Relevant to those applying for Non Immigrant O-A visa (retirement visa)

10 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

It is called a one year extension of stay for retirement and a multi re-entry will only be valid for the period of that extension.  

The O-A is a process that does not require funds in Thailand and provides a new one year stay on any entry for the validity of visa (one year from issue) so good for almost 2 years before any extension required inside Thailand.  This fits many coming here for retirement.

We can give it any name, but it's a Non-Immigrant O visa (see photo) and with it you can stay one year in the country (going in and out as re-entry permit allows), and renew it year on year.

This said the substantial differences between OA and O are:

With an O-A visa you do not need to have money in Thailand, but you do need them anyway. A plus for some, less important for others.

With an O-A visa, if you leave the country during the validity of the visa you postpone the renewal date. A plus for some to save the trip to the immigration, potentially in your lifetime halving your trips to immigration.

This said, I think that there are a number of people who - were they properly informed on the possibility of coming in as tourists and getting the non-immigrant O visa in Bangkok - rather than going out of the country for a OA or applying for one at home with the extra costs and checks imposed on them... they would - as I did - opt for the non-immigrant O route.

It's this dual option they have which I cared to point out.

Cheers, have a good day.

straydog

passport.jpg

One other advantage of the OA Visa is that it allows you, with planning about your last re-entry to select your future date for annual extensions.

It was the only way I found to do this after years of extensions listed for the madhouse of immi at December.

Also, entering with an O from any Embassy/Consulate cuts out half  of the BS in the method promoted by the OP, which cannot be done at some Immi offices.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, canerandagio said:

I don't get this, can you make it clearer please? :)

What don't you understand.?

Starting with any category of O Visa, as recommended by the MFA, allows a same day extension for one year based on retirement.

Try your method at Jomtien and see how you get on 555!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, canerandagio said:

I don't get this, can you make it clearer please? :)

You don't have to go through the ''conversion'' process if you entered on any type of ''O'' Visa.

The O-A long stay Visa allows the flexibility to look around first, before deciding on a place of residence, then apply for an extension based on retirement when you've found a place to lay your hat.

OP, some good information for those unaware or exploring their options, a large percentage are already aware of the O visa/extension route. Maybe some are unaware.

There are advantages and disadvantages for both O an OA routes.

O A route

Lots of running around in home country but you already have transport, a license, bank accounts, you speak the language etc. (some running around in home country to get Tourist visa for O route) . O A visa you get up to 2 years before you even have to worry about bank accounts, 800k, re-entry permits, extensions etc.

O route

A lot of running around (specific timing) in 2-3 months, in a new country, no transport, license, a foreign language etc. Sometimes hard to do, maybe not even possible, outside of BKK, Pattaya etc. Lots of threads about people having problems.

Edited by Peterw42

3 hours ago, canerandagio said:

We can give it any name, but it's a Non-Immigrant O visa (see photo) and with it you can stay one year in the country (going in and out as re-entry permit allows), and renew it year on year. //

I don't think so.

The Non-O you will obtain in BKK by conversion will be a single-entry Non-O. 

So he will give you 90 days only (plus 30 days extension if you want/ask it) and you will need a ReEntry Permit if you want go out and in Thailand.

5 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

I don't think so.

The Non-O you will obtain in BKK by conversion will be a single-entry Non-O. 

So he will give you 90 days only (plus 30 days extension if you want/ask it) and you will need a ReEntry Permit if you want go out and in Thailand.

The photo is of a one year extension of stay for retirement - it is not a visa and does not allow entry.  It was obtained using a TM7 which clearly says extension of stay.

As for the conversion single entry O visa it allows only a 90 day stay and can not be extended for 30 days (that is for tourist visas).

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

The photo is of a one year extension of stay for retirement   //

So why is it valid for only 3 months ??  :unsure:

Seems to be a "Non-O to get a Retirement Extension" to me.

Edited by Pattaya46

5 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

So why is it valid for only 3 months ??  :unsure:

That is the entry stamp after getting a non immigrant visa (category O) at immigration. The stamp the non-o retirement indicates that was reason for the visa being issued.

If he had posted a copy of his extension stamp it would not say non-o on it.

3 hours ago, Evilbaz said:

What don't you understand.?

Starting with any category of O Visa, as recommended by the MFA, allows a same day extension for one year based on retirement.

Try your method at Jomtien and see how you get on 555!

Listen mate... I put forward a suggestion which has some serious advantages for some people, it's not bullshit as you defined it, nor it deserves to be laughed at. I talked to you in a civilised manner and I asked for a clarification and if you want to laugh at someone look at yourself in the mirror and do it. Don't bother replying as I don't enjoy exchanges in these terms.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is the entry stamp after getting a non immigrant visa (category O) at immigration. The stamp the non-o retirement indicates that was reason for the visa being issued.

If he had posted a copy of his extension stamp it would not say non-o on it.

Guys, to help on this matter I am posting the follow-up picture. The first stamp (previous photo) is what I received 90 days as I converted my tourist visa into Non-O.

