Thai environmentalist warns of grim future if cap is not put on foreign tourists

rooster59

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, smedly said:

lets not forget that "we" in the west and pretty much the rest of the world have had freedom of movement to go just about go where ever we like for a very long time, Chinese people are very new to holiday travel outside of China and IMO are being exploited in Thailand, their naivety is being prayed upon

I wonder how many of them go home thinking - what was that all about, well I got a ride in an airplane for the first time and travelled on a luxury bus and got to go on a boat

Exploitation on mass, don't get me wrong I think it is cool that these oppressed people get the opportunity to travel, but they are seriously being (deleted) over big time  

"... well I got a ride in an airplane for the first time and travelled on a luxury bus and got to go on a boat"

487,960,000 air travellers between Chinese destinations in 2016.  China has changed a tad since you were last there I suspect.

www.statista.com/statistics/275907/number-of-air-passengers-in-china

Islamabad is now more popular than Ibiza with UK air travellers   But then so has the "west"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/most-popular-destinations-britons-flights

Thailand needs to copy Bhutan's system on tourism.

Imposing a daily fee of US$250.- on tourists that covers touring and hotel accommodation. It will then become a high value destination with Quality Tourists.

Edited by PAIBKK

I live in Pattaya. I often wonder what is worse: living in pattaya and dealing with the Chinese tourists on a daily basis or some guy saving all his pennies for a dream vacation to Thailand alone or with his family and every single place he goes is packed with the screaming Chinese heathens.

which is worse?

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 5:19 AM, rooster59 said:

the signs are all there that the very reason tourists come could be destroyed by the visitors

That's been true for decades now on the beaches. He's a bit behind the times. They were destroyed by Thais concreting the beaches in a greedy frenzy to attract the flashpacker brigade.

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 5:19 AM, rooster59 said:

Billions being earned in tourist revenue by tourist spending and park fees was not being put back into the parks themselves in improved infrastructure.

Nothing new there. Samet was probably the most blatant example of park officials with hands out for park fees and doing nothing at all to improve the place. They didn't even collect the rubbish. It was a disgrace last time I went there.

1 hour ago, soistalker said:

The rich are far less likely to be environmentally insensitive to your country when they visit.

It seems they are less likely to be environmentally insensitive at first glance. When you really look at it closer, wealthy people are less likely to advocate for or support initiatives which address global warming for example, instead choosing to invest in projects such as drilling for oil, cutting down forrest in the name of development or mining for precious metals all to seek an ROI (return on investment) It does seem like it on the micro level as far as visitations and travel where they are under the microscope but on the macro global financial level where you cannot see where the money is coming from they are the worse, all for the sake of the almighty dollar. 

1 hour ago, Jimdandy said:

It seems they are less likely to be environmentally insensitive at first glance. When you really look at it closer, wealthy people are less likely to advocate for or support initiatives which address global warming for example, instead choosing to invest in projects such as drilling for oil, cutting down forrest in the name of development or mining for precious metals all to seek an ROI (return on investment) It does seem like it on the micro level as far as visitations and travel where they are under the microscope but on the macro global financial level where you cannot see where the money is coming from they are the worse, all for the sake of the almighty dollar. 

Obviously, you don't know anything about the upper/upper-middle classes. And a public school education for you that ended before college?

2 hours ago, soistalker said:

Have you ever had medical care in the third world? You don't know what you've just written.

Third world? Isn't that just a little archaic, or do you really know of two worlds in addition to the one we all share... If you mean have I ever had medical care in country that is not Western Euro master race kind of thinking, I have.

Edited by Jimdandy

21 minutes ago, Jimdandy said:

Third world? Isn't that just a little archaic, or do you really know of two worlds in addition to the one we all share... If you mean have I ever had medical care in country that is not Western Euro master race kind of thinking, I have.

How did your gender reassignment surgery turn out?

23 minutes ago, Jimdandy said:

No. You're right. I'm sure the hygiene and cleanliness of the hospitals are commensurate in any country because we are all the same.