Top Ten hard truths of living as an expat in Thailand

webfact

On 2/1/2018 at 4:39 PM, Rc2702 said:

I gotta go and have a browse in Pattaya one day. I never been there. Is it really as bad as it sounds? 

If you have a very elastic sense of humor and aren't stickler for truth it's a quite a show, sort of like watching a terrible movie and enjoying it for being so bad.  When the humor fades it's time to go.

But it is a break from the rest of Thailand, a respite sort of.  I'd recommend staying in a more expat area as opposed to areas chockers with tourist hotels -- the Chinese tourist experience gets old very fast.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't read through this topic in it's entirety because I have a life, and I only scanned the title headings f the article because it's just the same old same old rewritten and rehashed but I felt like posting.

4: BUSINESS IS A CHALLENGE: Frankly this is cobblers. Business is a challenge anywhere in the world, but Thailand is one of the easiest, most freewheeling places to do business, whether you're a Thai or foreigner. Sure, if you have over your cash to some slag you met in a bar to set up a noodle bar you're going nowhere. The reality is that Thailand is full of foreign talent that got rich taking advantage of the opportunities on offer. Setting up a company is straightforward and easy. It really is.

Edited by NilSS

On 2/1/2018 at 6:48 PM, steven100 said:

agree .... but there are some keyboard warrior here who achieve nothing by pounding on their keyboard day in day out just for the sake of moaning. lol

Maybe if there were no complaints, it's because there's nothing to complain about! You call that screwed up? Your to use to corruption, violence and other crimes! Nothing to complain about!.....hmmmm, sounds like heaven to me!

Have you ever registered a company in Thailand, or paid a bribe? It's a sincere question, because I registered 3 and I never paid a Baht in crooked money, I never had anyone offer me crooked money, and I never got threatened with crooked money. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? 

These things, as far as I can see, tend to self perpetuate amongst those that really don't know $h1t. 

Edited by NilSS
  • Haha 1

On 2/2/2018 at 9:53 AM, johnny49r said:

She said she loved me! She said she wants me forever! She said I am the only one! She is soooo sincere, how could this not be true?

Read Steven Leather's 'Private Dancer'. Your experience may vary - but not by much I'm afraid!

A simple truth that embodies the Thai culture: 'No money, no honey'.

So what? Sex costs money, everywhere in the world.

On 8/12/2018 at 3:47 AM, NilSS said:

Have you ever registered a company in Thailand, or paid a bribe? It's a sincere question, because I registered 3 and I never paid a Baht in crooked money, I never had anyone offer me crooked money, and I never got threatened with crooked money. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? 

These things, as far as I can see, tend to self perpetuate amongst those that really don't know $h1t. 

Are they all failures?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There are things I love to hate about Thailand and I know I am free to leave any time.  I'm here by choice and recognize that as a guest of the Kingdom I need to mind my manners and focus on things that matter which is why I came here in the first place.  Let me live in peace and happiness until the end.

On 2/2/2018 at 5:20 AM, Samui Bodoh said:

Good, well-written article that should be given to all who come here for a long stay!

However,

"The 20-something bar girl with the short skirt and fetching smile probably doesn’t love you."

is just plain wrong. They have told me on numerous occasions that they love me and I believe them.

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Retirement visa for Americans is  "a piece of cake"  because of the Amity treaty... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Like 1

The rules change and are made up out of thin air as and when convenient for powerful Thais.  And promises and contracts mean nothing.  Two examples:

1.   You sign a contact to supply product or supplies to a Thai company.  The Thai company requires your strict compliance with the contractual terms, but when you ask that they live up to their end of the bargain by, say, paying what they owne, you become a "difficult Farang" who does not understand Thai ways.  If you go to through the opaque court, you will pay a fortune, the odds will be stacked and it will take 10+ years for the ruling (which will likely be against you). If you go public, the Thai company will press criminal defamation charges against you, and you will be paying enormous sums to simply stay out of prison.  (Hint: best way to avoid this is to have disputes settled by arbitration by a respected international arbitration body).

2.   Thai law may permit you to do something (the language will be clear on this) , and you have been reassured countless times by countless officials that you can safely invest here because they would never expropriate your investment, but on a dime, the law will changed, and your property will be expropriated.  Your complaints will fall on deaf ears because this is Thailand you must follow Thai laws.  But the laws can be retroactively changed at any point if its in the interest of a powerful Thai to do so.   You are not allowed to complain about the change.  See first example.  (Hint: Best way to avoid this is to press your country to enter into a bi-lateral investment treaty providing for international arbitration of investor-state disputes)

Edited by Horace
  • Like 1

On 2/2/2018 at 6:16 AM, Thaiwrath said:

11. Beware of some expats, especially the ones who try to be your best friend, despite having just met you.

Also, don't always believe the 'ex S.A.S., Navy Seal, Special forces' bullshit, as most who have done it, will 

never ever mention it.  