The second photo is what I received when I got the first 12 months extension. 12 months from the end of the 90 days.

The only point I have been making with this post - and I concur with the analysis put forward by Peterw42 - is that for some going the route of converting a tourist visa into a non-O is possibly the best option.

I was not aware that some immigration offices do not allow this route, but certainly Chaeng Wattana did it for me with no hassle and:

It costed - the whole process: 25 GBP tourist visa + 2000 baht (conversion) + 1900 baht (extension) + 3800 multiple entry reentry.

If I had done this in London the OA route I would have had to pay 125GBP + 80 GBP police report + 40 GBP medical certificate + translations and certifications (I had calculated 600 GBP I seem to remember). Moreover I would have had to wait for all this to take place, whilst for the O conversion took 3 visits averaging 1.5 hours each and taxi rides.

One can choose the route he/she prefers, but I do see some value in this one that seems not known to many probably because not duly advertised by embassies.

pass.jpg

Edited by canerandagio
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, canerandagio said:

Guys, to help on this matter I am posting the follow-up picture. The first stamp (previous photo) is what I received 90 days as I converted my tourist visa into Non-O.

The second photo is what I received when I got the first 12 months extension. 12 months from the end of the 90 days.

pass.jpg

What others have suggested, but it seems to have not gotten through, is that in stead of a tourist visa you could also apply for non-O from an embassy/consulate abroad, home country or neighbouring countries, thereby preventing the conversion from tourist to non-O.

4 minutes ago, stevenl said:

What others have suggested, but it seems to have not gotten through, is that in stead of a tourist visa you could also apply for non-O from an embassy/consulate abroad, home country or neighbouring countries, thereby preventing the conversion from tourist to non-O.

OK, thanks. This is clear now. I didn't know of this possibility and when I enquired at London embassy they just gave me a long list of documents to produce for the OA visa.

8 minutes ago, canerandagio said:

OK, thanks. This is clear now. I didn't know of this possibility and when I enquired at London embassy they just gave me a long list of documents to produce for the OA visa.

If married to a Thai it is easy to obtain, and then use for retirement extension, but for retirement as stated reason not provided many places as they started to push the O-A a few years ago.  

7 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

If married to a Thai it is easy to obtain, and then use for retirement extension, but for retirement as stated reason not provided many places as they started to push the O-A a few years ago.  

Thanks. That would explain why in London they acted like they did, which led me to come on a tourist visa and then figure things out from here, which worked out really well: I landed on 19 March, transferred 800k and within two weeks I got my first 90 days. The only drawback was that I couldn't get a residence certificate until I had the first one year extension, which made my driving licence and vehicle purchase more troublesome (bought vehicle on someone else's name and used international licence).

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84508-Non-Immigrant-visas.html

"O"   To visit Thai spouse, children, parents, voluntary job, retirement (with State Pension)

"O-A"

For applicants aged 50 and over who wish to stay in Thailand for an extended period without the intention of working. 

Edited by canerandagio

I have an Non-Imm O-A and obtaining it was not a hassle or very difficult.  If one is out of Thailand and a Thai Embassy/Consulate is near then consider it.  

1) Income/Pension Letter-No Cost

2) Police Background Check-$20 dollars-Took 2 Days

3) Medical Exam-3 Days for lab report $250 (This was expensive because I went to an out of network clinic)

4) Three Notarization Stamps $30 Dollars

5) $200 Money Order for the Visa Application Fee

6) Drive to the consulate and drop off the application packet on a Wednesday Morning at 0900

7) Return on a Thursday Morning at 1030 and pick up my passport with the O-A.

8) Fly to CNX and get Multi Entry for the first year

9) Take a short trip out of the country just before the "Enter Before" date and a get fresh 1 Year Permission To Stay Stamp.

This Non-Imm O-A will allow me to stay in the Kingdom for almost 23 months.  

The Non-Imm O-A is not for everyone but is a good option for those who want the process of obtaining a Visa/Ext of Stay completed before they arrive.  For some the Non-Imm O in the Kingdom is the better option.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

I have an Non-Imm O-A and obtaining it was not a hassle or very difficult.  If one is out of Thailand and a Thai Embassy/Consulate is near then consider it.  

1) Income/Pension Letter-No Cost

2) Police Background Check-$20 dollars-Took 2 Days

3) Medical Exam-3 Days for lab report $250 (This was expensive because I went to an out of network clinic)

4) Three Notarization Stamps $30 Dollars

5) $200 Money Order for the Visa Application Fee

6) Drive to the consulate and drop off the application packet on a Wednesday Morning at 0900

7) Return on a Thursday Morning at 1030 and pick up my passport with the O-A.

8) Fly to CNX and get Multi Entry for the first year

9) Take a short trip out of the country just before the "Enter Before" date and a get fresh 1 Year Permission To Stay Stamp.

This Non-Imm O-A will allow me to stay in the Kingdom for almost 23 months.  

