British minister preparing to resign and denounce PM May - Sun newspaper

webfact

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Major + great leader does not belong in the same sentence.

I am old enough to remember his time as PM.

I am old enough to remember him too but I had to go to Wikipedia to find out anything about him.

I cannot remember much about his premiership other than I think he used to be called the grey man.

40 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

You have a good point, I'll give you that! 

Correction: the pound should firm up. I believe it will, because the FX market is heavily discounting GBP in case of a disastrous deal with the EU, and zero benefits from leaving. So as Yazz once said, the only way is up! (in my opinion)

I think you are mistaken on sterling. The markets are currently discounting a soft Brexit deal. Sterling goes down on a hard Brexit.

53 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I am old enough to remember him too but I had to go to Wikipedia to find out anything about him.

I cannot remember much about his premiership other than I think he used to be called the grey man.

Thatcher forced out by her own Party (ring any bells?) after screwing up big time on the Poll Tax. Major emerged as the safe pair of hands, but couldn't do anything to stop New Labour at the 1997 General Election.

Edited by SheungWan

23 hours ago, malagateddy said:

Sheung wan..most of my mates here are cockneys..they also say that London is now a slum clearance due to immigration

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

A few decades ago my grandmother was dying in an London east end hospital - and so for a week or so I left work every day to visit her, via the tube and a bus journey.  I was genuinely shocked (and embarrassingly, a bit frightened) that I was pretty much the only 'white face' on the bus.

I'd vaguely noticed during previous visits (when driving through various areas) that there were few 'whites' around, but it was unimportant as (in those days) there was little race/religious animosity - except from the racist few.

On 03/02/2018 at 4:43 PM, SheungWan said:

The populist hard right and populist hard left are both disaster areas. Try another thought. Oh, and by the way, did I tell you about the time Jacob Rees-Mogg went canvassing with his nanny?

From the pages of QI - must be true ...

When canvassing he was infuriated when leafleting the streets of central Fife because he was assisted by his nanny [many citizens of Fife mocked him]. His reply was: "Well, I do wish you wouldn't keep going on about my nanny. If I had a valet, you'd think it was perfectly normal!"

17 hours ago, SheungWan said:

I think you are mistaken on sterling. The markets are currently discounting a soft Brexit deal. Sterling goes down on a hard Brexit.

I think you're wrong, but you're entitled to your opinion. And that's all we have at this stage - opinions (not facts)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I think you're wrong, but you're entitled to your opinion. And that's all we have at this stage - opinions (not facts)

But the minister around whom this thread started - should surely be a fact by now, rather than just a rumour - for some reason quoted as a new thread??

Edited by dick dasterdly

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

But the minister around whom this thread started - should surely be a fact by now, rather than just a rumour - for some reason quoted as a new thread??

Good question.  Could it be Anna Soubry? She had a proper anti-Brexit rant yesterday, including personal insults to Boris and JRM. But it is strange the mysterious minister in the story that started this thread has not been revealed.

7 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

A few decades ago my grandmother was dying in an London east end hospital - and so for a week or so I left work every day to visit her, via the tube and a bus journey.  I was genuinely shocked (and embarrassingly, a bit frightened) that I was pretty much the only 'white face' on the bus.

I'd vaguely noticed during previous visits (when driving through various areas) that there were few 'whites' around, but it was unimportant as (in those days) there was little race/religious animosity - except from the racist few.

Pathetic and hopeless illustration of Brexiteer mentality.

Edited by SheungWan

On 2/6/2018 at 10:47 PM, SheungWan said:

6 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Not so. Make an effort to follow the FX markets and commentary. There is no one in the markets who has discounted hard brexit. And stop plucking opinions out of thin air.

31 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Not so. Make an effort to follow the FX markets and commentary. There is no one in the markets who has discounted hard brexit. And stop plucking opinions out of thin air.

I've spent more than 30 years in financial markets - but thanks for the advice.

Commentary is opinion.

"There is no one in the markets who has discounted hard brexit." This is like saying "everybody has bought Bitcoin".

Let's agree to disagree, because we're veering off topic.

• Like 1

Though the details are correct this is not really anything new, indeed identifying JRM as a shareholder of Somerset Asset Management without mentioning that he was one of it’s founders back in 2007 seems a bit disingenuous of the article.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Orac said:

Though the details are correct this is not really anything new, indeed identifying JRM as a shareholder of Somerset Asset Management without mentioning that he was one of it’s founders back in 2007 seems a bit disingenuous of the article.

Much in the same way that pushing the nation towards Brexit without revealing one's financial interests in the outcome is surely the political equivalent of insider trading? 

• Thanks 1

Much in the same way that pushing the nation towards Brexit without revealing one's financial interests in the outcome is surely the political equivalent of insider trading? 

