Israel issues deportation notices to African migrants

webfact

Israel issues deportation notices to African migrants

Israel has started issuing deportation notices to African asylum seekers from Eritrea and Sudan.

On Sunday, the first wave of notices were distributed to men who are in the country without families, the Israeli daily Haaretz reported.

The 20,000 people who are not held in the country's open detention facility will be expected to leave within 60 days, or risk being imprisoned indefinitely.

Full story: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/02/israel-issues-deportation-notices-african-migrants-180204192309308.html

-- AL JAZEERA 2018-02-05

Are those targeted for deportation Christian or Muslim? Upon reading the news link it appears Rwanda and Uganda will not accept those forcibly deported from Israel, so what next, indefinite prison time?

3 hours ago, simple1 said:

Are those targeted for deportation Christian or Muslim? Upon reading the news link it appears Rwanda and Uganda will not accept those forcibly deported from Israel, so what next, indefinite prison time?

Even though right-wing politicians and populist activists try to paint religion as an issue, not really the case. There's currently little, as far as I am aware , indicating religious extremism trends and such. I don't know that there's "targeting" along religious affiliations.

The Rwanda and Uganda things - I think there were agreements signed, previously. Probably involving both aid (military and commercial) and bribes to key personnel in them countries (whether directly or not is another matter). These fell apart when things were exposed, or groups opposing/not benefiting from agreements made a stink. Then came the denials and counter-statements. Kinda hard to tell, among this mess where things actually stand. Possibly a bit fluid.

I think eventually some will be accepted, but not all. As to how the Israeli government will deal with the situation - about as logically and efficiently as the EU, would be my guess. So probably more trouble on that front for years to come.

On reflection - the last bit stands with regard to the current and future circumstances. But on the other hand, it cannot be denied that constructing an effective border fence along Israel's border with Egypt dramatically reduced the number of incoming migrants/asylum seekers/refugees/whatever.

Edited by Morch
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, simple1 said:

Next stop Europe, maybe?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Stop obfuscating - either you have verifiable evidence that 99% of the deportees are economic migrants or you don't. Which is it?

You prove otherwise. How many have cash in the bank, pay their own rent, don't beg for money or food, don't claim government hand-outs, if available to them or contribute to the public purse. 

I'll go on the side of a very small percentage do any of the above.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Next stop Europe, maybe?

Israel has its own asylum seeker assessment protocols, not linked to UNHCR. From reading some background info it appears probable the people in the OP will be held in detention if Rwanda / Uganda will not accept them until a third party country agrees to resettle them or they volunteer to return to their home country.

As Morch states above incentives were paid, but now the recipient countries (read bribed politicians) have backed off.

2 minutes ago, simple1 said:

One would think Israel has very secure borders / immigration protocols, so how would they illegally enter Israel? I assume they entered legally and have since had their asylum request rejected for whatever reason/s.

With regard to the OP, that's the situation nowadays - wasn't always the case. Until the border fence with Egypt was completed, thousands managed to cross illegally each year. Since then arrival figures dropped significantly. So no, most entered illegally.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Morch said:

With regard to the OP, that's the situation nowadays - wasn't always the case. Until the border fence with Egypt was completed, thousands managed to cross illegally each year. Since then arrival figures dropped significantly. So no, most entered illegally.

Thanks for reminding me. I recall many faced appalling abuse in the people smuggler camps in the Sinai.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, simple1 said:

Israel has its own asylum seeker assessment protocols, not linked to UNHCR. From reading some background info it appears probable the people in the OP will be held in detention if Rwanda / Uganda will not accept them until a third party country agrees to resettle them or they volunteer to return to their home country.

As Morch states above incentives were paid, but now the recipient countries (read bribed politicians) have backed off.

I don't know that "incentives" were actually paid, discussed or promised. Could be none of these, if unlikely. But there's this - each deportee receives a few thousand US$, and I would guess authorities on the destination country are aware of this and do their best to liberate said funds in whichever ways. Once divested of funds, they can be kicked out...

22 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I don't think you understand how facts work. Throwing our unsubstantiated nonsense, based solely on your innate prejudice, and expecting others to refute it does nothing to bolster our claims; it merely shows how weak your assertions are when you have to resort to fabrication to justify yourself. 

I notice you said 'our' unsubstantiated nonsense. An unconscious mistake maybe?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Morch said:

I don't know that "incentives" were actually paid, discussed or promised. Could be none of these, if unlikely. But there's this - each deportee receives a few thousand US$, and I would guess authorities on the destination country are aware of this and do their best to liberate said funds in whichever ways. Once divested of funds, they can be kicked out...

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/israel-to-pay-rwanda-5-000-for-every-asylum-seeker-deported-there-1.5466805

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Well spotted - fat fingers coupled with R & T being neighbours on my keyboard...

But back to the topic at hand?

Nah not really going back on topic, can't see the point of going further than my own views because the end result will have zero effect on the situation.

Concentrating on more important things such as will my leek seedlings survive the attacks by the local insect brigades etc and should I cut the grass or have a beer or have a beer while cutting the grass??????

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Nah not really going back on topic, can't see the point of going further than my own views because the end result will have zero effect on the situation.

Concentrating on more important things such as will my leek seedlings survive the attacks by the local insect brigades etc and should I cut the grass or have a beer or have a beer while cutting the grass??????

I am no expert on leeks, juvenile or otherwise, but I can vouch for the positive benefits of beer.

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

You prove otherwise. How many have cash in the bank, pay their own rent, don't beg for money or food, don't claim government hand-outs, if available to them or contribute to the public purse. 

I'll go on the side of a very small percentage do any of the above.

You're the one making the assertion; you're the one who should offer proof, not the old falacy of asking someone to prove a negative.

About 60,000 refugees mostly from Eritrea and Sudan, fleeing persecution and the wars there crossed Israel’s border with Egypt before Israel erected a fence.

Maybe you have interviewed them yourself, because Israel has only managed successfully to process 1% of applications so far, but that's enough for them to turn away all the remaining refugees. Another shameful irony of history.

"But some have lived for years in Israel and many work in low-paying jobs that many Israelis shun. The country has granted asylum to fewer than one per cent of those who have applied and has a years-long backlog of applicants."
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/israel-issues-deportation-notices-african-refugees-benjamin-netanyahu-a8194306.html

Edited by dexterm

1 hour ago, dexterm said:

You're the one making the assertion; you're the one who should offer proof, not the old falacy of asking someone to prove a negative.

About 60,000 refugees mostly from Eritrea and Sudan, fleeing persecution and the wars there crossed Israel’s border with Egypt before Israel erected a fence.

Maybe you have interviewed them yourself, because Israel has only managed successfully to process 1% of applications so far, but that's enough for them to turn away all the remaining refugees. Another shameful irony of history.

"But some have lived for years in Israel and many work in low-paying jobs that many Israelis shun. The country has granted asylum to fewer than one per cent of those who have applied and has a years-long backlog of applicants."
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/israel-issues-deportation-notices-african-refugees-benjamin-netanyahu-a8194306.html

I thought that you were thoroughly against people from one continent , going to illegally settle in another Continent on other peoples land .

As you oppose Europeans going to settle on Arab lands , I would have thought that you would also oppose Africans going to live on Arab lands as well , so you would support the removal of the Africans back to their African land ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1