Best bank

lyseoy

I really like my bank, Bangkok Bank but when my visa card expires in a few years I will be closing my account and transferring to another bank as they are getting into bed with union pay and I refuse point blank to use that card as it is not accepted by most western businesses, it is also not accepted at many thai businesses. Hopefully they will come to their senses before hand and continue on with visa otherwise they are going to lose a lot of their customers, especially all us farangs that need to work with overseas payments

• Like 2

I guess you mean Bangkok Bank and up to know I agree with you. However,  their debit card currently in use is the Visa Card. This one is being replaced with the Union Pay card and it seems that the number of businesses accepting this card is limited.

I recently lost my BKK Bank Visa Debit card.... swallowed by a poorly maintained ATM. This time I can only get an Union Pay card as they are no longer issuing Visa debit cards. I visited 3 places today:

1) Fascino Pharmacy.... Initally they couldn't accept it until they realised that they were using the wrong terminal. Switch to the BKK Bank terminal and all OK.... With me having to enter my pincode. Happy with that.

2) Marks and Spencers.... no problem, pincode again and away we go.

3) Central Festival Pattaya Supermarket... Ooop... sorry, we cant take Union Pay.

So which chains will not accept it? I have heard that Big C will also not take it?

Feedback please folks

PS.... good to see the pincode being required.

Edited by tolsti

Everything that Bangkok Bank does seems to be for its own convenience, or the convenience of its partners. I have to transfer money to an SCB account to pay my Citibank card - impossible to pay directly from Bangkok Bank. 

I can't comment on other banks.. but I am happy with Kasikorn which I now already have since about 7 years.

Never had a really problem with it and the staff is mostly friendly.

The online banking does what I need, and some bills I can automaticaly let deduct the money like (Electric, Creditcard, Internet).

They even have a mobile banking app for windows mobile, which most others not offer (not important, as I maybe have to change anyway to another operating system).

Edited by HampiK
stuff->staff
  • Like 2

I have used BB, K Bank and now use Krungsri as my main bank. For me Krungsri is the best by some distance. Internet banking is easy to follow and was quick and easy to set up, when it has been necessary to call them i have always got through quickly to an efficient customer service operator who has quickly corrected any issue and from time to time they call me to check that payments being made on my credit card are not fraudulent.

In addition i swore of BB completely after getting trapped for cash abroad when their new ATM card (non Visa) would not work abroad, despite going to lengths to explain to them when they gave it to me that i travelled frequently and it needed to work.

• Like 2

Just to clarify why I like BB over SCB for one reason only that is the BB gives me always a far better exchange rate than the SCB when I transfer  money for New Zealand.

When I sent over my last payment of N.Z. $  it was change to 1.5 million Bhat the difference to me was 19000 Bhat better off with BB.

I do not have and also can not get a Thai credit card  ( retired not working ) I have had a N.Z. Credit card for years. My partner has a Thai credit card that we use up to max 100k if required  in Thai Bhat

Bangkok Bank -- Good RMF/LTF and other investment funds. Good for transferring money into Thailand because they have a New York branch and a simple ACH transfer from the U.S. can get money here with low processing fees. (Unfortunately many U.S. banks limit the amount that can be transferred by ACH). Bad experience trying to get money out of Thailand when the clerk said they cannot use ACH# and must have Swift (many small banks do not have swift code). Once I ran into the Branch Manager's office, suddenly they changed their mind.

Kasikorn Bank -- always good service. Never any problems, even with international transfers using ACH #.

SBC - always good service. Never any problems, but I can't seem to get my VISA ATM card accepted when buying online.

If you have two Thai bank accounts, is it easy to transfer Baht between them using online transfers?

I'm wondering if the best solution is to have two accounts and two banks, maybe one at Bangkok Bank that you use to bring money into Thailand and another somewhere else that you use for everyday spending because it gives you a visa debit card, and you fill up the second account by transferring smaller amounts from the BB account. That doesn't address the difficulty with BB of getting money out of Thailand though...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jerry921 said:

If you have two Thai bank accounts, is it easy to transfer Baht between them using online transfers?

