New Ford Ranger, what can I haggle for free?

4 minutes ago, Caps said:

I picked up mine in Dec, got the Window awnings, blackend windows, wheel arch covers, short antenna,, front and rear light covers, umberella (because i could) 1 year 1st class insurance, all thrown in and 70,000 baht off. 

Cash or finance? 

37 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Regardless of the lift kit being of reputable origin, the warranty will be voided. Even changing out the OEM lighting to LED's will get you a warning when you take it in for service or any under-warranty BCM resets due to the LED's and Ford's CANBUS electrical architecture talking different languages (usually results in loss of low-beams or error warning on the dashboard).

Wildtrak comes with stock 18" rims but most owners ditch those after they've bought it and replace rims and rubber. There's a bigger selection of 'bigger tires' that can go on 17" (and smaller) rims than there are of 'bigger tires' that can go on 18" rims. Basically, you get more options for an aggressive, off-road look without a suspension lift with the smaller rims. That's why a helluva lot of unimaginative Ranger owner/operators in LOS have BF Goodrich's on black, 15" rims. Some go up to 20" rims shod with low-profile rubbers rather than the hiked-up, faux off-road look. I think the soon-to-be released pseudo-Raptor would look good with 20" rims from the Everest and stock rubber... but that's just me.

Back on topic, the dealer won't do a tire/rim swap on the concourse unless his brother-in-law at the local rim and tire shop has made a sweet deal. No dealer will install a lift-kit for the aforementioned warranty issues but if you don't care about the warranty, the dealer can probably refer you to a shop that will do the business.

Standard dealership freebies are interior mats, window tint, plastic side-window wind deflector garbage, rubbish scuff-plates for the door sills, maybe a plastic rear bed-liner (the WT has that as standard) and a tank of diesel. The OEM accessories can vary too and not all are in the brochure. If the dealership has a display cabinet of accessories, you may be able to get a deal on something handy like a spare wheel lock rather than a snorkel. They may also offer 12 months of free, first-class insurance. If you are lucky and you already have insurance coverage with the same company, it makes the eventual renewal a lot easier; otherwise you still need to shop around for a better deal 12 months later. If I can get a better deal (lower premium) with an existing insurer, I tell the dealership to take the free insurance carrot away and offer something worthwhile... like cash discount but only got that once. If buying on finance, the finance company will typically have an opinion on how any owner-provided insurance coverage compares with their preferred carrier. Cash is king of course.

Good luck.

Good info esp on the wheels

I think low profile road tyres on a 20" wheel would be the best way to go

All terrain tyres on the 15" wheel look cool but I doubt they'll perform well 

I talked to someone a long time ago who did it and he said they made the ride more noisy, the car also got more thirsty and they wear out faster so there is not much benefit aside from looking cool

5 hours ago, speedtripler said:

But at least they have the snorkel and the bigger wheels ....

Now we're making progress lol  :thumbsup:

Over 25K for the ford snorkel (if I recall from their website)...no thanks lol. Isn't a safari snorkel about 6K baht?

1 hour ago, speedtripler said:

Might get  more if you call them after the raptor or  ranger with the new  ecoblue engines is available 

Yes, and I might get more if I pay them a visit. Your point is?

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

Over 25K for the ford snorkel (if I recall from their website)...no thanks lol. Isn't a safari snorkel about 6K baht?

Plan on playing submarine ? Check where the air filter inlet is - usually above the front bumper. No need to drive in water this deep - unless you are in the navy.

18 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Plan on playing submarine ? Check where the air filter inlet is - usually above the front bumper. No need to drive in water this deep - unless you are in the navy.

Nope but have you seen how some roads flood in Bkk in the wet season? Fortunately, I don't go to most of these areas, but where I do would easily drown my honda civic. 800 of wading depth would be enough; no snorkel needed. 

18 hours ago, DavisH said:

Too bad their website is out of date. Click on the Everest link lol. Better to visit the showroom.

Nowt bad about it, telephone and showroom is still the same which is why I added it

Archived