BOT chief says baht will stay secure

snoop1130

5 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Conspiracy theories about the Baht have been promoted by expats in this forum for years, they simply don't understand currency markets and try to cover that fact up by claiming manipulation by the elites - study the subject even a little bit and you'll realise it isn't so and you'll stop making silly arguments! A currency becomes stronger because it is in demand and people buy it, when the economy of a country is based on exports (which get paid for in USD which is then sold and converted to Baht), tourism (where tourists sell their home currency to but Baht), Foreign Direct Investment (where investors buy  baht to invest in business) and hot money (where overseas investors but bonds and invest in the SET), there's only one possible course for that currency and that is upwards.

US tax cuts are off topic.

Off topic? The staggering debt is flooding the bond market, pushing dollar lower. The slashing of the "death tax" for the wealthy will make repayment that much more difficult. 

25 minutes ago, Mac98 said:

Off topic? The staggering debt is flooding the bond market, pushing dollar lower. The slashing of the "death tax" for the wealthy will make repayment that much more difficult. 

If you're going to talk about US tax cuts and US bonds etc., we may as well be talking about any second currency, shekel, Dinar, rial etc. This thread, however, is about the future of THB, that's why discussions about USD are off topic.

The Thais are not manipulating any currencies nor do they have the economic strength to do so. If anything they want a weaker Baht to help exports. It is the $ that is weak, not the Baht strong. The $ has been falling against all the major currencies in the world for some time and with the bufoon in charge over there, that may well continue.

On 1/28/2018 at 1:32 AM, simoh1490 said:

If you're going to talk about US tax cuts and US bonds etc., we may as well be talking about any second currency, shekel, Dinar, rial etc. This thread, however, is about the future of THB, that's why discussions about USD are off topic.

Ohhhh, I thought we were discussing why the baht was so strong against foreign currencies. I can see how the strength, or lack of it, of the dollar would have no relationship to this topic. 

4 hours ago, Mac98 said:

Ohhhh, I thought we were discussing why the baht was so strong against foreign currencies. I can see how the strength, or lack of it, of the dollar would have no relationship to this topic. 

I think it's pretty clear that I refer to the tax cut subject that you raised!!!!

We're done.