After year of bitter feuds, Trump urges bipartisan cooperation

webfact

By Steve Holland and Jeff Mason

2018-01-31T024113Z_1_LYNXMPEE0U03Y_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP.JPG

U.S. President Donald Trump waves as he arrives to deliver his first State of the Union address to a joint session of Congress inside the House Chamber on Capitol Hill in Washington, U.S., January 30, 2018. REUTERS/Win McNamee/Pool

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump on Tuesday urged bitterly divided Republicans and Democrats to work toward compromises on immigration and infrastructure after a bruising year of partisan battles that centred on Trump's leadership.

"Tonight, I call upon all of us to set aside our differences, to seek out common ground, and to summon the unity we need to deliver for the people we were elected to serve," Trump said in his first State of the Union address, delivered in the chamber of the House of Representatives.

Trump used the speech, given annually by presidents to Congress, to try to overcome doubts about his presidency at a time when he is battling a probe into his campaign's alleged ties with Russia and suffering low job approval ratings. The speech was short on details of his policy proposals.

While Trump called for bipartisanship, evidence of the deep divide between the parties was clear. Republican lawmakers cheered wildly at the president's applause lines, while Democrats often sat in their seats silently.

Whether Trump would follow through on his appeal for bipartisan harmony was far from clear. Trump’s past attempts at a unifying message have been undermined by rancorous tweets and divisive statements that have angered Democrats and frequently annoyed lawmakers in his own Republican Party.

The unity plea will first be put to the test in his drive for a compromise on protecting 1.8 million "Dreamers" - people brought illegally to the country as children - who face a March 5 deadline on whether they can begin to be deported.

Trump said he was "extending an open hand" for an immigration deal and that he would provide Dreamers a pathway to citizenship over 10 to 12 years in exchange for funding for a border wall with Mexico and restrictions on legal immigration.

Trump called his plan a "down-the-middle compromise," but some Democrats booed when he said he wanted to rein in "chain migration," the ability of legal immigrants to bring a wide-ranging number of family members into the country.

"Let's come together, set politics aside and finally get the job done," Trump said.

INFRASTRUCTURE PLAN

Trump took credit for U.S. economic gains including a soaring stock market and a low jobless rate. He boasted about the economic growth he believes will result from tax cuts Republicans pushed through Congress late last year.

"This is our new American moment. There has never been a better time to start living the American Dream," he said.

Trump said he would like a compromise over a plan to rebuild aging roads, bridges and other infrastructure. He said he wanted legislation to generate at least $1.5 trillion through a combination of federal, state and local spending as well as private-sector contributions.

"I am asking both parties to come together to give us the safe, fast, reliable, and modern infrastructure our economy needs and our people deserve," he said.

Trump was calling for the type of cooperation between Republicans and Democrats that has eluded him during a rocky first year in office.

While the rhetoric was often high-flying, Trump provided some reminders of partisan battles over the past year.

He singled out a speech guest, 12-year-old Preston Sharp, for leading an effort to put American flags on the graves of 40,000 veterans, saying the initiative was “why we proudly stand for the national anthem.”

His belittling of National Football League players who refused to stand for the anthem in protest against police shootings of minorities dominated headlines last autumn.

(Additional reporting by Richard Cowan, Susan Cornwell, Amanda Becker and Roberta Rampton; Editing by Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-01-31

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched the speech, and am curious as to comments by TVF members. I have to say that... 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

"Let's come together, set politics aside and finally get the job done," Trump said.

...just flies in the face of two years of extreme, endless partisanship. How can you expect to work in non-partisan manner after "Little Marco" and "Low Energy Jeb" and "Lyin Ted" and "Crooked Hillary" and "Cryin Chuck", etc. etc. etc. I get that there is such a thing as partisan politics and that sometimes it is quite a difficult, intensely personal game. I also get that sometimes in campaigns things are said that make life difficult after the campaign. However, in Trump's case, the name-calling has never stopped and I don't see how or why people would be willing to work with him now. What Republican House member would ever vote again on a health care bill after Trump called their last version, which he supported and campaigned for, "mean"? If he is going to stab his own party members in the back, why would a Democrat trust him?

