PHOTOS: Qatar Airways’ first direct non-stop flight between Doha - Pattaya

Jonathan Fairfield

5 hours ago, Bastos60 said:

at least it is for all the airlines I have flown with in Europe.

And which ones are they please, so that I can avoid them.

5 hours ago, Bastos60 said:

there is still far less business for one-way trips from Thailand to Europe then there is from Europe to Thailand, that is the logic you clearly are missing

So does that mean , logically, that all the one way passengers from Europe to Thailand are still in Thailand.

19 hours ago, wgdanson said:

So does that mean , logically, that all the one way passengers from Europe to Thailand are still in Thailand.

Lots of backpackers and other type of tourists travel on a one way ticket to Bangkok , and then travel all over SE-Asia for months. 

25 minutes ago, balo said:

Lots of backpackers and other type of tourists travel on a one way ticket to Bangkok , and then travel all over SE-Asia for months. 

25 minutes ago, balo said:

And just as many enter SE Asia via KL or Vietnam or Cambodia or Laos, and go back to their home country from Bangkok.

2 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

And just as many enter SE Asia via KL or Vietnam or Cambodia or Laos, and go back to their home country from Bangkok

Bangkok is a far more popular destination for travelers. Often the starting point of a long trip . Also more airlines focus on Bangkok so  easier to find budget tickets to Bangkok. 

15 hours ago, balo said:

Bangkok is a far more popular destination for travelers. Often the starting point of a long trip . Also more airlines focus on Bangkok so  easier to find budget tickets to Bangkok. 

BKK to LHR is cheaper than LHR to BKK on EVA, 8000 vs 14000 Bht

• 2 months later...

As far as I know UTP has no lounge at all of any type. It does have a sort of cafe though.

Personally I think that this destination is a complete white elephant for Qatar and I expect them to discontinue it before long. I would not choose to fly business class from UTP unless the price was significantly lower than a similar ticket from BKK.

• Like 2

On 31/01/2018 at 7:53 PM, Bastos60 said:

One-way flights are always more expensive  on direct flights because it means for the airline the seat is empty on a flight returning which usually doesn't get filled.

Maybe on charter to Majorca but definately not on a scheduled flight from BKK.

About 5 years ago I needed to go back to the UK and I had no idea how long I would be gone so I needed a one way fare.

One way BKK-MAN was £640. So I booked a return from MAN-BKK for £380  leaving MAN on a Thursday and returning on Saturday. Of course I was a no show for the outward flight.

On 1/30/2018 at 12:12 PM, Jerry780 said:

Booked Business Class return to LHR for the end of next month for 1400GBP with a flexi on the return doubling the price. Still a bargain to the 3200GBP I paid for my mother last month. Don't think they have a Business lounge in Utapao though!!

I have had very good experiencez at UTP now named Rayong Airport.  It's expanded beyond all recognition since I first used in 2008 when the Yellow Shirt terrorists occupied the main Bangkok Airport. However it is getting busier...it does flights to China, Russia UK and internal flights...I use it when ever I can. it's a small friendly airport and staff sought me out to remind me to check in and helped me with.my heavy bag when I was getting sozzled in the bar.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, johng said:

So they fly U-tapao - Heathrow ?

yep via doha the last time I checked because that will likely be my route back for a holiday next year - if they get a lounge ..

Timings were good with only a short stopover....But I haven't checked in a while..

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 4:58 PM, Bastos60 said:

Just a pity that for the price I have a layover in Doha of up to 28 hours for flights to Utapao even though there are daily flights from the airport I fly from.

You could visit Mecca for a day out.  

• Haha 1

So they fly U-tapao - Heathrow ?

No. You fly from UTP to Doha, where you change to another plane. Just as you would if you flew with Qatar from BKK.

For scheduling reasons the connection times in Doha can be very long when travelling to/from Europe/UTP, unlike flights to/from Europe/BKK which seem to have much shorter connection times in Doha.

But as a bonus, you can currently combine that long connection with a free night in a decent hotel in Qatar. https://discoverqatar.qatarairways.com/us-en/plusqatar

I really don't get this clamour for using ME airlines such as Qatar. Having to stop off and change planes is bad enough. But having to stop off in such a repressive country on the way to LOS must make it even worse.

What am I missing? Is it simply a value for money thing?

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

I really don't get this clamour for using ME airlines such as Qatar. Having to stop off and change planes is bad enough. But having to stop off in such a repressive country on the way to LOS must make it even worse.