The problem with that argument is that he has declared this and it is common knowledge - there was a similar article in The Guardian last year I seem to recall and his involvement with Somerset is a matter of public record.

The sad fact is that the vast majority of ‘haves’ who sit on both sides of Brexit have both domestic and overseas investments along with offshore bank accounts and will probably do very well out of Brexit.

By moving discussion about JRM onto his money, something that is very obvious and well known about, it diverts attention from his political beliefs, affiliations and unsound economic theories. It seems to be almost Trumpesque the way time is not given to actually look at his statements/behaviour before it is moved on to the next thing and we have gone from him effectively lying in the HoC with his staged question last week (though couched in enough insinuation to wriggle out of it) to the ridiculous performance in Bristol to now this article which is old news but shifting the focus again.

1 minute ago, Orac said:

The problem with that argument is that he has declared this and it is common knowledge - there was a similar article in The Guardian last year I seem to recall and his involvement with Somerset is a matter of public record.

The sad fact is that the vast majority of ‘haves’ who sit on both sides of Brexit have both domestic and overseas investments along with offshore bank accounts and will probably do very well out of Brexit.

By moving discussion about JRM onto his money, something that is very obvious and well known about, it diverts attention from his political beliefs, affiliations and unsound economic theories. It seems to be almost Trumpesque the way time is not given to actually look at his statements/behaviour before it is moved on to the next thing and we have gone from him effectively lying in the HoC with his staged question last week (though couched in enough insinuation to wriggle out of it) to the ridiculous performance in Bristol to now this article which is old news but shifting the focus again.

I don't disagree in anything that you are pointing out, however I would contest that the vast majority of the public will be mostly, if not wholly, ignorant of his financial arrangements despite his following the rules of disclosure. While I don't suggest that he has done anything illegal, he, like the other main Brexit protagonists, stand to gain more than most by virtue of their being primely placed to benefit,  and also their possible dodging of the pending EU Tax Avoidance directive. If the Brexit campaign had been executed on fair terms, his potential windfall should have been declared because it is surely a key motivating factor for him? By not highlighting this, he is, in my opinion, ethically compromised. 

On 2/6/2018 at 10:47 PM, SheungWan said:

On 2/7/2018 at 4:41 PM, CG1 Blue said:

“The pound is pushing lower as the pendulum shifts from a soft to a hard Brexit,” said Neil Jones, head of hedge fund sales at Mizuho Bank Ltd. “Some suggest a soft Brexit is indeed dead, leaving a hard or a very hard option. The pound should continue to trade lower on the crosses.”

https://tinyurl.com/y8739mt9

On 2/8/2018 at 12:53 PM, Orac said:

What should be mentioned is that Rees-Mogg is a dead ringer for the character Parker in the TV puppet animation series Fireball XL5.

On 2/8/2018 at 7:54 PM, CG1 Blue said:

Let's face it, most high profile campaigners have their own interests at heart, Remainers and Leavers. But they're not going to tell us that. I don't think we should single out JRM for this.

I've read some total rubbish political defences over the years and this one is outstanding rubbish.

Edited by SheungWan

I have been saying for a very long time that the Komodo Cons are not pushing for hard Brexit for altruistic reasons. These creatures are not numpties, they are greedy bastards. They would sell their grandmother and their country if it enriched them a little more. Sadly, it is the main bulk of the pro Brexit lot that will end up paying the price. 

On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 5:37 PM, SheungWan said:
On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 2:47 PM, SheungWan said:

On ‎07‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 8:41 AM, CG1 Blue said:

“The pound is pushing lower as the pendulum shifts from a soft to a hard Brexit,” said Neil Jones, head of hedge fund sales at Mizuho Bank Ltd. “Some suggest a soft Brexit is indeed dead, leaving a hard or a very hard option. The pound should continue to trade lower on the crosses.”

https://tinyurl.com/y8739mt9

And then he goes and posts someone else's opinion. Priceless :laugh:

• Like 2

On 2/12/2018 at 6:35 PM, CG1 Blue said:

And then he goes and posts someone else's opinion. Priceless :laugh:

No, not just subjective opinion plucked out of thin air but analysis based on actual movements in the market from traders. One should learn to differentiate between unsubstantiated opinion and analyses. I have yet to read one substantive position arguing that the markets are currently discounting a hard brexit, not one. Maybe there are one or two in the funny-money websites. In fact the recent strengthening of sterling against a number of currencies is clearly correlated with the statements of the PM and ministers of UK rules harmonisation with the EU post-Brexit at least through a transition period. Whether they can deliver is uncertain, but for now Rees-Mogg one of the leading candidates for knocking out Theresa May is back in his box, though who knows what might pop out this weekend.