I watched those words this morning, but honestly all I heard were the petty insults above.

I feel a bit of sadness for Americans after watching that speech; who would trust Trump not to do you in as soon as he is done with you? Who would be willing to work with him? And if that is the case, what hope is there for problem-solving?

Sad times in the USA

I watched the speech and it was like most of the SOTU speeches, pat yourself on the back.  But I think that the two low points were when he politicized the death of the two girls and the death of Otto Wienbier to strengthen his own political agenda.  He had previously done the same thing with the death of John Kelly's son and I really thought that Kelly would quit but that never happened.  I know if it had happened to me, I most likely would not have attended, but if I did  and he did what he did I would have openly challenged him right there and then and walked out.  He does not care about anything or anyone but himself!

56 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I watched the speech, and am curious as to comments by TVF members.

I didn't watch. Nothing short of "I resign" would make me tune in.

On the other hand, I did watch Rep Joe Kennedy's response. Now there was something worthwhile to watch. Kennedy attended Stanford University and Harvard Law School and worked with the Peace Corps in the Dominican Republic. Now that is someone to respect not some reality TV joke.

https://us.cnn.com/2018/01/30/politics/joe-kennedy-state-of-the-union-response/index.html

10 minutes ago, Silurian said:

I didn't watch. Nothing short of "I resign" would make me tune in.

On the other hand, I did watch Rep Joe Kennedy's response. Now there was something worthwhile to watch. Kennedy attended Stanford University and Harvard Law School and worked with the Peace Corps in the Dominican Republic. Now that is someone to respect not some reality TV joke.

https://us.cnn.com/2018/01/30/politics/joe-kennedy-state-of-the-union-response/index.html

I also watched the Kennedy rebuttal  and agree that it was worthwhile and respectful.

1 hour ago, Luckysilk said:

Absolutely hilarious the idiotic Dems sitting on their hands like a bunch of spoiled brats.

I wonder where they got that from? Sum Num Na to the republicans. It's all well and good when they do everything they can to obstruct Obama but now that they are in power they want to get along?

They openly came out and said they were going to go against anything Obama tried to do, that is shameful and they have no business calling themselves patriotic.

Rejecting the first responders bill was a classic example. They couldn't just do the right thing out of spite. Screw them!!!

You reap what you sow.

I hope the power shifts after the bi-elections. Watch the reps start crying then. They can blame it on Russian meddling then.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Better still if all the Republicans were to join force with the Democrats and rid the US of a President who is a menace to not just America but the whole world...

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Let's come together, set politics aside and finally get the job done," Trump said.

Trump never thought that he had a chance of winning and was really surprised when the final electoral college vote was confirmed.   Here he was a lying , cheating, scumbag, slum lord, crook and he was president of the US.  He had a unique chance of possibly being an excellent President, but he blew it! The first thing that he should have done was get Pelosi, Ryan, McConnel and Schumer in a room and admit that he didn't have a clue what he was doing and tell them that they would have to work together to come up up a plan  to go forward and he would back it, but the Dems and GOP would have to work together and introduce bills that addressed the issues of both the Dems and GOP. But no, he attacked Obama Care and rather than  addressing necessary changes to improve it he had to "REPEAL AND REPLACE" it and  that went down in a flaming fiasco.   I really think that he believes that if he shot Pelosi and Schumer between the eyes he would get away with it as the GOP would back him and say that it was self defense.  He has really made a joke out of the legislative and judicial systems of the US in pursuit of his agenda, MAKE TRUMP LOOK GOOD!.

2 hours ago, simple1 said:

The President can't stop spreading misinformation, does so even during the SOTU. Trump is his own worst enemy, constantly eroding his credibility.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/30/us/politics/fact-check-sotu.html

From reading the article it shows that nearly every statement was true, then followed with it was misleading or it was an exaggeration, but back to the point the article mostly says true.

The speech was the work of his advisor Stephen Miller with inputs from John Kelly.  It was obvious in how he used the tragic situations of the people that were invited to strengthen his proposed policies without any regard to their feelings.  It was classic Miller, a professed white supremacist.