I'm wondering if the best solution is to have two accounts and two banks, maybe one at Bangkok Bank that you use to bring money into Thailand and another somewhere else that you use for everyday spending because it gives you a visa debit card, and you fill up the second account by transferring smaller amounts from the BB account. That doesn't address the difficulty with BB of getting money out of Thailand though...

I only had trouble with BB because the girl behind the counter didn't know about the ACH banking system in the U.S. Large banks usually have swift codes, so I am sure she only had experience with that. I have 2 different banks for different reasons. Online transfers are simple and easy to do.

Kasikorn. Good app, good online banking, ATMs located nearly everywhere, good English speaking call center and simple to organise transferring etc. 

Bangkok Bank were the one before, but now this Union Pay nonsense I won't use them again. 

• Like 1

Walked into a Bangkok Bank branch yesterday and spoke with an assistant manager.  She tells me that their are no branches of BB in New York although many here say otherwise.  My question is can I open an account with BB in New York from here in Thailand?

Banking in the US hasn't caught up yet. So I doubt you'll find many Asian banks with retail outlets there. Then whether or not you can open and account without being a resident is up to local regs. 

I thought maybe CIMB but they don't have a retail branch there either

2 hours ago, hroman said:

Walked into a Bangkok Bank branch yesterday and spoke with an assistant manager.  She tells me that their are no branches of BB in New York although many here say otherwise.  My question is can I open an account with BB in New York from here in Thailand?

Does not work like that. If you have a look on the BB web site there are (or were?) instructions as to what you need to do to put payments from your US bank to your Thai account via the New York coding. Same for the UK - you cannot go in and open a normal retail account in the branch in London.

Here is a link - http://www.bangkokbank.com/bangkokbank/personalbanking/dailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUSA/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUSA.aspx

Edited by topt
add link

18 hours ago, hroman said:

Go back to the branch and tell the friendly manager to look on their own company's website and behold, the New York Branch will appear before her eyes.

You don't need to open an account with the New York Branch, instruction are here on BBL's website.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUSA/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUSA.aspx

On 04/02/2018 at 3:34 PM, seajae said:

I really like my bank, Bangkok Bank but when my visa card expires in a few years I will be closing my account and transferring to another bank as they are getting into bed with union pay and I refuse point blank to use that card as it is not accepted by most western businesses, it is also not accepted at many thai businesses. Hopefully they will come to their senses before hand and continue on with visa otherwise they are going to lose a lot of their customers, especially all us farangs that need to work with overseas payments

You can still get visa cards from them one only needs to ask.

• Thanks 1

On 2/5/2018 at 10:10 AM, hroman said:

The branch of Bangkok bank in New York does not have a charter to operate as a retail bank, ie; a bank that opens accounts and accepts deposits for individuals.

It is a 'commercial' bank that is chartered to offer services to companies.

The way that BB's transfers to an account in Thailand works is:

BB's New York branch is part of the U.S. Federal Reserve's Automated Clearing House (ACH) network - that network is used exclusively by U.S. banks to transfer money among banks within the ACH network within the U.S.;

Each bank within the U.S. ACH network has a unique 'routing number' that identifies the bank within the network - BB's New York branch routing number is 026008691;

For a U.S bank that is chartered to offer 'retail services', ie; open accounts and hold deposits for individuals, when one opens a checking (current) account' one's checks are printed with the 'routing number' (usually in the bottom left corner of the check) and an account number which identifies the holder's account at the bank (usually in the right corner of the check);

Because BB's New York branch isn't a retail bank, one does not have an account number with BB's New York branch because they are not chartered to offer accounts to individuals;

So what BB does is allow one to make ACH transfers (or direct deposit, using the ACH, of things like pension payments, Social Security payments, etc.) TO BB New York using BB New York's 'routing number' - then BB uses the account number of one's Thailand-based bank account to credit the ACH transfer to one's account in Thailand.

