Trump says he 'would apologise' for sharing British far-right videos

rooster59

Trump says he 'would apologise' for sharing British far-right videos

By Guy Faulconbridge

800x800 (6).jpg

U.S. President Donald Trump walks in a corridor after a meeting during the World Economic Forum (WEF) annual meeting in Davos, Switzerland January 25, 2018. REUTERS/Denis Balibouse

LONDON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said he had not intended to cause offence in Britain by sharing anti-Muslim videos originally posted by a leader of a far-right fringe group, and that he would apologise if such people were horrible racists.

Trump told ITV's Good Morning Britain show he knew nothing about the group but that he was the "least racist person that anybody's going to meet" and that his retweet was not an endorsement.

Trump sparked outrage in Britain when he shared the anti-Muslim videos last November and became embroiled in a public spat with British PM Theresa May who criticised him for the retweet.

When pressed on whether he would apologise for his retweet, Trump said that if the group was made up of racists then he would.

"Here's what's fair, if you're telling me they're horrible people, horrible racist people, I would certainly apologise if you would like me to do that," Trump said.

"I know nothing about them. I don’t want to be involved with (these) people, but you're telling me about these people because I know nothing about these people."

Jayda Fransen, deputy leader of anti-immigration Britain First, posted the videos which she said showed a group of people who were Muslims beating a teenage boy to death, battering a boy on crutches and destroying a Christian statue.

Fransen on Friday said believed Trump had been "railroaded" into making an apology and said it was she who was due an apology for being described as a racist.

MILITANT ATTACKS

"The British establishment is trying to censor the president of the United States," she told journalists after a court appearance in Belfast related to allegations that a speech she made about Muslims was "intended or likely to stir up hatred".

Relations between the two nations, described as "the special relationship", have faced several ups and downs not just due to Trump's criticism of May, but also his spats with London Mayor Sadiq Khan and his comments on militant attacks in Britain.

Earlier this month, he cancelled a trip to London to open a new embassy, saying he did not want to endorse a bad deal agreed by the Obama administration to sell the old one for "peanuts".

Some Britons are angry at the prospect of a visit by Trump with large protests expected when he does arrive, most probably in the second half of the year according to a senior British government source.

Officials are discussing whether Trump will be given a state visit, which means he will be hosted by Queen Elizabeth, and when exactly it will take place, the source said.

In the interview aired on Friday, Trump said he loved Britain very much and got along well with May.

"I can tell you I have a very good relationship with your Prime Minister," Trump said. "She's been doing a very good job. We actually have a very good relationship, although a lot of people think we don't."

"I support her, I support a lot of what she does and a lot of what she says and I support you militarily very much. We will come to your defence if anything should happen, which hopefully will never happen. I am a tremendous supporter of the UK."

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-01-27

1 hour ago, keith101 said:

Did this fake President actually apologise or only say he would as he is the biggest liar ever seen in the White House . 

Yep, it's beyond belief that after his retweet and the subsequent uproar he was not briefed on the veracity of the content or Britain First

Like a bratty 9 year old,  he thinks: just broaching the subject of apologizing will make it all better.  

Note to Trump: If you start WWIII in Asia or the M.East due to one of your conniption fits, ....it won't matter much when, a few weeks later, you say you're sorry.  The damage will have been done.

Addendum: When Trump fired Comey, he was on his own, without any babysitters/handlers nearby.  That should be a lesson to Kerry and all his other enablers/handlers:  don't let Trump be alone anywhere, ....certainly not alone with his tweeting mobile phone or 'The Football' (with which he can launch nukes all by himself).   The man cannot be allowed to do anything on his own.  He's too stupid and dangerous.  

49 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

Like a bratty 9 year old,  he thinks: just broaching the subject of apologizing will make it all better.  

Note to Trump: If you start WWIII in Asia or the M.East due to one of your conniption fits, ....it won't matter much when, a few weeks later, you say you're sorry.  The damage will have been done.

Addendum: When Trump fired Comey, he was on his own, without any babysitters/handlers nearby.  That should be a lesson to Kerry and all his other enablers/handlers:  don't let Trump be alone anywhere, ....certainly not alone with his tweeting mobile phone or 'The Football' (with which he can launch nukes all by himself).   The man cannot be allowed to do anything on his own.  He's too stupid and dangerous.  

Its gets tiring reading all these abusive messages about Trump .

But , But he said ,  he did ,hes going  to .

I know, Ive heard it all before , everyday for a year

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Its gets tiring reading all these abusive messages about Trump .

But , But he said ,  he did ,hes going  to .

I know, Ive heard it all before , everyday for a year

In which case you'd better stop reading threads about Trump. Because due to his actions and inactions it will be negative threads.

14 minutes ago, sanemax said:

He offered an apology 

" "Here's what's fair, if you're telling me they're horrible people, horrible racist people, I would certainly apologise if you would like me to do that," Trump said. "

No, not an apology.

trump could learn a thing or two about the art of apologizing, but of course we all know he won't. He's beyond learning anything new about anything. What do people expect from the fake author of "Art of the Deal" that correct title should have been Art of the Con Man?

Now here's how to apologize --

23 minutes ago, stevenl said:

" "Here's what's fair, if you're telling me they're horrible people, horrible racist people, I would certainly apologise if you would like me to do that," Trump said. "

No, not an apology.

It was an offer of an apology 

14 minutes ago, sanemax said:

His so called apology sounds perfunctory to me. Why do you need someone to ask you to apologize? If you genuinely feel what you did was wrong, then your own conscience should tell you to say sorry, not merely to pay lip service to others' requests.

He won't say anything further about this. In trump world, that was the best he can do as far as a so called apology. Let's get real, the only reason he said what he did say was a lame attempt at reducing the level of protests when he visits the U.K. He knows the important part of his U.S. base that identifies as white supremacist and Islamophobic realizes it was not a real apology and  that he never will give a real apology, so it had the double political purpose as yet another dog whistle to the most disgusting and most racist part of his loyal hard core base.

Edited by Jingthing

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

Piers Morgan said would you now apologise for the tweets, I think that would help a lot.  When Trump countered with his pathetic response Morgan should have pressed him but Morgan is an old friend of Donald's and I am sure that the whole thing was rehearsed.

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

The fact that all you can do to justify Trump's behavior is repeat the mantra "It was an offer of apology" belies the fact that you know his offer was insincere tokenism.

Piers Morgan said would you now apologise for the tweets, I think that would help a lot.  When Trump countered with his pathetic response Morgan should have pressed him but Morgan is an old friend of Donald's and I am sure that the whole thing was rehearsed.

Not sure it was rehearsed. trump seems to come up with such stuff naturally. It's well understood he sees any apology no matter how much deserved as weakness. Anyway, he is not sorry and anyone that buys that he is is very naive. White supremacist, hyper nationalist, and Islamophobic ideology is right in his lane whether in the US, UK, Poland, or Hungary etc.  

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

34 minutes ago, dexterm said:

The fact that all you can do to justify Trump's behavior is repeat the mantra "It was an offer of apology" belies the fact that you know his offer was insincere tokenism.

Are you saying that Trump would not have then  given a formal apology, had the reporter asked him to do so ?   That is just your assumption and a guess

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Are you saying that Trump would not have then  given a formal apology, had the reporter asked him to do so ?   That is just your assumption and a guess

The point on which you are so desperately tying to split hairs to atoms, is that he did not make an apology.

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

That wasn't a reporter, it was Piers Morgan, an old friend of Trumps.  Any reporter worth their salt would have pushed for an apology but that was never going to happen with Morgan.  I believe the whole thing was contrived.