19 minutes ago, alien365 said:

From reading the article it shows that nearly every statement was true, then followed with it was misleading or it was an exaggeration, but back to the point the article mostly says true.

Re-read

10 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Re-read

It's mostly true, but, true, but.  Which still means that most of the things quoted are true. Personally I feel that a president should always tell the truth, so even one lie is not good enough, but that's politicians for you.

28 minutes ago, alien365 said:

It's mostly true, but, true, but.  Which still means that most of the things quoted are true. Personally I feel that a president should always tell the truth, so even one lie is not good enough, but that's politicians for you.

Actually not so. If you're interested to a search on "Here is a guide to 18 claims, in the order in which Trump made them"

13 minutes ago, midas said:

He says that America now has the lowest unemployment rate ever regarding African-Americans.

Is this true and how did they achieve this?

What specific policy has Trump enacted to assist with African American employment - none?

"The African American unemployment rate has been on a relatively steady decline since it hit a peak of 16.8 percent in March, 2010, during the Great Recession. The rate had already fallen to 7.7 percent when Trump took the oath of office — it is now 6.8 percent — so Trump taking credit for this is like a rooster thinking the sun came up because he crowed".

Edited by simple1

3 hours ago, wayned said:

Trump never thought that he had a chance of winning and was really surprised when the final electoral college vote was confirmed.   Here he was a lying , cheating, scumbag, slum lord, crook and he was president of the US.  He had a unique chance of possibly being an excellent President, but he blew it! The first thing that he should have done was get Pelosi, Ryan, McConnel and Schumer in a room and admit that he didn't have a clue what he was doing and tell them that they would have to work together to come up up a plan  to go forward and he would back it, but the Dems and GOP would have to work together and introduce bills that addressed the issues of both the Dems and GOP. But no, he attacked Obama Care and rather than  addressing necessary changes to improve it he had to "REPEAL AND REPLACE" it and  that went down in a flaming fiasco.   I really think that he believes that if he shot Pelosi and Schumer between the eyes he would get away with it as the GOP would back him and say that it was self defense.  He has really made a joke out of the legislative and judicial systems of the US in pursuit of his agenda, MAKE TRUMP LOOK GOOD!.

and Trump comes first. 

"Trump, his family and closest associates are using the presidency to personally enrich themselves. They view it as a personal ATM, not as a means of serving the public good and the general welfare."

https://www.alternet.org/right-wing/donald-trump-total-love-god-least-his-supporters-how-does-left-fight

Edited by Opl

1 hour ago, midas said:

He says that America now has the lowest unemployment rate ever regarding African-Americans.

Is this true and how did they achieve this?

He didn't achieve it. It's the result of the efforts of his predecessor.

Same with all the other things he is happy to gloat about. He's been lucky his entire life. Right place, right time. Still happening.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I won't watch it. I know it's total bs and full of lies like everything that comes out of his mouth. I saw a funny headline analysis of the speech - - trump wonders why he can't unite the country that he divides.

Bingo!

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Related image

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

He might get a temporary bounce from such a speech for a few weeks but the fundamental horrible aspects of his ridiculous presidency remain. Bring on the midterms!

How 'bout that Joe Kennedy?!?

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Trump and Joe Kennedy do not belong to the same species, Trump is a Raptor, Joe Kennedy is " a young person with vision and hope. Democrats have their message, and they are ready to come after the Trump darkness with the light and hope that America needs."

http://www.politicususa.com/2018/01/30/star-born-joseph-kennedy-iii-nailed-sotu-response-trump.html

YES!

3 hours ago, alien365 said:

FactChecking Trump’s State of the Union

"The president exaggerates his accomplishments in his address to Congress. President Donald Trump’s first State of the Union address was filled with several repeat claims about the economy, tax cuts and immigration that we’ve fact-checked before, as well as new false and misleading statements on auto plants, judicial appointments and development aid."

https://www.factcheck.org/2018/01/factchecking-trumps-state-union/