So as long as one has an account at another U.S. retail bank and an account at BB in Thailand, one is good to go - no need to worry about setting up an account at BB New York since it can't (legally) be done and isn't required anyway.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, gentlemanjackdarby said:

For a U.S bank that is chartered to offer 'retail services', ie; open accounts and hold deposits for individuals, when one opens a checking (current) account' one's checks are printed with the 'routing number' (usually in the bottom left corner of the check) and an account number which identifies the holder's account at the bank (usually in the right corner of the check);

The bottom row of all the US checks I've seen have 3 numbers. Starting at the left (after a divider symbol) is the always-9-digit routing number, as you say. After a divider symbol and a bit of a space comes the account number, and then there's another divider symbol and a space and the check number (usually 4 or 5 digits). As the spaces are small, the account number falls to the middle-left of the check. So I agree with your entire post except the one detail "(usually in the right corner of the check)"

The number font is a bit hard to read, it's designed to make machine reading easy, which is also why they've added divider symbols between the elements. This system was designed long ago when machine reading was not nearly as developed as today, and it's designed for high machine-reading reliability, not to make the numbers easy for humans to read.

ABA routing numbers are always 9 digits long. The length of account numbers in the US vary by bank, with some banks supporting multiple lengths (due to mergers & acquisitions). The ACH standard allows up to 17 digits for the account number, and there's a database that gives the correct account number length for each routing number. Any Thai bank could do what Bangkok Bank is doing, as long as their account numbers are 17 digits long or fewer, by registering a commercial bank in the US and obtaining a US ABA routing number.

I guess that's more than anyone probably wanted to know.

• Like 1

On 05/02/2018 at 4:10 PM, hroman said:

She  was half right, there are no BB retail branches in the US, nor in the UK, just a commercial branch in New York and one in London, but both can be referenced for retail deposits and transactions passed via them - you can't open an account with those branches because they don't have a retail banking license..

• 2 weeks later...

not sure if i am off-topic: I want to buy stuff at Amazon.UK. For delivery to (a) Thailand and (b) to the UK.  My Canadian Visa card is not accepted by Amazon.UK. If I obtain a Visa card from my Thai bank, will that be accepted by Amazon?

I guess what I am asking is, which country's bank Visa card is accepted by Amazon.UK. ?

2 hours ago, sendintheclowns said:

not sure if i am off-topic: I want to buy stuff at Amazon.UK. For delivery to (a) Thailand and (b) to the UK.  My Canadian Visa card is not accepted by Amazon.UK. If I obtain a Visa card from my Thai bank, will that be accepted by Amazon?

I guess what I am asking is, which country's bank Visa card is accepted by Amazon.UK. ?

I know my n.z. one is excepted and del to Thailand no probs

16 hours ago, i claudius said:

Krungsi. Excellent bank and service also Ayudda very good .I was not impressed with Bangkok Bank and closed my account. Slthough one of my wifes accs is still with them

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

''One of my wifes accs'' - how many do you have?. reminds me of the ''Eats Shoots and Leaves'' joke. ....Priceless 

''One of my wifes accs'' - how many do you have?. reminds me of the ''Eats Shoots and Leaves'' joke. ....Priceless 
Sorry? Whats wrong with more than one account .my wife has 2 here and i have 2 also we have accounts in the uk one of which is a joint one with my wife. Whats the problem with that?

On February 6, 2561 BE at 9:51 PM, Ditto said:

You can still get visa cards from them one only needs to ask.

Yes, from memory when they tried to give me the new one, i requested the Visa. They said i could still get but i would need to go to the Bangkok Bank HQ in Silom to get it. Seemed like they were trying to phase it out, but realised that some people would still insist on Visa. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/16/2018 at 9:31 PM, i claudius said:

Krungsi. Excellent bank and service also Ayudda very good .I was not impressed with Bangkok Bank and closed my account. Slthough one of my wifes accs is still with them

OK, do you know what, if anything, you pay to receive remittances from abroad? And how much is the fees to withdraw from ATMs? Any fees to pay with the card at the shops?