Marriage to foreigners not all it's cracked up to be complains Isaan woman stuck in Farangland!

rooster59

On 2/3/2018 at 4:09 PM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I find British and German to be particularly dumb when choosing their Thai partners.

From my past Thai news reading the Germans seem to prefer TS. So guess the Germans may have more of an appendage preference rather than character preference!

On 03/02/2018 at 8:40 AM, jenny2017 said:

Money grabbing....:shock1: The woman doesn't seem to be educated, even by Thai standards. 

grab
ɡrab/
verb

1. 1.
    grasp or seize suddenly and roughly.
    "she grabbed him by the shirt collar"
    synonyms: seize, grasp, snatch, take hold of, grip, clasp, clutch; More

2. informal
    attract the attention of; make an impression on.
    "how does that grab you?"

The term is money grubbing.

money-grubbing

UK     US   

Someone who is money-grubbing has money as their main interest and does anything possible to get a lot of it.

Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
Edited by BangkokReady
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, micmichd said:

I doubt that those people on welfare or minimum wage in Farangland would call their country "developed". Quite contrary, many of those say everything is going down the gutter over there. And many (if not most) put the blame on immigrants. 

Would you like to live there as an immigrant?

He's right though, she was an old trout....

Waking up beside that would be a rough way to start your day..... 

Really!! Must have been on a double dose of Enid Blyton or was it Aesops Fables!!

Wonder what circles she was frequenting in Isaan Thailand?? Looking after your own children heaven forbid! Maids??? What no Maids?? Expensive!! So the caves still exist in Isaan Land??? Damn Kemo Sabi White Man he speak with Fork Tongue!!

4 hours ago, watcharacters said:

I've run out of blood in my heart for this mistreated Issan Lady..   Does she have an exit plan?

Judging by the video, she doesn't seem to need one. Goes to work. Cooks. Cleans the house. Just trying to educate other Thai girls about expectations of what life in Farangland is like. (To paraphrase: "Attention <deleted>, ain't no maids, or aunties to help you out here".)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FunkyDunky58 said:

What an ignorant word to use (Farangland). What would Thai people think if we called Thailand Asialand? What was notably missing from this was any commentary from her on her man. Nothing about love or being with him making up for it all. Just complaints about not having money, things, and favours handed to her on a plate, which is what she very much looks like having gone into the relationship for. They say don't be with the woman you love, but with the woman that loves you. Sage advice. I would add be with the woman that loves you, not the woman that loves your money.

I know! Is it supposed to accurately depict "the multitude of countries the people Thai call 'farang' come from"? TV should ban it. Or at least limit the use to thread headlines, posts, and PMs only. And Thailand should only be called Asialand after Thai culture and language [inevitably] permeates the rest of Asia!

1 minute ago, speedtripler said:

Are we not allowed to call them ladyboys anymore? 

:biggrin:

Do you have an issue with showing those who are gender challenged  respect?

Maybe you should thank your lucky stars you were not so challenged..

I think they deserve respect.    And I don't reserve that only for the "ladyboys" in Thailand. 

Please just try to be a little bit tolerant.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Do you have an issue with showing those who are gender challenged  respect?

Maybe you should thank your lucky stars you were not so challenged..

I think they deserve respect.    And I don't reserve that only for the "ladyboys" in Thailand. 

Please just try to be a little bit tolerant.

Cheers

As far as I know, there is nothing derogatory about calling them ladyboys.... 

"Chicks with dicks" might be a bit iffy if they're hormones are out of balance...  

Edited by speedtripler

5 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Have watched this girl's video 5 times now, (almost to the point where I'm starting to feel like I know her :biggrin:).

I struggled with her unfamiliar Isaan dialect. Her nick name is Faa (Sky). She and her husband have at least two kids. She is definitely not complaining. She is definitely not bitter or angry or acting like she was deceived before moving abroad. In fact, she seemed reasonably content from what I can tell from the video. The place where she is living looks pretty decent just from what little of the furnishings you can see.

Her message in the video tape is "we have enough to live on and to take care of ourselves and our kids, but I want all my friends back home to know that if you think having a foreign husband means you are going to be living on easy street that's probably not going to happen. She proceeds to rattle off examples of things which they can't afford to do, but this is not done in a plaintive manner but to caution everyone back home about the realities of living abroad. She does tell everybody all of the things she has to do for herself like cooking, and child care, etc., but again this wasn't done with a plaintive tone but trying to educate her friends back home about the realities of living abroad. I couldn't find anywhere where she was complaining about not having a maid (maybe I missed it because of the dialect)

The tone of her message is not much different than if an American on social security married a Thai girl, in Thailand, and sent a Facebook message to his near-retirement buddies back home saying 'I'm doing fine: we have a nice house, eat good food, and splurge every once in a while, but if anybody back home thinks that by moving to Thailand on a government pension you'll be living like the King of Siam, they better think again.' That's all the girl was saying.

