Dubai versus Thailand for an expat to live

Inspire

Rather silly thread. IMO no comparison between countries. Different culture, one isn't cheap, let alone cheerful, and we can't retire there anyway. 

I have been there, before they built all those new buildings trying to get the Beckhams of the world to buy property, and I didn't want to live there then. Can't see it's got any better since.

I wonder how many people commenting negatively about Dubai have even been there. And I'm sure if the same question was asked of expats based in Dubai they would be equally as scathing about Thailand - its lawlessness, filthy streets, hanging wires, dual-pricing etc etc etc - as those here are about Dubai.

29 minutes ago, Lacessit said:
19 hours ago, Acemaker said:

The Kebabs are much better.    :biggrin:

Is that the thin pastry/bread on the outside intended to hide what's inside?:sorry:

what you refer to is a "shwarma" not a kebab.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the reasons to choose Dubai.

1. No corruption

2. Quite safe

3. Many beautiful buildings, malls, and many restaurants from all over the world.

4. You can buy house, villa, condo in special area.

5. If your a good business man you can make lots of money and pay no tax, or if you are an employee with a good salary.

Here are the reason not to choose Dubai.

1. It is an Islamic country no matter that Dubai is relaxed still laws are somehow apply

2. It is very expensive to live in Dubai so a salary of 6000 Dollar a month is just enough to pay your rent and expenses and if you are careful save a bit.

3. The law keep on changing so you never know where you stand.

4. If you loose your job and not find new one you must leave the country after 2 months unless you open your own company and give visa to yourself and of course pay lots of money every year to extend your license.

5. Most expats in Thailand are living on limited retirement money and you will not even be able to pay your rent with that amount of money in Dubai.

5, You can drinks either in bars , disco in the hotels or in your own place. So forget about having a beer in a restaurant or on road side like Thailand.

So if you are a business man and know how to make money I choose Dubai but if you want to live your life and enjoy and have fun and at the same time you may be able to make some money too then I choose Thailand.

• 1 month later...

One of many stories

“Sheikh Mohammed is one of the most powerful people in the world and he can get you even in Finland”, with these chilling words from an Emirati official, Tiina Jauhiaien was released after two weeks in UAE custody.

http://www.helsinkitimes.fi/finland/finland-news/domestic/15429-sheikh-mohammed-can-get-you-anywhere-in-the-world-freed-tiina-jauhiainen.html

Archived