UK and EU set for clash over citizens' rights during transition

webfact

UK and EU set for clash over citizens' rights during transition

By William James

2018-01-31T220656Z_1_LYNXMPEE0U1QO_RTROPTP_4_CHINA-BRITAIN.JPG

British Prime Minister Theresa May speaks during the inaugural meeting of the UK-China CEO Council at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, China January 31, 2018. REUTERS/Mark Schiefelbein/Pool

WUHAN, China (Reuters) - Prime Minister Theresa May has warned that European citizens arriving in Britain after Brexit next year may lose some rights, setting up a clash with the European Union over their treatment during any transition period.

Curbing immigration was a key reason why Britons voted to leave the EU in 2016, following a large influx of EU citizens, especially from poorer countries in eastern Europe.

The European Union has warned Britain that it must accept all decisions of the trading bloc and that its citizens should be able to secure full residence rights during the two-year transition period after it leaves the bloc.

But May has suggested EU citizens coming to Britain after March next year will be treated differently.

"People who had come to the UK when we were a member of the EU had set up certain expectations - they made a life choice and set up certain expectation," May told reporters on her way to China.

"I'm clear there's a difference between those people who came prior to us leaving and those who will come when they know the UK is no longer a member of the EU."

This is one potential obstacle Britain and the EU will need to resolve to reach a transitional deal, which will give the two sides time to prepare for the far-reaching impact of the end of 46 years of union.

Many Brexit backers are voicing concern that the referendum result may be betrayed with the plan to change little of the current relationship immediately after Britain formally leaves on March 29, 2019.

But May dismissed some of those concerns.

"They did not vote for nothing to change when we come out of the EU," she said. "What we're doing now is doing the job that the British people asked the government to do which is to deliver on Brexit."

(Additional reporting By Andrew MacAskill; editing by Stephen Addison)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-02-01

The EU is a corrupt vehicle for the French and Germans, especially through the common currency nonsense that followed the ERM.  France and Germany continue to control the EU to the detriment of the other nations economies even though Germany is contributing the most to the budget.  The economic gains of the stronger nations dwarf any contributions at the expense of the poorer members.  It has been a deceitful, lying path from the original free trade area to what is really a political coup engineered by Delores and his mates in a drive to Federal Europe which is now freely admitted.  Why we are giving the EU the grace of trying to negotiate a deal where there are 27 other nations looking to minimise any effect on budget and maximise any opportunity they can wrangle from any deal, is quite beyond me.  The idea that the EU is somehow an 'all for one, one for all' coming together of nations in a united Europe is complete bull.  Every nation is out for itself as repeatedly demonstrated, most obviously by the French who are fighting to keep even a modicum of esteem and diplomatic value, and the Germans who pursue the economic benefits of the single currency imbalances to screw as much benefit to their industry as possible.  

The UK should join with the Scandinavians and start up an apolitical free trade area for the rest to join as it all comes crumbling down around the ECB which will stand holding the bonds of the various countries it has bought whilst trying to consolidate as much power as possible through a balance sheet so large it creates itself.  Draghi's dream.

I have 2 Brit friends who recently successfully applied for resident status in Spain and Portugal respectively. This is after knowing Brexit would occur. Hopefully the EU will reverse their statuses in a similar vein as May intends to do with Europeans seeking residency in the UK after Brexit was announced.

5 hours ago, meinphuket said:

I have 2 Brit friends who recently successfully applied for resident status in Spain and Portugal respectively. This is after knowing Brexit would occur. Hopefully the EU will reverse their statuses in a similar vein as May intends to do with Europeans seeking residency in the UK after Brexit was announced.

Well that wouldn't be like for like would it?  At the moment any EU citizen can apply to the UK for resident status.  I am looking at maybe doing the same in Spain. After we have left the EU in March 2019 that will change but until then the playing field is level.

I think that it is perfectly fair that May rejects the rights to settle for EU subjects during the transition period as at that time we will have lost our seat at the table.  I suspect this has been proposed to see just how far the EU negotiators can push it.  I expect that now May will start to fight back over some of the issues. She knows that a challenge to her premiership is a real possibility and she is facing massive criticism over her weak negotiating stance.