This is 100% correct. More than that, sit back and roll your eyes at the foreigner who tells you all about the fights he's had and won, how he sees major RTAs here just about every week ... and he stops to help out every time ... How he knows the best way to get illicit this and that without any chance of being caught ... on and on they drone.

On 8/10/2018 at 4:15 PM, NilSS said:

I haven't read through this topic in it's entirety because I have a life, and I only scanned the title headings f the article because it's just the same old same old rewritten and rehashed but I felt like posting.

4: BUSINESS IS A CHALLENGE: Frankly this is cobblers. Business is a challenge anywhere in the world, but Thailand is one of the easiest, most freewheeling places to do business, whether you're a Thai or foreigner. Sure, if you have over your cash to some slag you met in a bar to set up a noodle bar you're going nowhere. The reality is that Thailand is full of foreign talent that got rich taking advantage of the opportunities on offer. Setting up a company is straightforward and easy. It really is.

One of the funniest posts I've seen.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

a vast number of Farangs you meet that didn't make a living an try to tell what a rip off Thailand is.

Trying to lure some baht out of your pocket.

knowing better than you where to get the best bargain.

Knowing better than you where the food served is rotten and old and are actually only jealous about restaurant owners who do make a living.

Knowing better about a visa or even getting a Thai passport..

Knowing every Idiot in their Town but forget to mention themselves.. 

........and so on

...but then moaning that the stone table next to the bar where you are is 5 baht cheaper with the beer... 

• Like 1

On 9/4/2018 at 9:42 PM, HAKAPALITA said:

Heath Insurance is a tricky one.I have a friend whose been here 22 years, his BUPA for him and his Thai Wife has rendered him near broke.

Yeah health insurance is a tricky one.

For most us, even here in the US with our somewhat dysfunctional system, the older you get the more secure you get.

Opposite happens in Thailand. After sixty the rates start to skyrocket.

We’d had BUPA for years, but excluding OPD, since that really raised rates. I had a little skin cancer removed, but of course since it was done as an outpatient procedure, and I wasn’t admitted to hospital wasn’t covered.

Now not sure what BUPA is like now since it’s Cigna, but they also used to start excluding an increasing range of ailments the older you got.

My wife had a ruptured fallopian cyst years ago, that resulted in them excluding any reproductive issues, which for women is a big thing, especially as they get older

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

If you had not used your policy, it would be foulish to claim that "little skin cancer" as the cost of that was probably less then the 10% you get reimbursed if you do not make a claim.

I have just paid out of pocket for any outpatient things very minimal cost here. 

My little  BUPA expense was Cica 17 K US back then 1990 something. Ovaries remove.

If you've lived anywhere outside Thailand, AND think about it, what you call "CORRUPTION" is really just individualized rent seeking by the dominant local armed gang, calling itself "the authorities", "government", etc.

Worldwide - not just in Thailand!

You wouldn't put up with absurd concepts like "passport", "visa", "tax", "work permit", "overstay", "legal tender", and so on from any other person or group in your life - except maybe from "criminals" - unless you were brainwashed and coerced to put up with it by that same gang from cradle to grave. ???? (The OP article is part of the brainwashing process, where the brainwashed instruct the less brainwashed...)

The only reason "corruption" is thought to be less in the "developed" world, is because the looting by the local gangs through "taxes" is more "developed" there, making "illegal" individualized shakedowns unnecessary.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, See Will said:

a vast number of Farangs you meet that didn't make a living an try to tell what a rip off Thailand is.

Trying to lure some baht out of your pocket.

knowing better than you where to get the best bargain.

Knowing better than you where the food served is rotten and old and are actually only jealous about restaurant owners who do make a living.

Knowing better about a visa or even getting a Thai passport..

Knowing every Idiot in their Town but forget to mention themselves.. 

........and so on

...but then moaning that the stone table next to the bar where you are is 5 baht cheaper with the beer... 

Nice one, you just covered about 85% of today's Millennial's here

On 9/7/2018 at 7:44 AM, SpaceKadet said:

And the most expensive sex is with your wife....

Well I’m the lazy slob who doesn’t work.

Mrs G is a Dept. of Defense contractor........dammit that makes me the hooker! LOL

Sort of curious how these things play out.

I used to work for Rockwell when we first deployed the B1 bombers, now’s she’s working on metallurgy to extend their lives until the B-21’s get deployed.

It’s funny old world

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...