Thailand conscription / Military service

8 hours ago, Benrrd said:

I'm mainly concerned because I don't want to be stuck in Thailand and not being able to finish my last year of university.

You have been told of several viable options about entering Thailand.

If you still feel a great risk, why not defer your trip until you finish your last year of university?

5 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

You have been told of several viable options about entering Thailand.

If you still feel a great risk, why not defer your trip until you finish your last year of university?

I would like to defer but like I said I didn't enroll at the age of 17-18 so I am missing some documents to defer like the sor dor 9 slip 

oh oh you mean defer my trip only just notice I need to go Thailand for personal reasons 

Edited by Benrrd

1 hour ago, Benrrd said:

I would like to defer but like I said I didn't enroll at the age of 17-18 so I am missing some documents to defer like the sor dor 9 slip 

That was the responsibility of your parents or family. You need to ask them what happened and why?

At 17 your not classified as a responsible adult in Thailand.

1 hour ago, Benrrd said:

oh oh you mean defer my trip only just notice I need to go Thailand for personal reasons 

British passport with Tourist Visa is your safest option to avoid problems.

No one can guarantee you will not be apprehended.

I would be bringing proof of your University enrolment, just in case.

1 hour ago, Benrrd said:

I need to go Thailand for personal reasons 

If any of those reasons involve visiting a government office and showing Thai ID, then the risk becomes greater.

From your English grammar I suspect you've been in the UK for some considerable time.

Edited by Tanoshi

47 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

If any of those reasons involve visiting a government office and showing Thai ID, then the risk becomes greater.

From your English grammar I suspect you've been in the UK for some considerable time.

I live in England since I was around 7 but every year I went back to Thailand to do many thing like Thai ID etc. But this yh I will be going back not to do anything related to any offices or to make my self known anyways I won't even be in my birth place I will be going to Chiang Mai for 2 months and I was born in roi et.

going back to what I said, I was told I can be arrested on arrival because I  didn't go to draft. That was my main concern to find answers but seems like I am very close to my answer and ways of going around it just for this year that being get a visa exemption on arrival with my British passport and just leave my Thai ID and passport in the uk 

1 hour ago, Benrrd said:

That was my main concern to find answers but seems like I am very close to my answer and ways of going around it just for this year that being get a visa exemption on arrival with my British passport and just leave my Thai ID and passport in the uk 

In your situation I certainly wouldn't advise a Visa exempt entry.

This means after 30 days you would have to apply for a 30 day extension at an Immigration office, copies of documents, possible questions etc, (1,900 baht) or exit and re-enter on another Visa exempt entry.

You'd also need to show a return ticket out of Thailand within 30 days to allow boarding.

A Tourist Visa would give you a 60 day entry without any need to visit Immigration, or cross borders to re-enter. (£25)

8 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

'... on my British passport would say Thai nationality ...'

Where, and why, would your British passport mention Thai nationality? 

Maybe he just meant - Place of Birth?

12 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

'... on my British passport would say Thai nationality ...'

Where, and why, would your British passport mention Thai nationality? 

Yes this has been resolved many post ago thanks for the reminder .

15 hours ago, nglodnig said:

Slightly related, a Swiss friend of mine who lived all his life in South Africa returned back to Switzerland and was sent to the Army Office for conscription. He explained he only spoke English (and Afrikaans) so he got off.

Instead, he will have to pay a tax every year until he's 40, proportional to his income :(

First of all, DON'T register! You say you don't mind 'serving'. Clearly, you have not read about the abuse of Thai conscripts. Furthermore, why would you even consider adding your body to perpetuate military rule here? If you really love Thailand, don't join the system. Thai means free.

I agree completely with OPs here. Using your UK doc, apply for a visa at a diplomatic mission and DON'T TELL them about your Thai passport! And when you come here, leave it, and any other Thai docs, safely at home in the UK.

Were it I, I think I'd wait until the military is over here. (Admittedly, that could be a long, long wait!)