The Non-Imm O-A is not for everyone but is a good option for those who want the process of obtaining a Visa/Ext of Stay completed before they arrive.  For some the Non-Imm O in the Kingdom is the better option.  

You can not obtain just anywhere - you must be a resident of the country the Thai Consulate is located in to apply for the O-A visa.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, canerandagio said:

There is a much simpler procedure

Getting the non-imm O-A is quite simple and gives you up to 2 years in Thailand with no need to do conversions and extensions and no need to keep money in a Thai bank or to get embassy verification of income.

Get an extension of 12 months year on year when the first 90 days expired.               This is called Non-Immigrant O visa for the purpose of retirement

It's called an extension of stay. It is not a visa.

you can get a multiple re-entry permit to go in and out as you wish till the cows come home (for ever).

You need a re-entry permit because once on the extension of stay, you do not have a valid visa to enter Thailand and the re-entry permit is only valid for the length of the extension of stay.

I will be happy to guide you through the process.

Given your explanation above, your offer of guidance is risible.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, canerandagio said:

We can give it any name, but it's a Non-Immigrant O visa (see photo) and with it you can stay one year in the country (going in and out as re-entry permit allows), and renew it year on year.

It's not a visa which is why you need to re-entry permit. If you had a valid visa (like a non-imm O-A), you wouldn't need a re-entry permit.

• Like 1

I felt the urge to share it now

Getting a non-imm O to enter Thailand and then applying for an extension of stay based on retirement (without the unnecessary bother of doing a conversion from a tourist visa) is hardly some revolutionary idea that you alone know about. The process has been explained umpteen times in TV forums and elsewhere. 

For a variety of reasons many people prefer to get the O-A, which isn't the hassle you seem to think it is. In fact it allows you more freedom to spend doing things in Thailand other than sitting in immigration offices numerous times during the first few months of your stay here or making an appointment at your embassy to get an income affidavit if needed for getting an extension.

5 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

It's not a visa which is why you need to re-entry permit. If you had a valid visa (like a non-imm O-A), you wouldn't need a re-entry permit.

I am afraid you need to inform yourself a bit more. Have a look at the photo below and tell me if that's not a visa, it reads 'NON IMMIGRANT VISA', doesn't it?... It is a NON-IMMIGRANT VISA, valid visa, Issued on 29th March, granting stay until June and extended in May for 12 months from June.

Perhaps you are confusing Conversion with Extension. Conversion means you are converting a visa (i.e. Tourist) into another visa (Non-Immigrant O). This is exactly what I have done and I am afraid you will have to reconsider your certainties.

So I am afraid I will return to you the adjective of 'risible' and I will add 'interesting' in the sense of how some people are so attached to their certainties that they refuse to consider that there may be value in alternatives.

As for your the comment in your last post, which I just read:

"Getting a non-imm O to enter Thailand and then applying for an extension of stay based on retirement (without the unnecessary bother of doing a conversion from a tourist visa) is hardly some revolutionary idea that you alone know about. The process has been explained umpteen times in TV forums and elsewhere. "

It seems to confirm that you didn't get my point. I never advocated getting a non-O visa to enter Thailand but if as you said - it is not a revolutionary idea - then I bow to your superior knowledge and I wonder whether we should perhaps stop sharing our views and just rely on a model in which people who do not know ask questions to a panel of experts like you. Just a word of warning though, not all embassies do Non-O visa for retirement (see London) and not everyone may agree with your view on what is best. Good luck...

pass2.jpg

Again you received a conversion to a non immigrant O visa entry and then went on to extend that entry for one year which means you are currently here on an extension of stay and as long as you continue to do this yearly will remain here on extensions of stay.  You do not have a valid visa for Thailand.  For travel you would enter the number of a re-entry permit and enter on that rather than a visa.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

For a variety of reasons many people prefer to get the O-A, which isn't the hassle you seem to think it is. In fact it allows you more freedom to spend doing things in Thailand other than sitting in immigration offices numerous times during the first few months of your stay here or making an appointment at your embassy to get an income affidavit if needed for getting an extension.

You are making some value judgements here which are as valid as their alternatives, depending on the circumstances.

I prefer to come to BKK and spend a total of 4.5 hours over two months in the immigration office paying 100 GBP rather than staying in London waiting for police reports (takes weeks and costs), medical checks (takes time and costs), paperwork translation and certification (takes time and costs)  and paying 6 times the price. You may prefer the OA visa, but I am sure many don't.

1 hour ago, canerandagio said:

Listen mate... I put forward a suggestion which has some serious advantages for some people, it's not bullshit as you defined it, nor it deserves to be laughed at. I talked to you in a civilised manner and I asked for a clarification and if you want to laugh at someone look at yourself in the mirror and do it. Don't bother replying as I don't enjoy exchanges in these terms.

Well said.

1 hour ago, canerandagio said:

Excuse me but I'll reply when I wish to - you are not the arbiter of that.

And, you used the term BS about the OA Visa requirements.

I used the term "half the BS" about your process compared to starting with an O Visa (which you knew nothing about)!