What am I missing? Is it simply a value for money thing?

When I've used them it's been all about the cost. They do some decent deals during times like Songran when the direct flights tend to get over inflated. Also Qatar planes and service are decent. 

To consider using them and then staying overnight because of the long connection seems ridiculous to me. Any gain is offset straightaway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johng said:

When they fly directly to Heathrow I'll be interested..and gladly then call it an International airport...at the moment its still a "semi International airport" IMHO

That really is an interesting perception of the definition of an international airport.

If it doesn't fly directly to LHR it is only a "semi international airport" .I think some current "international airports" should review their branding....

Edited by Jeremia Juxtaposed

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2018 at 4:37 PM, Norbert Halfwit said:

Maybe on charter to Majorca but definately not on a scheduled flight from BKK.

About 5 years ago I needed to go back to the UK and I had no idea how long I would be gone so I needed a one way fare.

One way BKK-MAN was £640. So I booked a return from MAN-BKK for £380  leaving MAN on a Thursday and returning on Saturday. Of course I was a no show for the outward flight.

Actually, on charters all seats are prebooked by travel companies. And if seats are available they are made available to the general public. TUIfly is a good example for that. 

But scheduled flights flown by Thai Airways internationally are focused on holidaymakers who do need return flights. They do carry one-way travellers but it is not their focus.

Domestic routes are usually flown with a focus on one-way travellers.

The flight from Qatar to U-Tapao has now got the added bonus of going Via Rangoon!!  Or the flights in August do, as ive just had an email about my booking, doubt il be booking Qatar through Utapao ever again..

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, McGregor21 said:

The flight from Qatar to U-Tapao has now got the added bonus of going Via Rangoon!!  Or the flights in August do, as ive just had an email about my booking, doubt il be booking Qatar through Utapao ever again..

Does it effect your connection and arrival time?

That is shocking if it does...

1 hour ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

Does it effect your connection and arrival time?

That is shocking if it does...

No not really, the flight does leave a bit earlier from Doha. And approx 1 hr of wait time at Rangoon. Would assume no one will be allowed off the plane if there final destination is U-Tapao. Already asked to change to a Bangkok flight but was told no from the Bangkok ticket office and given a Qatar email address which deals with complaints.. not expecting any thing helpful to come out of that.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, McGregor21 said:

No not really, the flight does leave a bit earlier from Doha. And approx 1 hr of wait time at Rangoon. Would assume no one will be allowed off the plane if there final destination is U-Tapao. Already asked to change to a Bangkok flight but was told no from the Bangkok ticket office and given a Qatar email address which deals with complaints.. not expecting any thing helpful to come out of that.

Thanks for the reply..

My concern would be if anything changed with arrival time at LHR as I am limited with choice of National coaches departure times...

Also, having flown several times out of Yangon , I'd say there is bugger all there to keep you "entertained" for an hour but also sitting on a plane with no wine service or in flight entertainment or toilets(??) for an hour aint much fun either..

I shall keep an eye on this thread to see how things develop...but please remember that in your discomfort and pain you are doing all of us a great service ....what courage and selflessness you have <Insert your National Anthem here> !!!!

• 2 months later...

OK, got back last week from the trip home. Flying Utapao - Qatar - Edinburgh. Business Class

So as expected no lounge in Utapao, This was 15th July and we left from the old building, but we were given $25 each in Qatar Duty free vouchers. Cheers free bottle of Brandy. ( On the way back we were brought in through the new terminal, So maybe a lounge in there)

The flight from Utapao, there were 16 of us who got on at Pattaya,,,So quick to check in, quick to board etc.,the service at our end was excellent, basically we had our own stewardess  ,  the flight had just come from Rangoon and economy looked about 50% full so i bet a good flight in economy also. 

Qatar to Edinburgh, food or service not nearly as good as the Utapao to Qatar, could understand that the service might drop as BC on this section was full, but we were disappointed with the food, almost like flying two different airlines in the level of quality...i would have said maybe just a bad day for them, but on the way back it was the same..Edinburgh to Qatar..maybe 6 out of 10, Qatar to Utapao,  9 out of 10 for the food..strange..

It was a lot quicker for us than going to Bangkok, as the queues for immigration and check in were non existent , same with baggage and immigration on the way back. 45 minutes from Jomtien..not to bad

Would i fly this again..maybe..if the price was right, but i doubt it will be that low again..

Edited by McGregor21
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1