home made mayo

overherebc

Got fed up with the bought mayo that always tastes of too much vinegar or the other crap that's full of sugar.

Easy way to make without any effort as follows.

1 whole egg.

1 good pinch of salt.

1 cup of cooking/olive oil, up to you.

Juice from 1 big lime.

1 stick grinder and a heavy glass container slightly wider than the stick grinder and at least 8 inches tall.

Whole egg ( at room temperature ) into the container, add salt, pour the oil on top and add the lime juice.

Put in the stick grinder to the bottom and switch on. Slowly raise the grinder over 3 to 4 seconds and you have fresh mayo.

Put in the fridge for a short time before using it the first time.

Keeps for about three days.

If you want add finely chopped capers dill pickes and finely chopped onions for tartar sauce as well.

2 hours ago, grollies said:

Home made always best 

One of the best things about living in Thailand or Japan is Japanese style mayo available at Lotus.  It's called Kewpie Mayo.  They make three different kinds.  Much better than home made in my opinion.  Try it and see.

kewpie.jpg

15 hours ago, xyznot said:

One of the best things about living in Thailand or Japan is Japanese style mayo available at Lotus.  It's called Kewpie Mayo.  They make three different kinds.  Much better than home made in my opinion.  Try it and see.

kewpie.jpg

I'll give it a try, thanks

6 hours ago, overherebc said:

Like all factory made mayo full of salt, preservatives etc etc that's why it lasts so long at home.

The use of mayonnaise for me is limited to once a week with french fries, which I guess is about 10 grams (?), and every few weeks a 3 ham - cheese - egg sandwiches, which I guess involves another 20 gram maximum.

I couldn't care less that there are a few less healthy ingredients in those 10 - 20 grams, and for sure I couldn't be bothered to spend half an hour to make my own.

I buy the cheapest mayonnaise there is, Aro brand at Makro for 72 Baht or so for a 1kg bag, then I buy a 1 liter squeeze bottle for 20 Baht at the local small items shop outside big c.

And honestly for the amount I use I can taste a difference between the double priced stuff like Best foods, Hellmans or Kewpie. Only think I look at is that is has the least amount of sugar content, and i think 1 type of Kewpie in the only mayonnaise that beats it in that.

10 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

The use of mayonnaise for me is limited to once a week with french fries, which I guess is about 10 grams (?), and every few weeks a 3 ham - cheese - egg sandwiches, which I guess involves another 20 gram maximum.

I couldn't care less that there are a few less healthy ingredients in those 10 - 20 grams, and for sure I couldn't be bothered to spend half an hour to make my own.

I buy the cheapest mayonnaise there is, Aro brand at Makro for 72 Baht or so for a 1kg bag, then I buy a 1 liter squeeze bottle for 20 Baht at the local small items shop outside big c.

And honestly for the amount I use I can taste a difference between the double priced stuff like Best foods, Hellmans or Kewpie. Only think I look at is that is has the least amount of sugar content, and i think 1 type of Kewpie in the only mayonnaise that beats it in that.

Everyone to his own mate. I really don't like vinegar on or in anything so making my own is for me the best.

Using a stick blender it does really only take 3 or 4 seconds.

Try a google on mayo with a stick blender, or outboard motor as I call it, and you'll see how little or how much you can make. ??

Just now, overherebc said:

Everyone to his own mate. I really don't like vinegar on or in anything so making my own is for me the best.

Using a stick blender it does really only take 3 or 4 seconds.

Try a google on mayo with a stick blender, or outboard motor as I call it, and you'll see how little or how much you can make. ??

1 whole egg.

1 good pinch of salt.

Juice from 1 big lime.

So you can add all this and clean it up afterwards in 3-4 seconds

8 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

1 whole egg.

1 good pinch of salt.

Juice from 1 big lime.

So you can add all this and clean it up afterwards in 3-4 seconds

The whole process consists of breaking an egg into the jar, add the oil salt lime juice, from our tree, stick the 'stick blender' in and switch on for a few seconds. It really is that simple.

I didn't believe it until I tried it.

One jar and one blender rinsed under the tap, finished. ?

On 2/1/2018 at 9:04 PM, overherebc said:

The whole process consists of breaking an egg into the jar, add the oil salt lime juice, from our tree, stick the 'stick blender' in and switch on for a few seconds. It really is that simple.

I didn't believe it until I tried it.

One jar and one blender rinsed under the tap, finished. ?

I used to

I used to make mine but I like Japanese mayo better. 

On 1/31/2018 at 5:59 AM, xyznot said:

kewpie.jpg

I like the kind without sugar, but, to me, the Hellman's/ Best Foods is just as good.

Archived