for Labour, it may not have mattered much what Major did then as Blair won on a landslide. This time the hard brexiteers think that they would not fall to the shambling Corbyn but that bet looks increasingly risky, not that the hard brexiteers in their swivel-eyed mode are capable of making sensible decisions on their imagined way to the promised land.

15 hours ago, nontabury said:

An opinion poll of 1000. 

Like yourself, I was grossly ignorant of the science behind polling methods - thank you for prompting me to find out more. 

Unfortunately the topic is far too nuanced and convoluted for me to summarise, but this was a good short, not technical explanation:

"Sample size doesn't much depend on the population size, which is counter-intuitive to many.

Most polling companies use 400 or 1000 people in their samples.

There is a reason for this:

A sample size of 400 will give you a confidence interval of +/-5% 19 times out of 20 (95%)

A sample size of 1000 will give you a confidence interval of +/-3% 19 times out of 20 (95%)"

If that isn't enough for you, here is the Pew Research Center suggesting that 1,000 respondents is sufficient to poll the whole of the US:

How can a survey of 1,000 people tell you what the whole U.S. thinks?

15 hours ago, nontabury said:

Need I say more.

Based on the above, my answer is yes, you do need to say more.

7 hours ago, Cherjam said:

27337116_958732920947584_2251844846247512066_n.jpg

True but wholly off-topic story - about 20 years ago I worked on a platform in the Central North Sea. Some bright spark noticed a regular a correlation between rainfall in Deeside and production from our wells, about 150 miles east of Dundee - generally 2 days after heavy rain in the Grampian mountains, our production rates would rise by around 10%. 

Edited by RuamRudy