Under any circumstances where there's a surprise limited budget,    I'd imagine a person would be disappointed.

• Like 1

On 3.2.2018 at 6:05 AM, chippendale said:

Typical. Marry a peasant and move her out of the jungle to the developed world ... What results do you expect?

th is not as underdeveloped as u indicate...and I wondered if not knowledge is widespread as some mention here....many of my thai friends been oversee for holidays one for his honeymoon .... even outside towns internet is quiet fast....yes in the eightys ninetys but sure not in 2018 anymore...all asia went up the economic curve while europe declines...the majority of tourism in europe comes from asia china spore thailand etc..i would exclude myanmar for now but look at it in five ten years .... the stereotype ( all thai women are lined up to marry to the west ) disappeared in reality its only left in the minds of the blind and ignorant..in reality if u want a good relationship with a decent thai lady with a good wealthy family background you gotta try hard ...easier in europe  I guess...sure u always can marry a hooker but that you can do back home around the corner too....more hookers around most corners in europe than in thailand

Edited by free123
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, free123 said:

th is not as underdeveloped as u indicate...and I wondered if not knowledge is widespread as some mention here....many of my thai friends been oversee for holidays one for his honeymoon .... even outside towns internet is quiet fast....yes in the eightys ninetys but sure not in 2018 anymore...all asia went up the economic curve while europe declines...the majority of tourism in europe comes from asia china spore thailand etc..i would exclude myanmar for now but look at it in five ten years .... the stereotype ( all thai women are lined up to marry to the west ) disappeared in reality its only left in the minds of the blind and ignorant..in reality if u want a good relationship with a decent thai lady with a good wealthy family background you gotta try hard ...easier in europe  I guess...sure u always can marry a hooker but that you can do back home around the corner too....more hookers around most corners in europe than in thailand

I'm not sure if I can agree with anything you've written.

I'm a little confused.

19 hours ago, MrY said:

My bad. Correction:

Note: This is an anecdote, not a translation.

Why would you think my post could be confused with a translation of the OP's post? It seems to me both the OP's post and mine were sufficiently stated and specifically different.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Fish Head Soup said:

Some peoples circumstances are better than others. That's life.

I know its opening a can of worms......but often the economic indicators people look at do not equal more happiness.

You just have to look at rates of depression and suicide amongst males in Western countries to realise this.

When will people start to understand more about what makes them happy rather than blindly thinking more money is the answer?

5 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

But whatever his country is, I wish I could speak the native  language as well as he did with his English posting.     I just don't get it but others may.

They are trying to say that Thailand is more developed than people give it credit for. They talk about the fact that many Asians now partake in tourism to Europe. Whilst demographics are changing I disagree with a few things this person says. The reality is that a huge chunk of the world are living on very small incomes which means they can't afford luxuries such as travel. This includes China and Thailand. They say there are more hookers in Europe than in Thailand....I disagree with this too.

1 minute ago, strewth mick said:

They are trying to say that Thailand is more developed than people give it credit for. They talk about the fact that many Asians now partake in tourism to Europe. Whilst demographics are changing I disagree with a few things this person says. The reality is that a huge chunk of the world are living on very small incomes which means they can't afford luxuries such as travel. This includes China and Thailand. They say there are more hookers in Europe than in Thailand....I disagree with this too.

He said ALL of that??

Thanks as I would have gone to the grave without that awareness..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, watcharacters said:

A you referring to transgender?

2 hours ago, speedtripler said:

Are we not allowed to call them ladyboys anymore? :biggrin:

2 hours ago, MrY said:

I think he is referring to the TransSexual (just a hunch).

1 hour ago, watcharacters said:

You and speedtripler should get together for a "clutch"     :smile:      555

Hey, Transsexual and Transgender are not the same or interchangeable. So if someone says TS, then that is probably what they mean. Neither one is a derogatory term either.

9 minutes ago, MrY said:

Hey, Transsexual and Transgender are not the same or interchangeable. So if someone says TS, then that is probably what they mean. Neither one is a derogatory term either.

"Neither one is a derogatory term either."

I agree with you but I hope you can appreciate that your claim is based on context.

Edited by watcharacters

1 minute ago, watcharacters said:

I agree with you but I hope you can appreciate that your claim is based on context.

YES. Every statement should be taken in it's context. (You just happened to group my remark with someone else's. They were quite dissimilar.)